Top 10 Albums

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Things have changed for me obviously with age, but in my youth I'd watch TOTPs religiously, tape the top 40 every Sunday, go to discos, go out and buy records so I'd always be abreast of the scene, and of course my equally youthful friends/boyfriends would be into their music so I'd hear the stuff they were playing too. Nowdays my nights out don't involve music unless I'm attending a concert and that'll always be a retro act or a retro festival. I will blame OH for a lot of my out of touchness, as he only ever listens to classical music and has no time whatsoever for anything that's not in that genre. He drives the car so the radio is always tuned into classic FM, he does all the cooking so the radio in the kitchen is always tuned into Classic FM. Even though I was brought up in a household where classical music was listened to a lot, I never really appreciated it but to be honest thanks to OH I've grown to love a lot of it and being of a certain age now I'm happy to listen to it as it can be both moving and relaxing. I'm happy to leave the modern stuff to the kids - 'cause it's not just the music, it's the lifestyle, the clubs, the gigs and I really can't be bothered to try to get into it. There's enough old stuff in my memory banks to keep me going, stuff that makes me re-live my dancing days so I'm happy!

Lol @merryone , you should commandeer the living room hi-fi/radio, and tell the OH that's my domain! 😀

Here's one I liked more recently from a few years ago. Good chords, counterpoint.

top 10 albums 02/08/24

10 – ghost - new
9 – fleetwood mac
8 – sam tompkins
7 – the weeknd - new
6 – blur - new
5 – billie eilish
4 – chappell roan
3 – charlie xcx
2 – taylor swift
1 – eminem

How about this? Any album by Aya Nakamura, and any song by Taylor Austin Dye.
Not familiar with either, will look 'em up.

Just to say I prefer to use YouTube Music app (not YouTube video, although also useful) and Amazon Music apps to hear songs I want, without being sent to related or prevented.

Spotify and similar other apps play related and shuffle without letting you play the actual song, track or album.

Not familiar with either, will look 'em up.

Just to say I prefer to use YouTube Music app (not YouTube video, although also useful) and Amazon Music apps to hear songs I want, without being sent to related or prevented.

Spotify and similar other apps play related and shuffle without letting you play the actual song, track or album.
African French and US respectively. A story or two. Holiday in France, when the channels on their TV had a 'music hour or two', Aya was on it and now I have all her albums to date. And I was looking for a completely unrelated video, relatively recently over here, and Taylor popped up and I got into her too.

This was a good one from a while back, Fireflies by Owl City. Wrote an album in his parent's basement and produced it all himself with his keyboard synths and it became a worldwide hit.

Good video too and the precisely written and phrased lyrics are impressive.

African French and US respectively. A story or two. Holiday in France, when the channels on their TV had a 'music hour or two', Aya was on it and now I have all her albums to date. And I was looking for a completely unrelated video, relatively recently over here, and Taylor popped up and I got into her too.
Can you post their music, video, a track you like of theirs here? Find it in YouTube and paste the share copy link.

Ok, change of tack. Talking of melodic, haunting.

The Lonely Shepherd. While it sounds like a South American folk music staple legend, it was actually written by James Last, a German, of his Band fame.
George Zhamfire first performed it with him 40 odd years earlier as a young man! This version was with André Rieu more recently.

A better quality audio version:

An early 1978 performance by the same pan pipes player as a young man, George Zhamfire, at the Albert Hall with the James Last orchestra:

Amazing. You may have heard this The Lonely Shepherd song as it was used in the soundtrack of Tarantino's movie Kill Bill Vol.1.

The Lonely Shepherd" was used as the theme for the 1979 Australian miniseries Golden Soak. It was also featured in Ishu Patel's 1984 Oscar-nominated short film Paradise, Quentin Tarantino's 2003 film Kill Bill: Volume 1 and in Nikolas Grasso's 2010 short film Doina.

Whiter Shade of Pale, Annie Lennox (Dave Stewart produced) after Procul Harum.
A great song and arrangement, based on Bach's Air on a G string inspiration.

This one always cheers me up when I'm blue.

I love that song...and it totally reminds me of the balmy summer days of the mid 1970's. It's the beginning of the school summer holidays and "there ain't a cloud in sight" This is playing on the radio as I get ready to walk down to my friend's house for a day of fun n' frolics. Who needs all this modern stuff when you've got songs like this in your memory?!

Ok, change of tack. Talking of melodic, haunting.

The Lonely Shepherd. While it sounds like a South American folk music staple legend, it was actually written by James Last, a German, of his Band fame.
George Zhamfire first performed it with him 40 odd years earlier as a young man! This version was with André Rieu more recently.

A better quality audio version:

An early 1978 performance by the same pan pipes player as a young man, George Zhamfire, at the Albert Hall with the James Last orchestra:

Amazing. You may have heard this The Lonely Shepherd song as it was used in the soundtrack of Tarantino's movie Kill Bill Vol.1.

The Lonely Shepherd" was used as the theme for the 1979 Australian miniseries Golden Soak. It was also featured in Ishu Patel's 1984 Oscar-nominated short film Paradise, Quentin Tarantino's 2003 film Kill Bill: Volume 1 and in Nikolas Grasso's 2010 short film Doina.
Last part of the last video: very reminiscent of Yma Sumac. Another one I recommend ;)

The other ELO track I like is this one which tells a good story and a moral, go for it:
The Diary of Horace Wimp.

While I hesitate to use the word 'genius', Jeff Lynne is certainly a terrifically talented songwriter and musician/performer.

This BBC studio concert from 2019 when promoting his latest album was excellent and has all the bangers:

Last edited:
top 10 albums 09/08/24

10 – eminem
9 – noah kahan
8 – fleetwood mac
7 – kanye west & ty dolla sign - new
6 – the weeknd
5 – eminem
4 – billie eilish
3 – taylor swift
2 – charlie xcx
1 – chappell roan