Random Musings and Critiques Etc.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Tim used to try and give a proper and in-turn of benefit demonstrations of what he sold. He also had class technical experts like Keith Tomlin to support him. Nothing like that buff…bloke Lee who replaced him but didn’t. Alan Ennis fiddling about with some plastic pot for two hours is not for the living to endure.

I wonder how it’s doing? Its problem for me is the time it goes to air. By design it alienates potential buyers who aren’t insomniacs. Unless they use catch-up options they just won’t see it or even be aware it exists at all. Very few posts on here in recent weeks either. Being honest, from what I have seen - far long on just one or two products and not particularly inspiring ones either. It’s a pity, because a good presentational framework is in place. But when you see that actor/watch expert for Swan & Edgar and the usual guff about the firm connections between Chinese made watches and a department store that closed in 1982, you realise it is not the sweet smell of a new dawn for shopping television you hoped it would be.

I bought the GX pillows and they finally arrived. I have to say I think (fingers crossed) they are doing the trick. I was on the market for new pillows and the ones I've bought thus far have been crap.
I bought GX Pillows for the old Ideal World. Then a couple of weeks later, a new, improved version came to the air. The ones you possess are these. Generally, I find them satisfactory, but occasionally, I feel the inner suspension on the back of my head, which is quite unpleasant.

I bought GX Pillows for the old Ideal World. Then a couple of weeks later, a new, improved version came to the air. The ones you possess are these. Generally, I find them satisfactory, but occasionally, I feel the inner suspension on the back of my head, which is quite unpleasant.
yeah the only issue is having to remember to flip the pillows each night

Unfortunately it is pretty much unwatchable in several senses - Crawley and his oppo are never good television, Locke is a very good presenter but the You Tube previous feeds with him seem to feature drone after drone with that annoying little loud guy behaving like an elderly kid. Repetitive products night after night is not a great way to spend the small hours for anyone. Chinese made Swan & Edgar watches being sold as a heritage brand once again. They promised change and that ain’t change.

Blimey. It’s like getting a divorce after a miserable marriage and waking up and finding you never got divorced and you are back in the same miserable marriage again. Creepy and Super-Great selling Polti with Auntie Bev..

Twice last night, I tuned in. The first time Bev was demonstrating an Optimus 3 steam cleaning system, the second time she was demonstrating the Polti Vaporella iron. For a few seconds, I recalled the past. It was like watching the old Ideal World.

Twice last night, I tuned in. The first time Bev was demonstrating an Optimus 3 steam cleaning system, the second time she was demonstrating the Polti Vaporella iron. For a few seconds, I recalled the past. It was like watching the old Ideal World.
Is it just me that thinks £129 for a steam iron, no matter how big the reservoir, or powerful the steam temp, is way overpriced?

This channel is terrible. I get it's only on air for a short time, but does that really mean you can only sell one or two items in that time? On Saturday morning, they were selling cheap Accurist and Sekonda watches, and this morning Alan Ennis was on with heating solutions. I think Shop Extra made a mistake by ending. It could have easily held its own against the cheap tat Ideal World mostly sells.

Is it just me that thinks £129 for a steam iron, no matter how big the reservoir, or powerful the steam temp, is way overpriced?
She was selling a
Yeah, that does seem expensive, especially when she was selling a Polti Vaporella steam iron on Create & Craft for £79.99 yesterday. I cannot confirm whether it was the identical one she was selling for £129.99 on Shop on TV.

She was selling a

Yeah, that does seem expensive, especially when she was selling a Polti Vaporella steam iron on Create & Craft for £79.99 yesterday. I cannot confirm whether it was the identical one she was selling for £129.99 on Shop on TV.

In Shop on TV's defence (this is more of a general reply to the thread than you specifically) re: prices

1) They're paying to be on ITV, which isn't cheap. Given the substantially larger viewer base, potentially more lucrative (we know from tidbits shared in the past that IW (mk2) could sometimes make more sales in an ITV show than the entire day on the main channel) but they have costs to recoup. Obviously their business plan shows that's possible - and hopefully sooner rather than later - but…

2) Shop On TV is effectively a startup, and aren't (as far as I'm aware) tied to an existing shopping TV channel with years and years of "clout/brand recognition" behind them to help in negotiating sales or provide them with existing stock; they don't have a warehouse (which potentially means lower costs, but passes some of the burden on to the product makers, which increases their costs, hence higher on-air prices), and can't currently afford to bring things to air that make them next to nothing.

3) In addition to paying for an ITV contract they've had to pay to rent a studio, build a set, buy equipment, hire presenters and guest presents (cheap as though a few of their choices likely are 😂), and production staff. Shop Extra and IW (mk3) were side-hustles by existing channels able to re-use equipment, staff, studio space, etc.

tl;dr: Shop on TV can't compete on prices with the multi-million pound, long-standing Shopping TV channels yet, same way a new independent grocer can't compete with TESCO (not a direct comparison). If Shop on TV does well that'll change.

In Shop on TV's defence (this is more of a general reply to the thread than you specifically) re: prices

1) They're paying to be on ITV, which isn't cheap. Given the substantially larger viewer base, potentially more lucrative (we know from tidbits shared in the past that IW (mk2) could sometimes make more sales in an ITV show than the entire day on the main channel) but they have costs to recoup. Obviously their business plan shows that's possible - and hopefully sooner rather than later - but…

2) Shop On TV is effectively a startup, and aren't (as far as I'm aware) tied to an existing shopping TV channel with years and years of "clout/brand recognition" behind them to help in negotiating sales or provide them with existing stock; they don't have a warehouse (which potentially means lower costs, but passes some of the burden on to the product makers, which increases their costs, hence higher on-air prices), and can't currently afford to bring things to air that make them next to nothing.

3) In addition to paying for an ITV contract they've had to pay to rent a studio, build a set, buy equipment, hire presenters and guest presents (cheap as though a few of their choices likely are 😂), and production staff. Shop Extra and IW (mk3) were side-hustles by existing channels able to re-use equipment, staff, studio space, etc.

tl;dr: Shop on TV can't compete on prices with the multi-million pound, long-standing Shopping TV channels yet, same way a new independent grocer can't compete with TESCO (not a direct comparison). If Shop on TV does well that'll change.
Rob said it is a joint venture with ITV, meaning ITV own half of it or at least a substantial amount

Rob said it is a joint venture with ITV, meaning ITV own half of it or at least a substantial amount

Oh, well - I stand corrected then. If ITV is involved, they should be pretty cushy then! No reason why they shouldn't be more competitive with prices or have a much better selection of items.

Here I was thinking Shop on TV was an underdog outfit bootstrapping with minimal resources! David vs Goliath etc 😳

"We're a joint venture with ITV" will carry a lot more weight then "we're owned by Hochanda, so give us a good deal".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back