Am I just old fashioned?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The woman who serves in our corner shop is always on the phone while shes ringing uyiour stuff in the till, then she just about manges to tell you the ammount and holds her hand out for the money, no please or thankyou

How rude!! I would tell her that obviously her phone call is more important than my shopping there and tell her I will return when she thinks customers are important

I had FB when it 1st started, it was fun and then as my kids got older and wanted accounts, I could monitor what was going on when I couldn't actually see them! But it never ceased to amaze me what some of their friends would put on FB, pics of them in compromising positions, drug taking paraphernalia in view or with not a lot of clothes on, totally unbelievable stuff that I was shocked at and would then tell their parents who I felt should be watching their kids, now I'm not saying my kids weren't doing these things (i am many things but i'm not naive)but if they were they made damn sure there were no photos for me to snoop and for future employers etc to browse through when they google their name .
Now they are older I unfriended them but I think I made my point enough times for it to get through about thinking before posting my son closed his account and my daughter keeps in touch with friends at uni but isn't glued to it, now my youngest has just turned 11 and begs for FB but I won't allow it( she did go to a party when she was 8 and the mum made all the girls sleeping over FB accounts!! I went mad, and it caused a lot of trouble in our house)it's full of inappropriate stuff but most of the kids in her year 6 class have it
Mobile phones have etiquette in our house too, no phones at the table, no answering the phone when I am talking to them and when they were younger they had to turn their phones in at bedtime! God I sound like a bit of a tyrant! Ha ha good!

I had FB when it 1st started, it was fun and then as my kids got older and wanted accounts, I could monitor what was going on when I couldn't actually see them! But it never ceased to amaze me what some of their friends would put on FB, pics of them in compromising positions, drug taking paraphernalia in view or with not a lot of clothes on, totally unbelievable stuff that I was shocked at and would then tell their parents who I felt should be watching their kids, now I'm not saying my kids weren't doing these things (i am many things but i'm not naive)but if they were they made damn sure there were no photos for me to snoop and for future employers etc to browse through when they google their name .
Now they are older I unfriended them but I think I made my point enough times for it to get through about thinking before posting my son closed his account and my daughter keeps in touch with friends at uni but isn't glued to it, now my youngest has just turned 11 and begs for FB but I won't allow it( she did go to a party when she was 8 and the mum made all the girls sleeping over FB accounts!! I went mad, and it caused a lot of trouble in our house)it's full of inappropriate stuff but most of the kids in her year 6 class have it
Mobile phones have etiquette in our house too, no phones at the table, no answering the phone when I am talking to them and when they were younger they had to turn their phones in at bedtime! God I sound like a bit of a tyrant! Ha ha good!

it should have caused a lot of trouble! you are supposed to be 16 to have a fb account - for obvious reasons. this goes back to the kids rule argument - NOTHING these days that is designed for adults doesn't get invaded by kids.

I know kids get everywhere they shouldn't!
I realise when I put drug paraphernalia I meant fag papers lighters etc not crack pipes and syringes! Although I think a pic of you smoking anything these days would put a prospective employer off employing you over another rightly or wrongly

Everything started to go pear-shaped once we allowed kids to call adults by their first name !

Pet-hate of mine is being introduced to toddlers as 'Linda' by their parents. Call me old fashioned, but I think thats where respect and disciplined is learned (and no, I dont agree with me "earning respect" certainly not from toddlers anyway) I'm old enough to be their great grandparent for gawds sake. Why I'm never introduced as 'Mrs' is too outdated, so it begs the question, "why the hell bother with getting married and assuming the title of Mrs if the world and his wife insist on calling you by your first name". I soon put cold callers on the telephone in their place I can tell you !!!........

Glad I got THAT off my chest !!!!!

Everything started to go pear-shaped once we allowed kids to call adults by their first name !

Pet-hate of mine is being introduced to toddlers as 'Linda' by their parents. Call me old fashioned, but I think thats where respect and disciplined is learned (and no, I dont agree with me "earning respect" certainly not from toddlers anyway) I'm old enough to be their great grandparent for gawds sake. Why I'm never introduced as 'Mrs' is too outdated, so it begs the question, "why the hell bother with getting married and assuming the title of Mrs if the world and his wife insist on calling you by your first name". I soon put cold callers on the telephone in their place I can tell you !!!........

Glad I got THAT off my chest !!!!!

i agree - i still call those same people (those who are still around and i see, friends' parents etc) 'mrs' and 'mr' now! even one who's asked me to call her by her first name i can't.

We are all different
I hate the formality of 'Mrs' or 'Aunty'
It was the convention when I was small to call close friends of the family 'uncle' or 'aunty'
I was thunderstruck when I realised - eventually - that these so called relatives were just random friends of my parents.
Agreed though, aunty Rosey was more friendly than Mrs Edwards.

My nieces & nephews, great-nieces and great-nephews all call me by my name.
Before I went into hospital recently, I was asked how I wanted to be addressed by the staff - by my christian/first name.
Everyone I deal with on a regular basis - dentist, hairdresser, hygienist, neighbours, lady in the PO, my postman Neil - know me by my name not my title.

Anyway, I'm Mrs Jones and that's not my surname either but one which convention deemed I should adopt!

Last edited:
i agree - i still call those same people (those who are still around and i see, friends' parents etc) 'mrs' and 'mr' now! even one who's asked me to call her by her first name i can't.

I do too Janie, I am still in touch with a teacher from senior school who is almost 90, and she is always saying ' do call me Mary', but I CANT ! I still call her Mrs Watkins. Now that is what I CALL respect !!

In order to be eligible to sign up for Facebook, people must be thirteen (13) years of age or older. (taken from Facebook)
Not that I disagree with your point Janie :)

that is really weird loujareth because i only looked it up a few weeks ago when a friend was complaining about one of her friends who'd put her very young daughter on there. hmmmmm

In order to be eligible to sign up for Facebook, people must be thirteen (13) years of age or older. (taken from Facebook)
Not that I disagree with your point Janie :)

To get around this, I think the kids just leave out the year of their birth. That's what my nieces/friends kids do anyway.

I love being called auntie and would be very annoyed if my nieces wanted to call me by my first name.

I always called my parents friends aunty and uncle and for some reason there is one couple who I STILL call aunty and uncle even though I'm in my mid 40's!

My friends' children used to call me aunty and hubbie uncle, but they have grown out of that now which is absolutely fine.

To get around this, I think the kids just leave out the year of their birth. That's what my nieces/friends kids do anyway.

not much point having an age limit on there then is there? the parents would never use the dreaded word 'no' so if facebook don't tighten up, they might as welll enrol them and expose them to all the four letter words and vulgar pics from birth.

I love being called auntie and would be very annoyed if my nieces wanted to call me by my first name.

I always called my parents friends aunty and uncle and for some reason there is one couple who I STILL call aunty and uncle even though I'm in my mid 40's!

My friends' children used to call me aunty and hubbie uncle, but they have grown out of that now which is absolutely fine.

I only have the one sibling, a brother, he has two boys and they have never encouraged them to call me Aunty, I am unbelievably hurt by that.

I only have the one sibling, a brother, he has two boys and they have never encouraged them to call me Aunty, I am unbelievably hurt by that.

That is such a shame. Just say to them " look, I am your Aunty, and I would love it if you would call me that , as I don't have any other nieces or nephews, only you " see what reaction you get then ! I got around that one with my nephews by saying "oi, its AUNTY Linda to you " !

A lot of relatives don't like being referred to or called 'aunty, uncle - even some grandmothers are against it, but its only manners to find out first, before assuming to call them by their first name.

thank goodness someone agrees with me about mobiles - when someone answers one whilst talking to me I leave their company as they have just said "this person is more important than you" - personally unless you are a brain surgeon on call I think you can give it a rest - convinced people will soon evolve with mobiles as part of their ear.
I am not against tech - far from it - but they are tools - not a bodypart.

I agree with you wholeheartedly! On a slightly different note; I was driving home the other night (it was dark) and there was a guy on a bike with no lights (or even reflectors) talking on his mobile phone. If it hadn't been for my husband I don't think that I would even have seen him. Really irresponsible, I honestly felt like pulling over and giving him a mouthful.

I confess that I do own a mobile phone. For the life of me I could not tell you where it is, it certainly is not fully charged and perhaps has only a few pence left on it should I wish to make a call. I enjoy not being at the beck and call of anyone. I like my freedom to roam uninterrupted by the sound of a phone. Recently had to purchase new phone at home which looks like a mobile to my mind and even after several weeks I cannot get to grips on how to work it. Not having a mobile phone has cost me money is so far as I work as Bank Staff for several firms, if they cannot reach me I'm unable to work for them, unless notice is given, message left on answer phone on home line. If I were truly bothered I'd find out my mobile and keep it switched on at all times.

As for FB and Twitter, no idea about these, not interested in finding out about them either. Sounds like it's another form of 'invasion of privacy'. Do I really want to write dribble like ' got up, had a wash, went to work, did the shopping, did the washing and then the ironing etc.' I don't think so.

It amazes me the number of young parents I see out with their children, talking on their mobiles and paying no attention to their children. No conversation, no bonding skills being used, how isolated those children must feel.

I understand mobiles have an important part to play in our hectic lives but they do not have to take over our lives.

I'll just get my coat......:mysmilie_365:

Latest posts

Back