Qurio - a socially interesting documentary!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The reviewers could save Q a job. Imagine the Kipling pockets and flaps tours you could get into?
I'd like to think if a buyer did a thorough review it would shame Q into doing better... but while they constantly try to do social media, they have consistently neglected their website.
They need to buck their ideas up, and invest in a 21st century warehouse management system if they want to drive sales via social media as well as telly. The half-baked system they have got is inadequate for the intended purpose.
I totally agree!
Don’t be silly this is QVC high postage charges,convoluted and impossible difficult returns process.
Products sent out to customers used,and some daft enough not to return them.
Presenters hardly capable of giving out proper descriptions of products.
So called Z listers given their own brands to front,often expensive and variable in quality.
Qurio just a place to round up the shopaholics in one place,to dazzle each other with bull***t and encourage overspending.
Charmless tat sellers with a barrow boy mentality,if there not selling it’s all about themselves or there latest book,dinosaurs all of them and you know what happened to the dinosaurs 🦕
Agree with that too. It might've started off well for them but the shopaholics have pretty much burned themselves out now. Whilst they initially whipped up a spending frenzy, I'm sure in the process they managed to deter as many people, if not more! - they have me, that's for sure.

QVC uk seriously need a board meeting where somebody needs to admit that Qurio is selling a nightmare, not a dream. They're not seeing Q's products tastefully placed around people's homes, they're seeing clutter, chaos, humping dogs and of course people who clearly need help! If they're to make it a half decent platform, they need to restructure it, and inject into it some ethics. Like MML said put a bit more energy into the website.

Yay! She's back, and back saying what we've all been saying. That she's stopped wasting her money on buying crap she doesn't want just 'cause it's on clearance ! Mmm, we'll see. Looks like she's really happy with what she's bought and for once it does appear that she's bagged herself a bargain.

Okay, the Shay & Blue complaint.

I have amassed 33,000 “loyalty” points which you used to be able to spend in 500 = £5, 1000 = £10 and so on up to 2500 = £25. Shay & Blue have removed most of the redeemable options leaving only the 500 = £5 and 1000 = £10 options. It would now mean that I would have to make 33 transactions to use my points spending upwards of £2000 for perfume. They have also added high minimum order levels to use the points, conveniently £5 higher that the 100ml perfume cost. They gave no notice of the change via email and haven’t done so on their website either so people like myself now have a bunch of points that are effectively useless. If they had made changes and notified customers of an upcoming change then fair enough but they didn’t. They just did it and hoped no one would notice.

I didn't even know they had a loyalty programme?

Okay, the Shay & Blue complaint.

I have amassed 33,000 “loyalty” points which you used to be able to spend in 500 = £5, 1000 = £10 and so on up to 2500 = £25. Shay & Blue have removed most of the redeemable options leaving only the 500 = £5 and 1000 = £10 options. It would now mean that I would have to make 33 transactions to use my points spending upwards of £2000 for perfume. They have also added high minimum order levels to use the points, conveniently £5 higher that the 100ml perfume cost. They gave no notice of the change via email and haven’t done so on their website either so people like myself now have a bunch of points that are effectively useless. If they had made changes and notified customers of an upcoming change then fair enough but they didn’t. They just did it and hoped no one would notice.

I didn't even know they had a loyalty programme?
They could have withdrawn it entirely!
I bet the small print allows them to make arbitrary and short-notice changes to the scheme.
Do you spend only to earn the points, or is it a nice extra?

Yay! She's back, and back saying what we've all been saying. That she's stopped wasting her money on buying crap she doesn't want just 'cause it's on clearance ! Mmm, we'll see. Looks like she's really happy with what she's bought and for once it does appear that she's bagged herself a bargain.
Lola’s back and finally talking sense👍

I`ve never read the Qurio group because I don`t do apps but last night I watched the Tonight programme on ITV which was all about people getting into problems with buy now pay later options on websites such as Klarna, Paypal pay in 3, Clearpay etc. Every person interviewed had got into problems with buy now pay later whilst buying clothes.
It was an eye opener and by the sound of it, some of those people on Qurio fit the bill.
Worth watching on catch up if anybody`s interested.

Last edited:
It’s cold and calculated from QVC tat sellers Delboy is the worst.
While your buying a Ninja Air Fryer on easy payments,why not pop a Dyson Straightener in your basket at the same time all on easy payments.
Yeah delboy your definitely number one for BS.

I`ve never read the Qurio group because I don`t do apps but last night I watched the Tonight programme on ITV which was all about people getting into problems with buy now pay later options on websites such as Klarna, Paypal pay in 3, Clearpay etc. Every person interviewed had got into problems with buy now pay later whilst buying clothes.
It was an eye opener and by the sound of it, some of those people on Qurio fit the bill.
Worth watching on catch up if anybody`s interested.
Yes I caught a bit of that last night but wasn't really concentrating. I caught the bit about how they were saying that the consequences of not keeping up payments should be highlighted better, ie how it would affect ones credit score, (at a young age, this is something I'd not even consider, let alone care about) and lead to debt collectors knocking on the door. I might actually watch it on catch up properly.
I'm glad that these weren't around when I was younger as I'm sure I'd have got myself into a lot more trouble than I did. I remember a mate of mine, who used to run up all manner of debt through catalogues and store cards, saying that it's worth letting it go that far because the debt collectors will only take what you can afford in repayment. Not a risk I was prepared to take nonetheless, but I did eventually max out a couple of storecards and the payback was an extremely long and boring road.
What was worse about store cards is that they'd allow you to spend hundreds of pounds in one go without having to part with a single penny on the day - then a whole month later, you'd get a statement with a minimum payment, which was probably equivalent to just one of the garments you'd "bought", obviously you could pay more. I didn't, despite being charged the equivalent of another garment in interest. I didn't earn much in those days, as it was my first proper job. Saving up for stuff wasn't an option because at that age, fashion mattered and you wanted stuff there and then! Looking back, I think I must've paid at least three times the price of the things I bought.
Coincidentally both my ex husband and my husband had Burton store cards, and I could never understand why as neither of them would've particularly struggled to pay outright - both of them admitted it was pure laziness. Men don't enjoy shopping so the store card ties them to one retailer, they don't have to think about where to shop, how much they're spending and Burton being a men's clothier not full of families with screaming kids, young teens looking for fashion. Both of them had set up direct debits to pay and it was a case of buy it, f*ck it and forget it! Eventually I managed to persuade both of them to actually read their statements and see how much extra they're being charged. It took both of them a long time to pay their Burton cards off because it was a case of one step forward and two steps back. I think the interest rate was about 40% - Appalling and so unnecessary!
Tying this in with Q, they maybe using EZ pays, but if they're paying on a credit card then they're paying interest on top of already overpriced goods!

I’m involved with a finance forum and it would astound you the career some people make out of switching credit cards and transferring balances.

All these things are ok I suppose if you are really really on the ball with time limits as they make their money big time once you exceed the ”free” period.

If you look at the interest rates, especially with the less established high street names, it is mind blowing the interest rates in tiny print! Really loan sharks in sheep’s clothing.

All the retailers are becoming a bit more tricky. I have got my monthly catalogue bill down to a pretty manageable amount, and with large/multiple purchases I put them onto bnpl. This works for me as depending upon the spend it allows you 6, 9 or 12 months to repay without interest, just so long as it's all paid when the time has elapsed, you can pay what you want, when you want and it works really well for me. If I want to buy something small, and the catalogue's got it for a decent price, then I'll pay for it outright.
I saw something I wanted to buy for OH's birthday which is coming up soon, but the cost of the item fell short of the spend to qualify for 6mths bnpl. At £60 I can't really afford to pay outright this month, so I decided I'd simply add it to my account, which I thought would add a couple of quid to my monthly payments, and that I'd barely notice the difference - Wrong! Things have changed and now these purchases have been automatically split up into 3 interest free payments. This means my next three payments will be £20 more expensive, and I will notice that.....grrr!

Going off piste slightly, I was horrified to catch a bit of the BBC1 programme Rip Off Britain (?) with Angela Rippon this morning. A man had clicked on a link he saw on Facebook suggesting it was a way to check if you'd claimed enough marriage allowance, it is where you can transfer unused tax allowances between spouses. He hadn't, but in checking he had unwittingly signed up to a company who now permanently handle his tax on his behalf, I think they took about 50% of his wife's rebate and he ended up with a tax bill ! I think they were £500 out of pocket. Once the 14 days cooling off period ends, there's no way of cancelling, but of course he hadn't read the Ts and Cs. HMRC wouldn't get involved as he had signed up, the only way to cancel was to ask the company but they won't cancel. I think there may have been others mentioned on the programme, I was only passing by the TV so apologies I don't have the whole story.

exarctly the same with subcontractors tax refunds which are much larger.

The worrying thing is that these companies tell you they can get you big refunds going back 4 years so people sign up even though they know i their heart that they wouldn’t be due anything but these companies submit bogus claims, get the refunds, deduct their fee and pass the balance on. Problem is when HMRC decide to open an enquiry and you have to pay it back it’s the full amount plus penalties they want repaid, which is much more than you got in your bank. Personally in these cases of pure greed, I have no sympathy, but the marriage allowance is at least a genuine claim.

Latest posts

Back