Am I just old fashioned?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I am on both FB and twitter, I would have missed out on at least two of the most amazing concerts I've ever seen last year without them, but I limit my contacts to the musicians, venues and such that really interest me and I barely, if ever, post or tweet myself, I don't think my life is that interesting, went to work (which I can't discuss), had supper, cuddled the cat etc etc which is the sum total of most of my days! As far as my phone goes, I have a work and a personal mobile, the work one lives in my work bag (switched off most of the time) and stays there, my personal one lives in my handbag or pocket, but rarely comes out unless there is a family emergency! The number of people I have stared down on buses/trains when their one sided conversation is impinging on my quiet contemplation, reading, and/or listening as quietly as possible to my own choice of music! GRRR

one of my friends came off fb because he was so fed up with seeing the language his grandson used. i tried to talk him out of it because said grandson and his mum, my friend's daughter are in new zealand but it upset him so much he left fb.

one of my cousins is the same. Either F'ing this or F'ing that. There's no need for it!
When she comes for Christmas dinner she's glued to her iPhone. For the love of god, get a grip! It won't kill you not to use it for a day!

too many striking chords here for me to multi-quote but generally, it does perhaps seem to be an age-related thing (sorry if I'm putting years on some of you!) - I think some of the real young ones don't even realise they are being ignorant (in a lot of cases they wouldn't know the meaning of the word and most wouldn't care if they did). But so many of them spend their time with a phone glued to their ear, or texting, or checking their emails on their iphone, that I think the human race is in danger in years to come of not actually knowing how to SPEAK to other people - maybe we'll be sitting on sofas opposite each other and texting? Well not me I'll be long gone..!

Oh dear, I am bad then! I love my iPhone and am probably surgically attached to it. I love Facebook (well, most of the time) but don't have hundreds of friends on it. Keeps me in touch with friends overseas. I don't really get Twitter though. I can string a sentence together and orally communicate with others though ;-P

I think QVC and this twitting lark is an attempt to get younger viewers, but they just end up looking like a grandad dancing at a wedding.

I too get tiddled off with a particular friend of mine who has been a mobile user for years - but thinks nothing of answering it when she's visiting my house, it really annoys me. If I continued to watch TV when she comes around, I wonder what she'd think?
Last night for example, we went to a concert. I never considered taking my mobile with me - it was out of juice. But there she was checking her sodding phone at every interval and at the end of the concert.

I have also lost count of the number of times I used to hear the phone beep if I was calling her on a landline (the old call waiting thing). THEN her bliddy mobile would ring as whoever it was figured that if she was on the landline she could also answer a mobile (er der??). But what THEN gets my goat even more is she will actually answer the thing and not ignore it. Makes me very very cross....I think it's rude. It's putting the other person before you and makes me feel like a spare part. I wonder why the people that do this sort of thing can't see this - is it because they think it's making THEM look important, that they have all these others contacting them?

This friend is 3 years older than me, so I don't think it's an "old fashioned" thing. I just think it's all down to manners.

Last edited:
My boss (and I use the term loosely :wonder:) has a habit of starting to tell me what they want done/the way they want it done and then answering their phone (private, not work) :phone: and leaving my desk to have a long conversation about "whatever". Drives me mad.
Suffice to say I am not at my desk when they deign to return. I'll invariably have found something else that needs doing elsewhere.
Then ,two weeks later it'll be "did you do "such and such" 'cos "so and so" needs it.
:sweat:
"Oh, says I, that'll be what you started to show me, before you buggered of to chat with someone more important .. no, never did finish it.......wasn't sure what you wanted...

Last edited:
My boss (and I use the term loosely :wonder:) has a habit of starting to tell me what they want done/the way they want it done and then answering their phone (private, not work) :phone: and leaving my desk to have a long conversation about "whatever". Drives me mad.
Suffice to say I am not at my desk when they deign to return. I'll invariably have found something else that needs doing elsewhere.
Then ,two weeks later it'll be "did you do "such and such" 'cos "so and so" needs it.
:sweat:
"Oh, says I, that'll be what you started to show me, before you buggered of to chat with someone more important .. no, never did finish it.......wasn't sure what you wanted...

ooo that maddens me too, and people tapping on their Blackberry in meetings, you can also tell when someone is replying to you from their Blackberry as they send you random badly spelt replies, it's looks really unprofessional!

Oh dear, I am bad then! I love my iPhone and am probably surgically attached to it. I love Facebook (well, most of the time) but don't have hundreds of friends on it. Keeps me in touch with friends overseas. I don't really get Twitter though. I can string a sentence together and orally communicate with others though ;-P
I am on Facebook and Twitter so I must be very bad too. I don't post much on either because as someone else said a lot of my life is pretty normal and why would anyone be interested? I do enjoy reading posts although I don't see the point of the updates like "am going to bed" etc. I am in a group on Facebook and to be honest it's pretty much like here with discussions on a shared interest.

I do think it's a shame that some people use these and in the process miss out on "now". Why miss out on enjoying Christmas dinner because you are to busy on Twitter or Facebook? Go on Facebook or Twitter after and post if you want to. Going off track why do people go to a concert and spend the whole time watching through the screen of their mobile as they try to video it? just enjoy it in real life!

It's not the technology itself, that's brilliant - it's just a shame that so many people who appear to have no consideration or control have become addicted to it.

Going off track why do people go to a concert and spend the whole time watching through the screen of their mobile as they try to video it? just enjoy it in real life!
I'm sure that's not allowed (copyright, disturbing others etc). People were doing that when I was performing in a show, so rude and annoying. Grrr. The thing is we had a professional recording company doing the same thing!

I love technology, have a smart phone, kindle, lap top, mp3 player. Only do Facebook to keep up with news of son and nieces plus a few friends who post interesting stuff. However I can't stand pig ignorant people like the woman behind me on the bus the other day who kept up a foul mouthed rant on her mobile for the whole journey. Some of the rant was about what an F*)""*ing C*** had posted on Facebook so it would seem that technology despite all its marvels can often just be a way for nasty folk to carry on being nasty but at a distance.

is it a generation thing?

No.

As a 20 year old guy who has an iPhone, its always on mute. If they wanted me badly enough, they'd leave a voicemail.

I hate phone calls in general. Much prefer text or email as there's a record of it. No use trying to 'review' a phonecall if you've forgotten a certain detail.

It also bugs me when people say 'I hate Facebook'. Facebook is just a communication tool. Saying that is like saying 'I hate communicating' or 'I hate my friends' in my opinion. Annoying parts of Facebook, such as the games, can be blocked, simple.

On the issue of people swearing loudly/being rude using a mobile, that's down to the person and not the technology. I'd imagine if these people weren't swearing down a phone, they'd be just as happy to do it with their mate sitting next to them.

Last edited:
I'm sure that's not allowed (copyright, disturbing others etc). People were doing that when I was performing in a show, so rude and annoying. Grrr. The thing is we had a professional recording company doing the same thing!

i assume it must be because it happens at every concert i go to. yet another mobile related pet hate. if you're already 50 rows back, you're not only looking over everyone in front at the stage but you're continually distracted by hundreds of very bright mobile screens held aloft by hundreds of arms. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

someone mentioned trains - if you drive everywhere usually, a train journey is quite nice. not anymore.
continuous jangling 'ring' tones and shouting - why people have to up the volume and yell is beyond me. is it because they're so tiny, the microphone is round their ear not their gob?

It also bugs me when people say 'I hate Facebook'. Facebook is just a communication tool. Saying that is like saying 'I hate communicating' or 'I hate my friends' in my opinion.
Prepare to be bugged then because I hate Facebook!! The reason?? I joined a few years ago after I was urged to by a friend, just to view some former work colleagues photos, and that was all I did. I wasn't interested in either reading or posting trivia and logged out but for some inexplicable reason my account was hacked and 'I' began posting rubbish messages, much to the consternation of friends who knew me. I tried to close/delete my account but it's impossible to extricate yourself from the ****** site and it monitors your internet use which I find creepy, offensive and obtrusive and far too much Big Brother for my liking. :angry: FYI I can communicate with my friends the best way of all...by actually talking to them. :cool2:

Paul McCartney hit the nail on the head, when he said since the advent of 'camera phones' he is always being asked by someone to look into the lense of one. At any gathering, be it football, concert, riot, or meeting - and what do you see ? A million arms held high with a ****** phone taking pictures ; never ceases to amaze me.

As for manners - well, in the past 30 years 'please and thank you' have gone down the drain with the bath water.

I like most of the posters on here don't give flying fig about other people's mobile telephone conversations I'm not remotely interested or curious about what they've been doing, where they're going or what the hell they're having for for their so**ing tea, I think it's the height of rudeness and that they live in their own dis-iullsioned world believing that anyone could be interested in their inane lives! They're oblivious to the intrusion to other people and think that they are so important that they can't possibly be out of contact for more than five minutes at a time anyone would think they were they're brain surgeons or something? I actually value not always being contactable ,I decide if I want to be available or not it's actually very liberating but perhaps that comes with age ! To me it smacks of someone who thinks they are of full of their own p*ss and importance, for God sake get a life !!!

I just saw Glenn on QVC and Flinty asked if he was on Twitter and fair play he said he couldn't use it as he was dyslexic, he seemed a bit embarrassed as did Flinty who just said 'bless'

I wish they'd pack in Twittering now it really isn't a very sociable network!

Latest posts

Back