Twitter Apology Issued

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Are we not entitled to have opinions now. If that's what JR thought at the time she posted on Twitter then so be it. She obviously feels strongly about the footie. IMO what happens on Twitter should stay on Twitter.

Exactly!!

Correct!! Complete friggin' pathetic utter PC fooking bollocks!! I wish the PCers would fcuk off!

Exactly!!!! And now this whole thread has turned into a big fuss about nothing!! Personally, if Julia was having a dig at Debbie I think it's cool! :p More people need to speak their minds rather than pussyfooting around all the time. If Julia was doing this, it wasn't done in a nasty way. If she wasn't, I agree with the OP that her passion for the game took over. If you have something to say, say it! Just try not to be hurtful. That's my opinion anyway, and if you don't like it....see my signature, haha!! :p

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Debbie said her husband was happy with football result as he supports Italy and Julia sent tweet saying

"He should be ashamed of himself - if he doesn't like England why live here?"

To which Debbie replied that Paul is half Italian and half Scottish hence why he supports Italy!

Isn't Julia's comment rather similar to Alf Garnett's comment about cricket? Apologies to any youngsters on here who probably have no idea who he is!

Julia comes accross as one of these dreadful football bores to me,never missing an opportunity to bang on about her team,how many matches she watches,who she was with,how many points they have etc etc.
Her comments to DG were probably said in the heat of the moment but was just rude and petulant imho.

No doubt already forgotten by Julia.

Whilst people think this is a storm in a tea cup I think there would be a hell of a lot more fuss if this remark had related to cricket and had been made to someone of Indian or Pakistani origin.

BTW if Julia retired to her Spanish holiday home would she stop supporting England and Crystal Palace to support Spain and Barcelona instead?

Whilst people think this is a storm in a tea cup I think there would be a hell of a lot more fuss if this remark had related to cricket and had been made to someone of Indian or Pakistani origin.

BTW if Julia retired to her Spanish holiday home would she stop supporting England and Crystal Palace to support Spain and Barcelona instead?

That's what I wanted to say but couldn't be bothererd with any of the "banter" afterwards. I agree with you Boris Bear. As I said before, a silly thing to say, which I think reveals a lot about Julia's attitudes and views that maybe she would have preferred to remain hidden.
The post about thinking she had more intelligence is also true. So did I.

I really like Julia but this is a new side to her, which I hope she puts right. I don't think it is right to say this is a storm in a tea cup, minimise it or tell people to f*ck off, when they are entitled to their opinion with everyone else.

So the racist card has appeared. Or perhaps I may have mis interpreted your posts Boris Bear and Weathergirl?. We can add that to being dim and unprofessional for passing comment about the footie in the heat of the moment.

I think we have forgotten how to be patriotic in this county.

It wasn't though. It wasn't anything to do with race or racism. It was a stupid exchange on twitter about football. Football! Two teams kicking a ball about.

Hopefully both Debbie and Julia will have learnt from this that twitter is not the place to open your gob before engaging your brain.

This should be a storm in a teacup because it's happened and Julia has apologised the the two (or three) parties involved have let it lie.

I work with people from India and Pakistan and when they play England in the cricket they support the India or Pakistan team even though they were born here. That's fine with me.

If David Beckham lives in the USA when he's retired from football and the US play England in the world cup who's he going to support? The UK of course.

It wasn't though. It wasn't anything to do with race or racism. It was a stupid exchange on twitter about football. Football! Two teams kicking a ball about.

Hopefully both Debbie and Julia will have learnt from this that twitter is not the place to open your gob before engaging your brain.

This should be a storm in a teacup because it's happened and Julia has apologised the the two (or three) parties involved have let it lie.

I completely agree, well said.

Nothing wrong with being patriotic. It's the "don't live here unless you support England" bit that I question.

The problem with Twitter, and for that matter any form of non-verbal communication, is that it is nigh on impossible (or at least very difficult) to give any sense of tone. What could well have been intended as a light-hearted comment can be read by someone else as quite the opposite. It's especially difficult when you are limited to a very short 'burst' as you are on Twitter. No-one died. Apologies have been made and none of us have any idea either how the comment was intended, or how it was received, so we should probably let it go now.

It puts me in mind of the comment Julia made to Carol Vordermann at the Breast Cancer Care fashion show a couple of years ago. It wasn't the comment per se but the fact she couldn't stop herslf saying it (CV alluded to never having been on a shopping channel but JR pointed out she'd demonstrated a calculator years ago). It came across as petty in such a powerfully positive setting and I tend to think this Twitter comment, had it been said face to face between friends (not on a very public forum), I suspect both parties would have had a bit of banter and forgotten it almost instantly. Once something is written down or bradcast it's open to analysis to the Nth degree.

We're a footy family, hailing from Blackpool and Manchester we support Blackpool and City. When we moved Dahn Sahf we didn't suddenly become Arsenal, Chelsea, Brighton or Man U fans. The boys also support a range of European clubs (loosely associated with cities we've visited...eg MrA and I had a mucky weekend in Barcelona years ago). If one of their European teams, say Inter Milan play a UK club, say Chelsea they'd be shouting for Inter...it's not a treasonable offence.

'Wonder whether Julia is cheering on Murray* at Wimbledon when she's here or Nadal when she's at her Spanish holiday home?

Jude xx

* suddenly British in the absence of an English competitor

Last edited:
'Wonder whether Julia is cheering on Murray*
* suddenly British in the absence of an English competitor
Well, I'm not that convinced that the English (of which I am technically one, albeit with a strong streak of Scots and a tad of Irish), in general, really think that the Scots are only British when there is no-one English to support. With regards to Murray, when there was an Englishman out there who could compete (Tim Henman) Murray was not anywhere near as good or successful as he is today. But all this is irrelevant, because when it comes down to it, writing as a tennis fan, I think people don't warm to Murray as much as they did to Henman (and let's be honest the Canadian-born Rusedski), even though he is undoubtedly capable of being far more successful than either any current English-born player, for two reasons. One, he made some, albeit banterish, anti-English comments a few years ago. I don't have any problem with that at all, he feels the way he feels, it's no big deal. But secondly, and more importantly, he comes over as such a cumudgeon most of the time that he doesn't really have any 'appeal'. Not that it's his job to do anything other than play tennis, and certainly not to cultivate a 'personna', but it does make him difficult to love, whoever you are.

Latest posts

Back