General Banter and Random Musings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes Peter you must be really concerned
I do not know why you think I am Peter. I am not! Do you really think Peter Simon would take or have time to come on here to pretend to be me and talk to you all?
I am sure you will say yes but I don't know what he does but I only registered and came into this shopping forum thing when my friend said you were all mentioning my name in here in this forum after I buy things from Ideal World when Peter mentions my name.

I do not know why you think I am Peter. I am not! Do you really think Peter Simon would take or have time to come on here to pretend to be me and talk to you all?
I am sure you will say yes but I don't know what he does but I only registered and came into this shopping forum thing when my friend said you were all mentioning my name in here in this forum after I buy things from Ideal World when Peter mentions my name.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😜😜

just curious, did the friend work at Ideal World? Or how did they hear you were mentioned in a forum?

I am solely expressing my opinion on the entire situation.

Many Facebook users were left with no information after the initial silence on the page. Reading posts on this forum from Alex and all the various Insiders who posted was their sole source of information. This could have been averted if Simon had of posted a short video message on the Facbook page explaining what was really going on (not every last detail), as soon as the rumours about broadcasting has stopped because either the bill for the freeview capcity had increaed due to missing a clause in the contract, or they couldn't pay the rest of the deposit owed for the freeview channel capcity. For most people, this may well have quelled the rumours and most of the criticism on the Facebook page would have stopped. I can only suggest for most people it would have quelled the rumors because different individuals will have different viewpoints on the situation due to their differing perspectives. I am certain that I can speak for most people when stating that the optics of this entire mess have been terrible.
An explanatory video would certainly have helped. If only he a working camera and encoder... :whistle:

or a phone and a tik tok
I don't know, he's been having a run of bad luck. Maybe the dinosaur at the theme park ate his phone. Seriously though, tik tok serves an entirely different demographic and it will probably help the business if this disastrous launch is mentioned as little as possible on that platform.

This was a statement I was trying to put off, but it is with great sadness we are announcing the closure of Seen on TV.

When I and our small team set out our vision for this channel it was based on fulfilling a gap in the market with a loyal customer base looking for branded items at excellent prices. We also just wanted to have fun doing what we loved most.

We achieved this goal in launching Seen on TV, but sadly financial and technical restraints out of our control have led to its closure.

The technical issues were so severe, the cost to fix them are just too high to responsibly carry on and we have had to call in external help and there are still ongoing investigations.

All outstanding orders have been fulfilled and all of our amazing and hardworking staff members will be paid.

I am beyond devastated the channel has been forced to shut and would like to say a heartfelt thank you everyone who was a part of the business and worked tirelessly with us over the last few months.

Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive and wanted the channel to continue. I am glad in the week we were live, we were able to put a smile on your faces and entertain you.

Simon

What in your opinion was the main downfall of Ideal World? I heard stories the owner was pocketing the profits and not putting any money back into the business, yet I doubt it will have been making much money, if any, selling most items for between £10 and £30 cheaper than any other marketplace. I used to make purchases quite often, and would always check to see if I could find a cheaper one elsewhere before making the purchase.
It feels inappropriate replying to this at the moment given that it feels like the death of a family friend has just been announced. However, I'll be brief: There were many, many things wrong. But if you ask me, the final nail in the coffin was letting Aurelius get hold of it. As soon as the announcement was made we all knew roughly how it was going to go having seen what happened to Bid, and go it did. As an example they sold our prime Freeview channel to TJC and pocketed half the proceeds into their own company - we're talking £millions. They charge a 'management fee' for the businesses they run, presumably as insurance against underperformance.

If I remember correctly the business lost £6m in 2022 under Hamish but the damage was already done (and he wasn't exactly repairing it, as we know). But that is another story.

How did your friend know that you were the Muriel that Peter was referring to? And its a co-incidence that your friend reads this forum.

Edit - Dr Quincy MkIi, just seen you asked a similar question, great minds think alike.

That's exactly what Peter would say. If Peter were pretending to be a member of the public.

This was a statement I was trying to put off, but it is with great sadness we are announcing the closure of Seen on TV.

When I and our small team set out our vision for this channel it was based on fulfilling a gap in the market with a loyal customer base looking for branded items at excellent prices. We also just wanted to have fun doing what we loved most.

We achieved this goal in launching Seen on TV, but sadly financial and technical restraints out of our control have led to its closure.

The technical issues were so severe, the cost to fix them are just too high to responsibly carry on and we have had to call in external help and there are still ongoing investigations.

All outstanding orders have been fulfilled and all of our amazing and hardworking staff members will be paid.

I am beyond devastated the channel has been forced to shut and would like to say a heartfelt thank you everyone who was a part of the business and worked tirelessly with us over the last few months.

Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive and wanted the channel to continue. I am glad in the week we were live, we were able to put a smile on your faces and entertain you.

Simon
Simon this is the statement we have been waiting for (and not looking forward to) because what little we saw was good shopping telly. Just my opinion but many on this forum were rooting for you. But also head scratching at how it has all been handled. Coming forth sooner might have saved a lot of stress. We've all commented a lot on here over the last few days, so I'm not going add anything new. I hope those involved are able to find gainful employment moving forward. Good luck to you all.

Sad to hear the unfortunate news of the demise of Seen on TV.
I almost plumped (geddit) for the Laura Ashley pillows set, the HB airfryer, a genuinely good deal, and the pineapple corer, ok not the latter, but the separate line item p&p were prohibitive.
Good luck to all in their future endeavours.

What has been interesting to learn is the type of broadcast technology being used these days. The NDI standards technologies for video broadcast that an Insider mentioned.

And the good quality people and relationships, in the main, that appear to exist within the shopping tv community. Hopefully you can all do something successful in future to renew, reinvigorate and succeed with an innovative, new, successful TV shopping related format. 👍

Could one of the technical issues have been a plug falling out, The lack of duct tape, Cable management issues or someone tripping over a cable?
As they have clear links to other shoppingtelly channels I'd have hoped create and crap could have supplied tape, QVC some of those Velcro cable tidy things, IW3 a 20 extension lead with bonus USB sockets..
That said the studio set looks very professional, Maybe IW3 could move in and get them out of the shabby corner of the broom cupboard?
1719660688807.png

Sad to hear the unfortunate news of the demise of Seen on TV.
I almost plumped (geddit) for the Laura Ashley pillows set, the HB airfryer, a genuinely good deal, and the pineapple corer, ok not the latter, but the separate line item p&p were prohibitive.
Good luck to all in their future endeavours.

What has been interesting to learn is the type of broadcast technology being used these days. The NDI standards technologies for video broadcast that an Insider mentioned.

And the good quality people and relationships, in the main, that appear to exist within the shopping tv community. Hopefully you can all do something successful in future to renew, reinvigorate and succeed with an innovative, new, successful TV shopping related format. 👍
NDI is becoming much more commonplace in the industry. It's not as rugged as SMPTE2110 in my opinion but definitely has its uses, especially in lower cost situations.

The Create and Craft USA studio (second incarnation) was run entirely on it.

I just finished reading the Facebook page. There are a couple of individuals who claim to know the true reason for the channel being forced off the air. To make that statement is bold. I don't believe these two people have any knowledge beyond what has already been stated. If there were unknown forces that caused the channel to stop broadcasting, this has piqued my interest.

I just finished reading the Facebook page. There are a couple of individuals who claim to know the true reason for the channel being forced off the air. To make that statement is bold. I don't believe these two people have any knowledge beyond what has already been stated. If there were unknown forces that caused the channel to stop broadcasting, this has piqued my interest.
I know Simon said there were still investgations going on

I know Simon said there were still investgations going on
I have found someone who has let the cat out of the bag in a message. I get the impression they think that others outside the company did not want them to succeed! This hints at possible sabobatge or foul-play to me. Yeah, QVC and TJC/IW will have been quaking in thier boots and had to put a stop to it before it was allowed to pick up any momentum. That is said Peter Simon style, tongue firmly inside my cheek.

Latest posts

Back