Tova fragrances

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Has anyone else tried any of Tova's fragrances? I've tried a few and I thought they were absolutely awful! The original Signature reminded me of fly killer, Tova nights was like a watered down version of the original, mind body and spririt was nicer, and a much younger fragrance....BUT still wasn't so lovely that if you sprayed it on in a shop you'd immediately dash up to the till with it.

Some of the reviews for the Signature platimum/ambre d'oro combo on QVC's website made me chuckle, a couple of people mentioned that their husband's even commented on the foul smell, and men famously don't notice women's perfumes, one nicked named it "Eau de care home", fly killer, airfreshener were also mentioned quite a lot. One reviewer said that a friend commented on the horrible smell in her house and suggested that she change her air freshener...she sheepishly admitted it was her perfume! This actually happened to me at work once, I'd sprayed on the "Signature" in the hope that the fly killerish stench would settle into a subtle sexy warm aroma, unfortunately someone commented "There's a disgusting smell around here, I think it's one of the customer's perfume"...I scrubbed it off pretty smartish I can tell you!

I really do wish that QVC could send out fragranced papers, or sell really small try me sizes cause these perfumes aren't bliddy cheap, and it's often a lot of hassle and expense to send things back. Watching the show today, they made the fragrances sound so damn gorgeous, I was almost tempted myself....um..joking! Seriously though, there's going to be lots of people who are gonna be suckered in!

I think I may be in a minority of one here, but there are two tova perfumes that I really like - Nirvana and Signature Autumn. Get them both on the bay - around £10 a go, last all day, can't ask for more! Have ordered, and sent back the normal QVC ones - don't do anything for me, but there are some nice ones, honestly!

Sorry, slightly off topic but still Tova. I can't help smiling when she's on! She is such old school Hollywood glamour. She reminds me of a character out of a Jackie Collins book or Dynasty (disclaimer, haven't chanced upon either for decades!!). It isn't hard to imagine her made up to the hilt, bedecked in her designer loungewear, swanning through her white mansion leaving a trail of "eau de care home" in her wake, calling everyone 'dahlin' and her staff cowering at her feet!! :mysmilie_846: lol I love it!! :giggle:

I agree, awful smells and they're hard to get rid of once your put them on. You just have to stink all day! They actually cause me migraines. It's also so dull to watch on air. About as exciting as watching the grass grow. What happened to her cosmetics?

In the early days of my shopping with QVC, I was suckered into buying a Tova TSV that was a box with three big fancy flacons of her different perfumes.
Was so thrilled when they arrived. Lovely cut glass bottles, couldn't wait to stun everyone with this alluring, seductive scent.
Ugh!! Never smelt anything like them, at least nothing supposed to be a perfume though some of the things on the supermarket cleaning aisle come close.
Eau de Flykiller was my first reaction, it was all downhill from there.

Cost an absolute fortune in return postage but I couldn't get them out of the house fast enough.

It beats me that the models & presenters don't gag when they're wafting it all over.

Sorry, slightly off topic but still Tova. I can't help smiling when she's on! She is such old school Hollywood glamour. She reminds me of a character out of a Jackie Collins book or Dynasty (disclaimer, haven't chanced upon either for decades!!). It isn't hard to imagine her made up to the hilt, bedecked in her designer loungewear, swanning through her white mansion leaving a trail of "eau de care home" in her wake, calling everyone 'dahlin' and her staff cowering at her feet!! :mysmilie_846: lol I love it!! :giggle:

*laughs* I think you could be right here! I was watching a movie the other night, I forget what it was called now, but it was about some rich dynasty living in their enormous mansion. I actually thought the woman playing the lead role looked like Tova and I thought to myself that she probably actually lives this lifestyle. Exactly as you describe it! :D I commented at the time, to my son, that this was the sort of background she comes from, trying to flog perfume to the plebs in England :D

Foul Stink. Cross between Jeyes fluid & Ajax. Can't bear her perfumes. Smell cheap & nasty.Tarts boudoir spring to mind.:giggle:

Her Cactine hair shampoo & conditioner was lovely but QVC don't sell now. Also years back she did a Vitamin C moisturiser which smelt wonderful & felt divine on the face but that too has bitten the dust it seems & is no longer available. Believe me I have tried hard to get it.

It seems she just wants to palm us all off with her foul stinking so called perfume & trashy jewelley nowadays.:puke:

I have a feeling she will eventually disappear from QVC.

I used the original Tova Signature with the black lid for years and years, I loved it. I had people comment in the positive, I also had a couple of "flyspray/kitchen" cleaner comments, but I didn't care because I really loved it.......until there was all the fororay (spelling?) over the new formulation, and it really wasn't the same and I moved on. However I have since gone back to Tova Signature and I still love it, platinum is the best for me.
As for the others, Nights was a bit too much for me as was Nirvana, Body Mind and Spirit was too fruity, Love Everlasting was just unpleasant. Not tried Ambre d'Oro.
Conclusion = buy perfume for yourself and hang what anyone else thinks, perfume really is one of the most subjective things in the world, and thankgoodness it is!

I have read on several blogs elsewhere that ever since the various formulas of the perfumes have been changed (I think since QVC bought Tova) that the fragrances are not the same, which is a shame. I believe that thousands of passionate customers/users cannot be dismissed. They write that the fragrances are not the same.

And what a shame that a person spends 25 years or so building a skincare, beauty and make-up range just to sell it to a company like QVC and it ruins so much of it so quickly.

I have read about the many skincare products that many have given high marks to, have even used the Cactine Masque which immediately calmed my skin down and helped get it under control again. It seems to be the only skincare item still regualarly available. I have only been shopping with QVC a little over a year so missed out on her line at QVC over the years. What a shame that so much has been dropped. QVC seems to decide what gets sold, has approval over everything (which is understandable up to a point). Someone like Tova didn't become successful by being incompetent. It's one thing to do a perfume line but bring back the skincare items.

As for her jewellery, it's as nice as any of the Diamonique by any of the myriad of designers on QVC working with that medium. I like the pieces though not all are to my style. I really like the Art Deco and Edwardian pieces. She does them really well. Guess it's all a matter of personal taste.

This is really interesting to me. I've never had any of the fragrances so have no idea what they smell like, but listening to Tova you'd think they were some kind of ethereal magic potion! I too wish they'd provide fragrance cards or samples, but I guess that would affect their sales. Periodicaly OH and I say we should just get on and order some and send it back if we don't like it, at least then we'll know what it smells like and won't watch the shows imagining all kinds of wonderous things about it that may well not be true. We do love Tova though, we nearly passed out with amusement the first time we saw her, all that light blue and peach clothing, photos with panthers, sax in the background, box of chocs on the dressing table etc, the whole Tova project is like a caricature of Dynasty/Shirley Conran/Milk Tray ads! I'm really fussy with scent anyway, the only one I've ever found that I've consistently liked is Paloma Picasso, so perhaps I will get on with Tova, I'm evidently unashamedly eighties in my tastes! :happy:

A T Caller phoned the 1pm Tova show today and extolled the gorgeousness of Tova fragrances, especially Ambre d'Oro. She said she had them all at home, then went on to explain that she had been born with no sense of smell. She relied on people around her to give her feedback.

A T Caller phoned the 1pm Tova show today and extolled the gorgeousness of Tova fragrances, especially Ambre d'Oro. She said she had them all at home, then went on to explain that she had been born with no sense of smell. She relied on people around her to give her feedback.

Says it all:giggle:

I don't think she's got a sense of hearing either:giggle:

:mysmilie_859:

Haha! I so wish I had seen that show. Who was the presenter? Was there a slight smirk on their face at the time?!! What an outstanding testimony. Do you think it was someone taking the Michael?! :smirk: Brilliant :clapping:

:mysmilie_859:

Haha! I so wish I had seen that show. Who was the presenter? Was there a slight smirk on their face at the time?!! What an outstanding testimony. Do you think it was someone taking the Michael?! :smirk: Brilliant :clapping:

It was Ali Keenan, and like Tova, was overcome with gratitude for the lovely phone-call.

I once commented to a colleague of mine that she smelt lovely and she admitted it was tova. I was really impressed

Ah the fragrant Lovely TOVA or Tove -A as my rather ignorant mother likes to refer to her you will have to excuse her she dont watch QVC cant afford the licence fee since the credit crunch.
What happened to her lovely cactine range of the 90s? must have all been returned for the 30 day mbg and then pulled from sale
or the hair mask excellent purchase from a women who wears wigs - i was convinced truly
or the mascara then smells of roses like tova and not of the smell of us plebs wearing mascara eh ? Yes fell for it all and the equallly abysmal perfume not toilet water ladies and therefore more expensive to create why is the amber one coloured like wee? Because it smells like wee
and what is that new photo she has of her on the sets looks like a ginger alien still at least a change from the knocked over queen mother portrait of yesteryear
Tova in her peach coloured pyjamas selling her tat love the shows hate the products injected with embrios to keep her looking soft and young -so it werent the cactine afterall

seems strange to say when I buy candles from qvc - but as much as I love perfume,I just cannot buy it from the tv - I really have to smell it.I'm not prepared to take the risk and just go for it - perfume is so personal.

I only like Body, Mind and Spirit........always have done.
Have used it for several years now and have to agree it is not as strong as it used to be, however every time I wear it someone asks "who has that lovely perfume on?" Maybe it just doesn't suit everyone.
So many of the store perfumes give me a headache and this one most certainly doesn't.
I'm still amazed I actually bought a "perfume" from the television, just shows u how good Tova "sells it"

The first time I saw Tova I thought how on earth do you sell a perfume on TV? Well, the way Debbie, the lovely blond model that usually does the Tova shows, was spritzing it around her, clearly enjoying the experience. Maybe it was good presenting but it was convincing. Tova painted lovely scenarios of many of the perfumes, the Italian countryside, her native Norway, etc. It was effective. Plus it's nice that she mentions her husband Ernie. They seem to support each other really well ... of course, :cash: and talent helps.

Latest posts

Back