Flinty and Kangas

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bea Frugal

Registered Shopper
Just when I thought old Flint was becoming safer to watch I see she’s back in full Del Boy mode trying to flog the prai tsv. Crikey she’s shameless. Thank goodness she’s safely beyond reach or I’d be afraid to be frogmarched to the phone to get my order in. Also, Cathy looks suspiciously rejuvenated on the proceeds

Just when I thought old Flint was becoming safer to watch I see she’s back in full Del Boy mode trying to flog the prai tsv. Crikey she’s shameless. Thank goodness she’s safely beyond reach or I’d be afraid to be frogmarched to the phone to get my order in. Also, Cathy looks suspiciously rejuvenated on the proceeds
She's surely not had her neck done to flog oodles of Prai?? I'm not falling for it.

CC

Has Km also given up the ghost? She hasn’t appeared to promote her new offerings this week, even on video calls. Just that strange promo where she tells us to wear clothes that fit if we want to stay healthy ( what’s all that about?) She used to do video calls from her home, where she had a rail of clothes set up, and a bemused little dog balancing on a tiny round table. We just get Jenny Blackhurst swirling about and singing her praises now.

Not coming saves the owners a fortune. No flights to pay for and staying in a hotel now just do Zoom.
Easier and cheaper on Zoom, but Kimmy never does it. I'm sure that sales skyrocket when the body of the designer shows up. Flight and hotels for a couple of nights would cost them under £5,000 and it would be tax deductible. Would anyone buy Ruth if she weren't always on live? She'd still have her fans, but sales would go downhill. Same with Ben de Lisi. Granted, they can get to the QVC studios by car, but it matters that they are there in the flesh.

Has Km also given up the ghost? She hasn’t appeared to promote her new offerings this week, even on video calls. Just that strange promo where she tells us to wear clothes that fit if we want to stay healthy ( what’s all that about?) She used to do video calls from her home, where she had a rail of clothes set up, and a bemused little dog balancing on a tiny round table. We just get Jenny Blackhurst swirling about and singing her praises now.
Something fishy going on. Same with Marla.

How I miss QVC's glory years when fun, charismatic people with a bit of 'Oomph' would rock up to the studios in person to set out their stall, heralded at midnight by their brand new TSV. I'm talking the late Joan Rivers, Dennis Basso, Tova Borgnine, even Ralph of the much-missed 'Honora Pearls' was entertaining in the flesh back then!

And there was that hilarious, wonderfully camp clothes designer, a middle-aged, perma-tanned American with glasses, whose wife sometimes appeared with him (he would often go over and tweak the models clothing, then dance with them). Help me out guys - you must remember him, he sadly died quite young?

Aside from the fact many of them are unavailable as they've unavoidably died, Covid has allowed QVC to do everything on the cheap via Zoom. Imagine the savings they made on the likes of Joanie, Dennis and Tova, all of whom insisted on staying at the Dorchester if memory serves (and I bet the room service bills weren't small!)

Back then I would often kick off my stilettos, crack open a bottle of wine and watch QVC for entertainment value alone - it could be especially good at midnight, when Joan Rivers would deliberately say something 'post-watershed naughty' to get Dale Franklin chuckling. It must be so boring for the presenters now, without that smattering of celebrity stardust.

Who do the poor wretches get to bounce-off in the flesh these days? The increasingly face-lifted and terrifying Simon Wilson, with his dreadful cutesie kittens and skulls-with-everything costume jewellery (that man could go 'Trick or Treating' without props)? Or worse, the ever-lengthening queue of ghastly so-called experts - the jewellery ones are the worst. Don't get me started on that dreadful woman with greasy, scraped back hair and dagger-like acrylic nails she laughably claims are real - camera close-ups say different - constantly boasting about her '15 years working with gems worth LITERALLY hundreds of thousands' (there really should be an automatic fine/firing for anyone using the words 'literally' and exactly' more than 10 times in an hour). Her attempts to flirt with Charlie Brooks, laughing close to seizure at his every feeble quip, are 'literally' gag-reflex inducing (and I suspect, hopelessly optimistic).

And there's the brummie, home-dyed blonde who insists on calling lever back earrings 'lever arch earrings (no dear - that's an office file for storing documents). Some expert!

Perhaps the greatest joy of the old, starry days, was the viewer phone calls, when we humble QVC sponsors had the chance to - be still my beating heart - speak direct to the legendary silver fox Dale, or even a real star like Joan Rivers. Why did QVC block the calls? Whatsapp and Twitter quotes read off a screen are no substitute for hearing an elderly lady describe her 20-year-old Diamonique collection, while in the background, a cat yowls to be let out. I must confess, I could be the reason the calls stopped being put through. Never drink and dial a shopping channel - to order goods or speak live on air. Presenters don't like customer feedback that much!

And there was that hilarious, wonderfully camp clothes designer, a middle-aged, perma-tanned American with glasses, whose wife sometimes appeared with him (he would often go over and tweak the models clothing, then dance with them). Help me out guys - you must remember him, he sadly died quite young?

Are you thinking of Lenny (Feinberg) from Nina Leonard?

Attachments

• 10999005_10153275432414656_4183914153296394050_o-1.jpeg
    10999005_10153275432414656_4183914153296394050_o-1.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
Along the same lines, I was only thinking a few days ago that you never see Laura Geller live on air now - she used to come over fairly regularly, but it's just Sarah Jagger now (who I quite like), with the occasional appearance from LG via video call. Same with Cathy Kangas, who used to appear in person, albeit infrequently, and who now only ever appears from that slightly odd room via video call.

I think it was Covid wot did it: they realised that appearing in person wasn't absolutely necessary to keeping their sales going, so why bother with a transatlantic flight any longer?

Also, what happened to that slighly fat, Billy Bunter-esque bloke who used to present home products like bog brushes and the like from a panelled room with a fireplace in it that looked like Hogworts? Can't for the life of me remember his name...

Latest posts

Back