Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

You would need a long in-depth reply explaining the many quirks in human psychology to give a detailed answer to that question, but in short stupidity, easily manipulated, bias, idolisation, hypocrisy etc are all traits which will be included within the answer. ;)
Or just new people and C&C viewers who never watched IW!
Tonight it’s Shop Extra all the way
I thought someone said they wouldn't be on C&C from 10pm.
So does this mean they're turning CE into SE for longer and longer, now 6pm-12 today? Adds to my theory CE may become SE permanently?

I can provide proof to a moderator/admin if you like but I’d rather stay anonymous for obvious reasons
I believe you

In some very limited experience with some Tv types the ones I have thought were "nice" were not and vice versa

Of course, making sweeping generalisations from one meeting is not great we all have bad days, same goes for watching a tv shopping channel

I can provide proof to a moderator/admin if you like but I’d rather stay anonymous for obvious reasons
So what did the forum get wrong (probably long before I joined here a couple of months ago) or wide of the mark about IW, that you mentioned in your reply earlier?

P.S. Finally caught up in about 12 pages of comments on this thread, which is as good as the IW thread!? 😁

P.P.S. I believe you too, just want proof you're not actually PS from IW! 😜 Just kidding. 😁

So what did the forum get wrong (probably long before I joined here a couple of months ago) or wide of the mark about IW, that you mentioned in your reply earlier?
This is only from what I can remember being discussed on here so feel free to shoot me more direct questions but script reading was a big one that has never been the case.
A lot of presenters and staff did actually buy and believed in some of the products sold.
All stock calls during shows are 100% accurate and to the annoyance of everyone involved it would often be the case that stock got added after the hour, affecting everyone’s credibility with nobody being told this would happen.

I can’t say anything about timepieces shows as everyone involved in them relied on the guest ‘experts’ to provide accurate details on movements, materials etc, which when reading here have clearly not been the case and it seems they’ve relied on the naivety and trust of their team to exaggerate or outright lie.

This is only from what I can remember being discussed on here so feel free to shoot me more direct questions but script reading was a big one that has never been the case.
A lot of presenters and staff did actually buy and believed in some of the products sold.
All stock calls during shows are 100% accurate and to the annoyance of everyone involved it would often be the case that stock got added after the hour, affecting everyone’s credibility with nobody being told this would happen.

I can’t say anything about timepieces shows as everyone involved in them relied on the guest ‘experts’ to provide accurate details on movements, materials etc, which when reading here have clearly not been the case and it seems they’ve relied on the naivety and trust of their team to exaggerate or outright lie.
I guessed they would have Items delivered to there warehouse all day,

I can’t say anything about timepieces shows as everyone involved in them relied on the guest ‘experts’ to provide accurate details on movements, materials etc, which when reading here have clearly not been the case and it seems they’ve relied on the naivety and trust of their team to exaggerate or outrig

The issue was thought with certain (granted not all) presenters, They would say I'm buying ten of said item, regardless of what they were selling and when they believed in the product the belief only seemed to last until a newer upgraded model arrived then the previous model was a waste of money.

Example was last night a "new" vibrapower was getting sold, the presenter said something along the lines of "I feel the last one we sold was a basic and much inferior vibrapower" Oh thats nice for the poor buyer of the previous vibrapower to hear.......now they feel like they have an inferior item.

From IW I bought Blue Magic (it was 2 AM, they were live across the United Kingdom on ITV during the best time of day show, so my facilities were impaired), a NutriBullet, Williams Waterless Wash & Wax, a Ninja smoothie thing (as the NutriBullet burnt out), and a 32v VAX Blade cordless vacuum which, I was assured, was the best vac they'd brought to air

…until the next one came to air.

Anyone else fancy confessing? 🤭

Great reply, thanks.

My assumption was the IW Management would allocate a fixed amount of stock per slot, still having reserves in the warehouse ? Or did they order more/deliveries. But the TV slots on the programme schedule were usually well in advance, knowing there would be stock available. Very rarely, they would drop a final slot if stock had truly run out. Thereby creating tension, sell-outs and urgency. From what you say the presenters/team were unaware. But it happened so regularly so surely they were clued in eventually, no?

Other questions for you:

- PaulB hinted that the IW business was mismanaged, wrong priorities towards the end and the IW business would have been ok with the correct decisions. Do you agree?

- what was the impact of the new investors, Mojaria and co.? Were they trying to reinvigorate and refresh IW to save it, or were they profit-taking or other priorities?

- how did the Sports Direct involvement work and were they trying to save IW with the company charge loan, and products, or trying to obtain IW assets cheaply?

- my biggest question of all: what was the thinking of bringing in Eric Knowles to sell watches (Nubeo). It didn't go well! Did the team think he was as bad as I/we did on here? Were the new investors/management trying famous faces to get sales traction and save IW?

What was the new/other strategy to save IW, if any?

Thanks for any answers! 😃

The issue was thought with certain (granted not all) presenters, They would say I'm buying ten of said item, regardless of what they were selling and when they believed in the product the belief only seemed to last until a newer upgraded model arrived then the previous model was a waste of money.

Example was last night a "new" vibrapower was getting sold, the presenter said something along the lines of "I feel the last one we sold was a basic and much inferior vibrapower" Oh thats nice for the poor buyer of the previous vibrapower to hear.......now they feel like they have an inferior item.
Oh absolutely!
Great reply, thanks.

My assumption was the IW Management would allocate a fixed amount of stock per slot, still having reserves in the warehouse ? Or did they order more/deliveries. But the TV slots on the programme schedule were usually well in advance, knowing there would be stock available. Very rarely, they would drop a final slot if stock had truly run out. Thereby creating tension, sell-outs and urgency. From what you say the presenters/team were unaware. But it happened so regularly so surely they were clued in eventually, no?

Other questions for you:

- PaulB hinted that the IW business was mismanaged, wrong priorities towards the end and the IW business would have been ok with the correct decisions. Do you agree?

- what was the impact of the new investors, Mojaria and co.? Were they trying to reinvigorate and refresh IW to save it, or were they profit-taking or other priorities?

- how did the Sports Direct involvement work and were they trying to save IW with the company charge loan, and products, or trying to obtain IW assets cheaply?

- my biggest question of all: what was the thinking of bringing in Eric Knowles to sell watches (Nubeo). It didn't go well! Did the team think he was as bad as I/we did on here? Were the new investors/management trying famous faces to get sales traction and save IW?

What was the new/other strategy to save IW, if any?

Thanks for any answers! 😃
All the stock we had was available on all shows, nothing was kept behind. The issue was when a show was doing well and selling many units, people would be frantically on the phones buying more without discussing with other parties, making it look like it was there all along.

IW was hugely mismanaged. The new CEO proudly proclaimed ‘shopping TV is dead’ and then proceeded to overpay ‘celebrities’ to appear with 0 talent or training. With Sports Direct, they wanted the channel to sell their products, with no knowledge of how the industry works and what items sell and don’t (as expected, their leftovers did not). Eric Knowles was widely known as a bad idea but the CEO would fire anyone who said no to him, leading to many resignations and firings in the final months.
His ‘strategy’ was to get big on social media and replace those he deemed ‘too old’ with fresher faces who couldn’t sell and led to poorer sales

Why would you buy a shopping channel. If you believed Shopping TV was dead, that doesn’t make sense

I guess that is why Michelle Heaton suddenly appeared with Fashion
Exactly what we all said. I think he believed he could transform the channel into social media selling, but wouldn’t invest the money for a social media team and instead told staff members to create shoppable content.

Yes that’s exactly why new faces started appearing. And ironically, it was the older presenters who had the best sales.

Who’s the scary Mary guest
I don’t know. Doesn’t look too happy though..
IMG_1675.jpeg

Not another actress

Well if you want someone to play the part of a pretendy expert then best to have someone with acting experience. Plus TV shopping channels/brands/advertisers etc all know that there are millions of brain-dead sheep out there who'll buy anything being promoted by a celebrity type.

BTW She was on Ideal World quite a few times.

Latest posts

Back