Twitter Apology Issued

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I am English (with some Irish thrown in), I live in England (at the mo, I have lived in Scotland), but I don't support the England football team as I don't like football; so what does that make me?? My husband is Scottish and does support the England team (unless playing Scotland); does that make him better than me?

To be honest I don't get it. It's only a game............................

I love the word "cumudgeon" Nicky...and I shall use it several times today whether in context or not!

Jude xx

I was born in England but always say I am British.I worked in Scotland many years ago, I just see us as all the same although when I first went there I was asked if I was English!
As for football, my house is a football free zone.The little I saw of Englands 'play' on the news was even too much.I use more energy when I go to the gym!

I was born in England but always say I am British.I worked in Scotland many years ago, I just see us as all the same although when I first went there I was asked if I was English!
As for football, my house is a football free zone.The little I saw of Englands 'play' on the news was even too much.I use more energy when I go to the gym!
If someone from outside the UK asks, I always say I am British. Americans, who get very confused between the difference in being English and British (in that they think there isn't any), will then usually ask where I am from. At which point I say 'Derbyshire', which is true. But strangely, unlike being a Geordie, or from Yorkshire, it doesn't seem to count as an official 'nationality'! And then I try to explain where that is, and usually end up, exasperated, and telling them it is near 'Sherwood Forest', which annoys me immensely, since that's really in Notts. And no-one from Derbyshire likes to merge those lines ;-)
It seems to me that we all have our own idea about our own identity, and that's great. But it certainly seems to matter more to other people than it does to ourselves …

Although I was born here I consider my self Irish, because thats where all my family are from, also I lived and was brought up in Irish communities and lived in pubs that of course were predominately Irish but although Irish, My heart and soul lies in Italy always has and always will, I think of myself as european so after Eire, Italia I'll support England sorry but thats just me, My friends all knew this and not one was bothered (they are great friends though !!!).

I don't think Julia is racist. Her comment was ill- judged, ignorant, possibly alcohol-induced and mildly xenophobic, but not at all racist.

I agree with Capirossi that the thread has got silly now, boring even. I was just stating my opinion, now I have done that I will carry on working and comment on other threads I think. Oh, and hoping that Italy beat Germany of course!

ooooh the DRAMA! (to the original post) :giggle: I don't understand all this Twitter malarky - beyond me.

Last edited:
So the racist card has appeared. Or perhaps I may have mis interpreted your posts Boris Bear and Weathergirl?. We can add that to being dim and unprofessional for passing comment about the footie in the heat of the moment.

I think we have forgotten how to be patriotic in this county.

My example was posted to support my view that she posted a very ill-judged remark, I didn't say that she was racist. I think she Tweeted without engaging her brain and her actions were foolish. If she had thought it through a bit more maybe she wouldn't have tweeted that remark.

She can be patriotic without making that type of comment.

I don't think Julia is racist. Her comment was ill- judged, ignorant, possibly alcohol-induced and mildly xenophobic, but not at all racist.

I agree with Capirossi that the thread has got silly now, boring even. I was just stating my opinion, now I have done that I will carry on working and comment on other threads I think. Oh, and hoping that Italy beat Germany of course!

Dnt say that, Ive got Germany in the office sweep

I don't think its a particularly nice thing to say (write) to someone.....worse still if its someone you know!

I may not agree with the Politically Correct world we have to live in these days...but theres things you just can't say or worse still write down these days...and worse even more,if you're in the public eye.

I don't know whether this is the "true" Julia...or shes just made a social/drunk/wrongly humoured faux-pas....but IMHO,it doesn't read too well.

This thread just underlines why I don't bother with Twitter, have never tweeted and don't intend to. And I'm not on Facebook either.

Maybe I'm odd, but I'd rather talk to someone face to face if I have an issue with them, rather than type a comment to them, because so much can be misconstrued or come across as 'less than polite' when online. At least an apology can be made instantly if a faux pas has been made or someone has been offended when you're actually talking to the person, rather than having to wait for the other individual to read your comments/tweets and then fume quietly to themselves before posting a reply.

Oh ...... and I don't follow football either :wink:

Dnt say that, Ive got Germany in the office sweep
Good call! Realistically a better draw than many other teams in the competition!

Oh I think it's fascinating, though well off-topic. I like the point about Derbyshire made by Nicky-J; coming from a Lancashire/Yorkshire background with very strong county identity (stereotype some might say), lived in Liverpool for a while and married a Manc, it was strange to relocate to Sussex and found it difficult to pinpoint the essence of "Sussex-ness", partly watered down I suppose by residents moving here from other counties. In similar conversation with Americans or other nationalities I've found it easier to say I live near Brighton which they may have vaguely heard of.

Jude xx

The very lovely Neil Oliver (Coast) tweeted his best wishes to 'the neighbours' in advance of the England match.

Good call! Realistically a better draw than many other teams in the competition!

Oh I think it's fascinating, though well off-topic. I like the point about Derbyshire made by Nicky-J; coming from a Lancashire/Yorkshire background with very strong county identity (stereotype some might say), lived in Liverpool for a while and married a Manc, it was strange to relocate to Sussex and found it difficult to pinpoint the essence of "Sussex-ness", partly watered down I suppose by residents moving here from other counties. In similar conversation with Americans or other nationalities I've found it easier to say I live near Brighton which they may have vaguely heard of.

Jude xx

Fascinating, yes it was, speaking as a born southern lancastrian now living in the south, married to a non brit, used to suffering the bear with a sore head when it comes to sport. It just started to bore me when it descended into the " feck off... no you feck off.... no you, you you..." and the usual derision at someone's opinion that doesn't match ones own. So got bored with an otherwise interesting topic.

This thread just underlines why I don't bother with Twitter, have never tweeted and don't intend to. And I'm not on Facebook either.

Maybe I'm odd, but I'd rather talk to someone face to face if I have an issue with them, rather than type a comment to them, because so much can be misconstrued or come across as 'less than polite' when online. At least an apology can be made instantly if a faux pas has been made or someone has been offended when you're actually talking to the person, rather than having to wait for the other individual to read your comments/tweets and then fume quietly to themselves before posting a reply.

Oh ...... and I don't follow football either :wink:

I am with you all the way (except the bit about folloiwng football), I am a massive footie fan. I would not touch facebook with a bargepole, likewise twitter. Its true that a seemingly innocent remark can be taken up the wrong way, even if it was not intended. I still maintain that Jools should not have mentioned him living in England, allthough that could have been a joke too - who knows? She should have held fire until tomorrow night when Germany will probably batter Italy, then gloated!! he he

I don't care about football and don't understand the passion and loyalty the game inspires. But in terms of nationality I always say I'm British. Unless the conversation is with another Brit and then I am Cornish. I don't live in Cornwall right now but it is in my blood and even though I've lived in Surrey for 20 years it's "where I live", Cornwall is "where I'm from" and is "my home".

:wink::grin:
It puts me in mind of the comment Julia made to Carol Vordermann at the Breast Cancer Care fashion show a couple of years ago. It wasn't the comment per se but the fact she couldn't stop herslf saying it (CV alluded to never having been on a shopping channel but JR pointed out she'd demonstrated a calculator years ago). It came across as petty in such a powerfully positive setting and I tend to think this Twitter comment, had it been said face to face between friends (not on a very public forum), I suspect both parties would have had a bit of banter and forgotten it almost instantly. Once something is written down or bradcast it's open to analysis to the Nth degree.

We're a footy family, hailing from Blackpool and Manchester we support Blackpool and City. When we moved Dahn Sahf we didn't suddenly become Arsenal, Chelsea, Brighton or Man U fans. The boys also support a range of European clubs (loosely associated with cities we've visited...eg MrA and I had a mucky weekend in Barcelona years ago). If one of their European teams, say Inter Milan play a UK club, say Chelsea they'd be shouting for Inter...it's not a treasonable offence.

'Wonder whether Julia is cheering on Murray* at Wimbledon when she's here or Nadal when she's at her Spanish holiday home?

Jude xx

* suddenly British in the absence of an English competitor

Naughty, Akimbo, subtle though..... like it....... :wink::grin:

Interest re-ignited!
You know, I have no idea whether I am a Brit or an English person.

Andy Murray v Tim Henman in a wimbledon final, unlikely I know but both of them bore me, so who would I cheer? Probably Boris Becker back in 1985.

Endland v Scotland at Rugby- definitely England

England v Germany at footie- definitely England

Scotland v Argentina at rugby- definitely Scotland

Scotland v Germany at football- definitely Scotland

Scotland v the All Blacks at Rugby- definitely the All Blacks

Scotland v Australia - secretly Australia but begrugdingly and publically, Scotland.

Why? Because I have the capacity to support Scotland sometimes, depending on the circumstances. I wish that the Scots could return the favour sometimes but the memory of being in a Scottish pub once with my Scottish ex boyfriend, enduring the whole bar cheering on Argentina against England has scarred me for life!

We all make some silly remarks sometimes in our lives, so can't we take it as that? She should not have said what she did about him living in UK etc, but it has been said, she realised she should not have said and apologised...end of story!
Regarding supporting football teams, shouldn't we have the freedom to cheer for any team we like? On world games, I sometimes cheer on some poor country that has actually made it into playing at all, I do so because they are not pampered like our players, nor have the means of having proper training, not even some decent gear and they play so hard, glad to have a chance to play in a game they love so much.

Latest posts

Back