Alison Young

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The main study into the effectiveness of semaglutide (Ozempic) was 72 weeks duration. In practice, most pts plateau after about 60 weeks. It's licensed for use for a maximum of 2 years, after which about 98% of patients regain at least two-thirds of the weight they have lost within a year (see link below if you're interested). Even worse, all the cardiometabolic benefits which accompany the weight loss - lower BP, better glucose control and insulin secretion/response, lower LDL cholesterol etc - are entirely reversed once stopping semaglutide. In practice, the overwhelming majority of patients regain all the weight that they had lost, for entirely predictable reasons.

I'd said in a previous post that the acid test as to whether or not she's taking a drug like ozempic (not that it's anyone's business but hers) is if she manages to keep the weight off for about 18-24 months. She's a classic yo-yo dieter, and in previous cycles, she's lost and regained a couple of stone in a 6-9 month period (again, a very classic pattern). If she suddenly loses a lot of weight and manages to keep it off, then you can be pretty sure that something has changed this time...

You may not know the answer, but why can't diabetics stay on the drug for life?

The main study into the effectiveness of semaglutide (Ozempic) was 72 weeks duration. In practice, most pts plateau after about 60 weeks. It's licensed for use for a maximum of 2 years, after which about 98% of patients regain at least two-thirds of the weight they have lost within a year (see link below if you're interested). Even worse, all the cardiometabolic benefits which accompany the weight loss - lower BP, better glucose control and insulin secretion/response, lower LDL cholesterol etc - are entirely reversed once stopping semaglutide. In practice, the overwhelming majority of patients regain all the weight that they had lost, for entirely predictable reasons.

I'd said in a previous post that the acid test as to whether or not she's taking a drug like ozempic (not that it's anyone's business but hers) is if she manages to keep the weight off for about 18-24 months. She's a classic yo-yo dieter, and in previous cycles, she's lost and regained a couple of stone in a 6-9 month period (again, a very classic pattern). If she suddenly loses a lot of weight and manages to keep it off, then you can be pretty sure that something has changed this time...

It seems that diabetics can stay on semaglutide indefinitely as long as the drug doesn't interfere negatively with their kidneys. So, if she's diabetic and continues to take the shot every week, her previous weight will not return.

That's right Griz. If you are a genuine diabetic (and CH may well be) then you can take semaglutide for as long as it is prescribed for you. Doctors keep a very close eye on you if you take these drugs to make sure they are doing good and not harm. Mr CC lost all that weight and kept it off as he continued to take the drug. Now he can't get it and he was on insulin (although his diabetes is type 2) but I believe he's now on semaglutide or similar in a tablet form. I think that might be a new drug. Don't shout that out too loudly!

CC

That's right Griz. If you are a genuine diabetic (and CH may well be) then you can take semaglutide for as long as it is prescribed for you. Doctors keep a very close eye on you if you take these drugs to make sure they are doing good and not harm. Mr CC lost all that weight and kept it off as he continued to take the drug. Now he can't get it and he was on insulin (although his diabetes is type 2) but I believe he's now on semaglutide or similar in a tablet form. I think that might be a new drug. Don't shout that out too loudly!

CC
Yes, CH and AY may be diabetics and they'll take the shots weekly for as long as their doctors can see no harm is being done to their organs. They both look good at the moment, and imo don't need to lose any more pounds. But, there again, their weight loss might be through sheer will power.

Doctors do not just hand out it just because you are suddenly found to have Type 2 diabetes. You will be told to diet Type 2 can be diet controlled, and they try this before moving to tablets.

CHuntly's daughter is getting married, she will want to be thin for the photos as mother of the bride.

AY has had an underactive thyroid for years perhaps 10 or more and when she started putting on weight people on here said that was the reason. It if very difficult to lose weight when you have an underactive thyroid. If the doctor keeps on top of it and gets the meds correct you can lose weight but not as much as AY without help for other sources so quickly.

If it is sheer will power the weight loss would have taken a lot longer than a few months. I had a serious illness and lost 2 stone, but not that quickly! Anyway, as long as people who take weight loss drugs understand the risks then it's up to them.

CC

Way back I was told to lose weight and I lost 5 st! Yes, I walked every morning, did Zumba twice a week in a local church hall. I love to dance, but always hated normal keep fit. I was told the slower it comes off the longer it will take to go back on, so it was like 2 lb a month I lost.

Doctors do not just hand out it just because you are suddenly found to have Type 2 diabetes. You will be told to diet Type 2 can be diet controlled, and they try this before moving to tablets.

CHuntly's daughter is getting married, she will want to be thin for the photos as mother of the bride.

AY has had an underactive thyroid for years perhaps 10 or more and when she started putting on weight people on here said that was the reason. It if very difficult to lose weight when you have an underactive thyroid. If the doctor keeps on top of it and gets the meds correct you can lose weight but not as much as AY without help for other sources so quickly.
I’ve had an underactive thyroid since 2015 and it is difficult to lose weight because of the effect hypothyroidism has on the metabolic rate, despite being on the correct dosage.

However, since February this year I’ve lost over 3 stone and it’s still coming off slowly. I haven’t used, and never would, any weight loss medication or interventions because the weight would probably go back on when the weight loss medication was stopped. I’ve done it by changing to a healthy diet and ditching the biscuits, chocolate, crisps and rubbish that I used to snack on. I don’t feel hungry but do feel a lot healthier which is a bonus and I know that the weight will stay off because it’s been done slowly and healthily. The only drawback is that I’ve had to buy loads of new clothes because the others were hanging off me as they were four sizes too big but it’s been worth it and the Air Ambulance charity has benefited from my “updating” my wardrobe.

It’s also more difficult to lose weight the older you are so, coupled with an underactive thyroid, the odds were against me but, to be honest, I’m surprised (and delighted) that I’ve managed to do it.

I’ve had an underactive thyroid since 2015 and it is difficult to lose weight because of the effect hypothyroidism has on the metabolic rate, despite being on the correct dosage.

However, since February this year I’ve lost over 3 stone and it’s still coming off slowly. I haven’t used, and never would, any weight loss medication or interventions because the weight would probably go back on when the weight loss medication was stopped. I’ve done it by changing to a healthy diet and ditching the biscuits, chocolate, crisps and rubbish that I used to snack on. I don’t feel hungry but do feel a lot healthier which is a bonus and I know that the weight will stay off because it’s been done slowly and healthily. The only drawback is that I’ve had to buy loads of new clothes because the others were hanging off me as they were four sizes too big but it’s been worth it and the Air Ambulance charity has benefited from my “updating” my wardrobe.

It’s also more difficult to lose weight the older you are so, coupled with an underactive thyroid, the odds were against me but, to be honest, I’m surprised (and delighted) that I’ve managed to do it.
Well done.

Well done, Toril. You've done brilliantly, as it can't be easy to lose that much. (y)

Latest posts

Back