What happened to my crown?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I suppose their argument would be that you didn't bid anyway and the person who bought it did. If you had bid £1010 you would of got it.

In reply to PJ - - - - - - >

That's the whole point of my anger. It was supposed to be an AUCTION to raise as much as possible for charity. The £10K value is quite realistic IMO. If there had been enough publicity about the auction and how to bid, with a reasonable period to do so eg all week, it would have sold for much more than £1000 (I KNOW this because I would have bid myself).

If it was just sold to an insider on a nudge, nudge, wink, wink basis that is probably illegal.

BTW they have auctions for children in need of unique items eg dinner with a celebrity. These items go for huge amounts of money, much more than the actual value of the goods.

it was shown in the morning show of that very same day and told it was a slient auction and you had to bid on the web or via the phone lines in that very show (all was said in the morning show)

It was a disgrace , Im in full agreement with Strato even though I wouldnt have bought it! They did themselves and more importantly, the charity a dis-service. They should come clean and make a sizeable donation to the charity......same on them!

:angry:

As I've said before due to my personal circumstances I find it hard to watch the evenings and usually have a trip out with the v box set. This year we were at home and had the sound down as the items weren't on the web site till they were about to be shown. From what I saw the whole event didn't appear to be organised as well as other evenings.
The selection of auctions were poor in previous years, I recall a Dawn Bibby auction raising over 4,000 pounds and I think someone paid over 6,000 for Joe Mc to sing for them last year.
How much would an avid QVC fan pay to be guaranteed:
A yearly subscription to all the QVC events with the promise of goody bags?
A yearly subscription to be on the testing panel and get to keep the products?
An invite to a live show of their choice, with goody bags/transport/hotel, building tour/meet presenters and lunch?
A specialized session of their choice with ie. Beauty skin / makeup with Alison or Garden makeover with Richard or Crafting Session with Steph.
Neither of these would be much of an outlay for QVC since a lot go on anyway.

it was shown in the morning show of that very same day and told it was a slient auction and you had to bid on the web or via the phone lines in that very show (all was said in the morning show)

I never watch the morning show so didn't know about this. It should have been repeated throughout the day, should have been trailered all week, and plastered all over the website.

This is an absoulite scandal! What was the winning bid?? How much did it raise for the worthy cause of Breat Cancer care!! Did 'someone' get it for just £1,000?? If so, was this a member of staff who 'set it aside for herself/himself by bidding £1,000.

As I've said before due to my personal circumstances I find it hard to watch the evenings and usually have a trip out with the v box set. This year we were at home and had the sound down as the items weren't on the web site till they were about to be shown. From what I saw the whole event didn't appear to be organised as well as other evenings.
The selection of auctions were poor in previous years, I recall a Dawn Bibby auction raising over 4,000 pounds and I think someone paid over 6,000 for Joe Mc to sing for them last year.
How much would an avid QVC fan pay to be guaranteed:
A yearly subscription to all the QVC events with the promise of goody bags?
A yearly subscription to be on the testing panel and get to keep the products?
An invite to a live show of their choice, with goody bags/transport/hotel, building tour/meet presenters and lunch?
A specialized session of their choice with ie. Beauty skin / makeup with Alison or Garden makeover with Richard or Crafting Session with Steph.
Neither of these would be much of an outlay for QVC since a lot go on anyway.

brilliant idea!

as for the crown, it seems obvious to me, if there was nothing to hide, strato would get his answer easily.

If the winning bid was £1000 then that's that. Whether a presenter bought it is neither here nor there as long as there was nothing underhand to ensure it did go to a presenter. And there is nothing to clarify whether it went to a presenter or not ... and there's nothing other than the presumed value of the thing to evaluate how much it would have actually gone for. If whoever bought it has asked for their name to be confidential then there is no way to find out. And if that's the case they are not going to confirm or deny that it's a presenter. They can't!

I understand your point of view Strato but I'm not sure QVC have done anything wrong here. Other than failed to get anything like the money they thought they would for the damned thing.

Surely those who bid on it would have to be told the outcome if they wanted to know?. I thought there were rules and regs in place for things like this, like when you enter a competiton or raffle. Appreciate someone who places a winning bid may not want their name revealed but I simply can't understand why the amount of money rasied is top secret. They're making it look dodgy even if it was all legimate.

If the winning bid was £1000 then that's that. Whether a presenter bought it is neither here nor there as long as there was nothing underhand to ensure it did go to a presenter. And there is nothing to clarify whether it went to a presenter or not ... and there's nothing other than the presumed value of the thing to evaluate how much it would have actually gone for. If whoever bought it has asked for their name to be confidential then there is no way to find out. And if that's the case they are not going to confirm or deny that it's a presenter. They can't!

I understand your point of view Strato but I'm not sure QVC have done anything wrong here. Other than failed to get anything like the money they thought they would for the damned thing.

But if bidding was slow what was to stop them saying 'bidding's up to £800 now , keep bidding' etc and actually encouraging people to raise a far greater amount. From what I'm reading here it sounds as if it all went quiet for some strange reason.

As I've said several times, there should have been MUCH more publicity about how to bid, there should have been announcements throughout the day saying what the current highest bid was, to encourage more bids, and the final bids should have been live on the final show.

The suspicion is that there was so little publicity to keep the bids low so that an insider could buy it, who would also know how the bidding was going, unlike their other customers.

But if bidding was slow what was to stop them saying 'bidding's up to £800 now , keep bidding' etc and actually encouraging people to raise a far greater amount. From what I'm reading here it sounds as if it all went quiet for some strange reason.

SNAP!

Posted while I was typing mine.

But if they were trying to hide it, why have a £1000 marker on the auction board? It was there on the night. Alright they may not have been shouting about it all day but the bid was there in full view. I had no intention of bidding for it but I saw the "winning" bid.

They didn't publicise any of the auctions that well. I didn't know until the night there was a Lola Rose auction. Now that I might have bid for. To me there was less publicity for that than the crown. There may have been more but I didn't see it.

Latest posts

Back