Oasis tickets!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

She was fantastic when I saw her. Incredible 'bluesy' voice and covered Chris Rea's 'Fool if you think it's over' - made a great job of it, too!

My favourite Spandau one is 'True'. Nothing against 'Gold' though. Tony Hadley of Spandau always reminded me of the actor John Duttine (or perhaps I should say John Duttine reminded me of Tony Hadley?)
Saw Chris Rea a couple of times in 'thankfully' small theatres. Love most of his albums, but like most artists I like I'm not keen on the really commercial offerings. Strangely enough loved the Lindisfarne Christmas concert in Newcastle and went a couple of times.

I like Elkie, i have DVDs and CDs and I have also seen her live twice over the last 10 years, I think she told the audience she was 70, but still as good as ever. They were in a small theatre so quite an intimate performance.
Top song/singer.

Barbara's song as good.

Friday will be a year since the passing of the great Roger Whittaker.
What a talent.
See how many of these you remember. Done live with Val Doonican. A special moment:

Saw Chris Rea a couple of times in 'thankfully' small theatres. Love most of his albums, but like most artists I like I'm not keen on the really commercial offerings. Strangely enough loved the Lindisfarne Christmas concert in Newcastle and went a couple of times.
Chris Rea, I hate Coming Home For Christmas!!! Always loved Stains bury Girls, which is never every played.

Chris de Burg, I hate Woman in Red, which they only play now. But his album Spanish Train And Other Stories is brilliant. And of course Patricia The Stripper 🤣

Top song/singer.

Barbara's song as good.

Friday will be a year since the passing of the great Roger Whittaker.
What a talent.
See how many of these you remember. Done live with Val Doonican. A special moment:
Have always liked Roger Whittaker's 'The Last Farewell'. Great speaking voice, too, as this nostalgic video clip shows - he would have been ideal for audiobooks.

When Lady In Red came out, Chris de Burg turned into a total PRAT!

Hence, I refuse to listen to anything by him since that.
When Lady In Red came out, Chris de Burg turned into a total PRAT!

Hence, I refuse to listen to anything by him since that.
One of my first bosses was Mr Pratt

The Water boys The Whole Of The Moon. Awesome uplifting.

Fergal Sharkey A Good Heart pure joy

Do you know what, the Waterboys stood in for Michael Bolton as headliners at the Rewind festival a few years ago, I was so looking forward to Bolton as imo he's so bad he's good, anyway he couldn't make it and the Waterboys filled in as a replacement - I was literally gutted as I had only heard of whole of the moon and it wasn't a song I was particularly keen on. Come the night they came on stage and played Whole of the moon with a full August moon in the sky and it was spectacular, I found that I loved all the other stuff they did that I was unaware of, and they also did purple rain and they did an absolutely brilliant job of it and I'd honestly say they were the best headliners that festival has ever had - I'm a total convert!

I hated The Lady in Red so have never looked into his back catalogue.
Chris totally sold out when he released Lady In Red!

Noel Edmonds when he had his radio show used to play quite a bit of Chris de Burg, each song was like a story. Patricia The Stripper was a funny song about how people's outrage about her striptease. "With a slip of her hip, she started to dip." Then the police raided. She is the greatest stripper in town.

Spanish Train and Other Stories, a man who plays cards with the devil. One, I cannot remember the proper title now a song about a man visiting an old graveyard very sad gentle song. Then A Spaceman Came Travelling, it is actually a Christmas song about how a space traveler arrives on earth at the birth of Jesus

You'll never know how good it is then, and SO DIFFERENT from the original version.
Just listened to it, and I agree with you, Stratobuddy, it's a big improvement on how I've heard the song in the past. He still chops his words off a bit, particularly a bit at the end where you get 'my lady in r..' and it sort of tails off - when in my book he should have rendered the line 'my lady in red' clearly at the end of the song. But there you go, personal preference, and one of the reasons I've been a bit critical of him in the past is because I think he mumbles in his boots for some of the lyrics he sings.

Couple of particularly nice parts at about 1.45 (orchestra) and 2.33 (de Burg), I thought, but impressive musical rendition, I agree.

Chris Rea, I hate Coming Home For Christmas!!! Always loved Stains bury Girls, which is never every played.

Chris de Burg, I hate Woman in Red, which they only play now. But his album Spanish Train And Other Stories is brilliant. And of course Patricia The Stripper 🤣
A lady well after my own heart, I do like Spanish Train, but at the moment have 'End of a perfect day' in the car which I think may be my favourite of his albums, I adore 'Rainy night in Paris' and 'Summer Rain'. As to Rea I think Auberge is my favourite album.

The Water boys The Whole Of The Moon. Awesome uplifting.

Fergal Sharkey A Good Heart pure joy

When I worked in a pub, many moons ago, there was a customer who put Whole of the Moon on the jukebox at least once most times he was in. I loved it and still do and it always takes me straight back there.

A year today since the passing of the great Roger Whittaker.

He write this himself I believe and was an amazing whistler:

This is a really strange one, perhaps just an N.I. thing?

But right up until the early 00s, perhaps it still goes on? But at the end of the evening in a club/disco, whatever you want to call it. They played Daydream Believer by The Monkeys. Now the rest of the night it was the usual chart etc stuff. Every would throw their arms around their friends and sing at the top of their voices.

I sometimes listen to Gold Radio, and they play it, and yet I still sing along with it.

I have been following this violinist and her musical family busking since she was a young child.

Latest posts

Back