Flashes? Flushes?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This is something which has bugged me - I'd never even heard of the phrase 'hot flashes' until QVC - I thought she'd mispronounced it. Given I think it was Awfelia, who can't even pronounce basic words, this seemed a distinct possibility.

They're all so ready to use Americanisms wherever possible - I really don't know why. I think it's alienating to a UK audience. I'm surprised DelBoy hasn't started saying 'fall' instead of autumn.

The guest who is demonstrating the new tili bag with Debbie Flint, and Catherine Huntley yesterday, both said flashes. I’ve heard it more and more over the last few weeks. It really annoys me! To me, the definition of flash is it’s over in about two seconds, and menopausal flushes last a little longer!

To me a flash is a quick, short , sharp action, like a flash of lightning. My flushes weren’t like that, more like a facial flash that lasted minutes.

This wording along witga trouser, a pump, a short etc, plus “ so fun “really annoy me.
And for goodness sake don’t get me started on autumnernal instead of autumnal.

To me a flash is a quick, short , sharp action, like a flash of lightning. My flushes weren’t like that, more like a facial flash that lasted minutes.

This wording along witga trouser, a pump, a short etc, plus “ so fun “really annoy me.
And for goodness sake don’t get me started on autumnernal instead of autumnal.
Oh Autumernal :mad:. Awfelia is the one who puts extra syllables in words the most. Also, whenever she's talking about fragrance, she keeps pronouncing 'envelop' as 'envelope' - which is faintly hilarious. I think the gallery/colleagues are being a bit mean not to have quietly mentioned it to her, given she's been doing it forever - it doesn't help her sound any less dense, and I can't believe it's only me that's noticed it.

I always referred to them as hot flushes as did mum who was a nursing sister and dad who was a consultant physician.

Like Battiola73, I think a flash is something that happens quickly and then goes. Hot flushes are definitely not quick in passing off.

Another word that I think they often mispronounce is marshmallows. A lot of the presenters call them marshmellows …… or maybe I’ve been saying it wrong for decades. 🤔

Just caught a bit of today’s menopause show. They have a Menopause Coach on!

Will she coach you on how to get night sweats, hot flushes, facial outbreaks, dryness down there, mood swings etc. 🤣 Good luck to the woman as she’s obviously making it her career, but I do wonder what she charges. Not sure if she’s a GP or Gynaecologist or has any medical qualifications.

Just caught a bit of today’s menopause show. They have a Menopause Coach on!

Will she coach you on how to get night sweats, hot flushes, facial outbreaks, dryness down there, mood swings etc. 🤣 Good luck to the woman as she’s obviously making it her career, but I do wonder what she charges. Not sure if she’s a GP or Gynaecologist or has any medical qualifications.
I'm not a Gynaecologist but I don't mind taking a look :)

Latest posts

Back