Random Musings and Critiques Etc.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I’ve seen all the stuff they’re flogging tonight - GX pillows, giant oversized blanket hoodies, and those plastic sticky hooks - a hundred times before but…

…even with man child Alex guest experting, it’s actually been a total hoot tonight.

Laid back, no pressure selling/check out baskets nonsense, lots of being a bit silly, jokes and banter, anecdotes, nattering like no one is watching (no one probably is bar me), embracing the odd mishap and mistake with production and cameras and VTs with humour.

I don’t think the products are good enough. it’s the same old IW/Shop Extra staples basically. But the presentation of it all is honestly on point. It’s early days so chances are those irritating tropes we all hate will work their way back in, but right now it feels exactly like what Selly Telly sort of should be in 2023.

They are still obviously selling things so they’re doing selling too, but so far everything feels waaaaaaaaaaay more relaxed and authentic. It is genuinely like a Rob Locke approach to a shopping channel - and he’s not even turned up yet!

Last edited:
Though Hayley is still pronouncing pillow as a pillar 🏛️ … and she’s back to telling people to do their own research.

Vostok coming up tomorrow so that’ll be interesting as Kevski will be there and he’s king of BS and misleading claims….

I’ve seen all the stuff they’re flogging tonight - GX pillows, giant oversized blanket hoodies, and those plastic sticky hooks - a hundred times before but…

…even with man child Alex guest experting, it’s actually been a total hoot tonight.

Laid back, no pressure selling/check out baskets nonsense, lots of being a bit silly, jokes and banter, anecdotes, nattering like no one is watching (no one probably is bar me), embracing the odd mishap and mistake with production and cameras and VTs with humour.

I don’t think the products are good enough. it’s the same old IW/Shop Extra staples basically. But the presentation of it all is honestly on point. It’s early days so chances are those irritating tropes we all hate will work their way back in, but right now it feels exactly like what Selly Telly sort of should be in 2023.

They are still obviously selling things so they’re doing selling too, but so far everything feels waaaaaaaaaaay more relaxed and authentic. It is genuinely like a Rob Locke approach to a shopping channel - and he’s not even turned up yet!
They said in the first show, I believe Rob Locke is one of the main people involved on a production level as well as being a presenter. Not sure exactly what his status is (perhaps similar to Andy Love on Hobbymaker TV)

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your feedback and comments, they are deeply appreciated. Also, apologies for my radio silence. To say I've been a bit busy with the show setup would be the understatement of the century!

I can confirm that I am the 'other' presenter. Hayley & Shaun are Mon-Thu and I'm Fri-Sun. I wanted to make sure everything was up and running smoothly before I jumped in front of the camera, hence 'Shayley' presenting throughout launch week.

My official title is 'Head of TV / Presenter' but, as we're a small team, titles mean nothing. I'm just the one accountable for the broadcast. The buck stops with me, kind of thing.

To give you a bit of background...

Shop on TV is a collaboration between ITV and an assembled team of shopping telly 'veterans' (plus me). It's people whom we respect and trust, with a vision of how selly telly should be done these days. Innovation will be our beating heart. Great products, great prices, and great service will always be our primary goal! As I keep reminding everyone, we're not a shopping channel, we're an ITV shopping show.

You're a huge part of that as viewers, and you will be listened to!

We appreciate that there are several 'familiar' products and very grateful to the suppliers who jumped through hoops to get us on air. We had to start somewhere, as the deal was only inked 6 weeks ago, meaning we launched very late in the year. We have big plans though. Many new, recognisable brands are lining up to be part of Shop on TV family. Rome wasn't built in a day, of course, so thank you for bearing with us.

The good news is that, because we're not trying to fill 18 hours of airtime every day, we can laser focus on the 3 we do have to fill.

We hold ourselves to the hightest standards of quality and compliance, which are likewise demanded by ITV. My acronym for our core values is 'H.I.T.' (Honesty, Integrity, Trust) and I'm adamant that these principles are upheld at all times. No-one will ever work for us who can't adhere to that basic tenet.

We're tweaking as we go to perfect the techincal aspects of the broadcast. Again, we did this from scratch in just 6 weeks, which is no mean feat. I can't wait to sleep again. 😆

Anyway, feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

Thanks again and kindest regards,

Rob L (with an... ah, you know).

Hi rob
though only the reusable hooks have tempted me so far I’ve have enjoyed watching. it’s been nice to watch a shopping channel that’s made me smile rather than want to throw a brick at my TV. I look forward to seeing more and wish you all the best of luck.

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your feedback and comments, they are deeply appreciated. Also, apologies for my radio silence. To say I've been a bit busy with the show setup would be the understatement of the century!

I can confirm that I am the 'other' presenter. Hayley & Shaun are Mon-Thu and I'm Fri-Sun. I wanted to make sure everything was up and running smoothly before I jumped in front of the camera, hence 'Shayley' presenting throughout launch week.

My official title is 'Head of TV / Presenter' but, as we're a small team, titles mean nothing. I'm just the one accountable for the broadcast. The buck stops with me, kind of thing.

To give you a bit of background...

Shop on TV is a collaboration between ITV and an assembled team of shopping telly 'veterans' (plus me). It's people whom we respect and trust, with a vision of how selly telly should be done these days. Innovation will be our beating heart. Great products, great prices, and great service will always be our primary goal! As I keep reminding everyone, we're not a shopping channel, we're an ITV shopping show.

You're a huge part of that as viewers, and you will be listened to!

We appreciate that there are several 'familiar' products and very grateful to the suppliers who jumped through hoops to get us on air. We had to start somewhere, as the deal was only inked 6 weeks ago, meaning we launched very late in the year. We have big plans though. Many new, recognisable brands are lining up to be part of Shop on TV family. Rome wasn't built in a day, of course, so thank you for bearing with us.

The good news is that, because we're not trying to fill 18 hours of airtime every day, we can laser focus on the 3 we do have to fill.

We hold ourselves to the hightest standards of quality and compliance, which are likewise demanded by ITV. My acronym for our core values is 'H.I.T.' (Honesty, Integrity, Trust) and I'm adamant that these principles are upheld at all times. No-one will ever work for us who can't adhere to that basic tenet.

We're tweaking as we go to perfect the techincal aspects of the broadcast. Again, we did this from scratch in just 6 weeks, which is no mean feat. I can't wait to sleep again. 😆

Anyway, feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

Thanks again and kindest regards,

Rob L (with an... ah, you know).
From what I've seen of it, you have achieved that and more. We will always nitpick and call things out on here but fair play, it is a much more professional set up. If only other shopping telly would take note. The craft channels to be fair have made efforts but as for other places, that's for another thread ;)

It was bound to happen. But I chuckled when Hayley let slip Ideal World, twice at the beginning of last nights show. It was obviously subconscious but ever the professionals they just ignored it and moved swiftly on. I grabbed a sample from the YouTube feed. The feed was glitchy in the very beginning but corrected itself.

Here's the clip

Finding it just a tad irritating that the sound is out of sinc, didn’t really notice it much at first but as the days have gone by it’s getting harder to ignore 😔

On my tv
if i watch on youtube the sound matches movement but watching on ITV there’s a mismatch
usually if you unplug and then restart this can solve the issue, in some cases if it is freeview retuning works. I had this problem years ago when I used to have Freesat and sometime still when using Freeview. Funnily enough I use Roku now but the Shop On TV stuff isn't available on that so have to use YouTube.

usually if you unplug and then restart this can solve the issue, in some cases if it is freeview retuning works. I had this problem years ago when I used to have Freesat and sometime still when using Freeview. Funnily enough I use Roku now but the Shop On TV stuff isn't available on that so have to use YouTube.
You made me smile at the idea of unplug. My tv is set in a 12 ft long wall to wall unit and the plug is totally inaccessible without emptying out the whole unit so it’s light enough to move it.
switching of at the extension socket and then resetting is something I can do so thanks 😃

You made me smile at the idea of unplug. My tv is set in a 12 ft long wall to wall unit and the plug is totally inaccessible without emptying out the whole unit so it’s light enough to move it.
switching of at the extension socket and then resetting is something I can do so thanks 😃
I should mention the extension is also behind the unit but I can if I’m careful slowly pull it though the hole in the unit 😂

Just caught some of their last night’s broadcast on catch-up. Rob Locke presenting and talking to the viewers like they are sentient human beings living in 2023 - rather than Carry On film lovers with no common sense living in 1975. Tim Britton back again with a decent enough looking e-Bike (though, check Amazon reviews), then a virtual reality headset which looked quite interesting. Such a breath of fresh air in style compared to some other recent start-ups.

Roku is great. I've got an Express (HD), a Stick (NowTV) and a new Roku Streambar (4K and S/pdif soundbar). YouTube via Roku for ShoponTV catch-up, but you can watch it live on ITVXchannel via Roku, no?

My Roku stick had sync/buffering sound issues. You need to play with the audio settings, various Dolby/quality settings on/off sorted it for me.

Latest posts

Back