Postal Charges

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
I know it was mentioned on here that Royal Fail were putting their charges up, yet again. I've just been stung for £8 to return an item that wasn't suitable. While I was in the post office, the lady behind the counter said that she'd seen "loads", in her words, of customer who had QVC or other TV shopping channel parcels that they wanted to return and decided not to because of the cost. She added that most of those people had said they'd either not bother ordering again or would be more careful about what they bought to avoid paying through the nose if they had to send it back. Given this, why is it that QVC still seem dead set on keeping high P&P charges at the point of purchase and not having a free returns service. Even if it meant changing the terms of the 30dayMBG so that you couldn't wear or use items so much. That would also help with returned items being sent back out in a poor condition. We all know that so many other website have cheaper P&P, or free over a certain value, with free or subsidised returns. Fine, you can't return an opened product but I'm sure most people wouldn't worry if they were getting it a lot cheaper. It completely baffles me that common sense doesn't seem to apply.

Last edited:
The charges have gone up but in a strange way. Heavier things are a lot more but lighter items don't seem to have changed as long as they are 'medium' sized. ie my Ronni Nicole dress that I sent back yesterday which was around £2.80 2nd class. A 2kg shoebox size (or bigger) has gone up a lot. You can now send this size 2nd class which is about £9! I send a lot with ebay and use Collect Plus courier service from the corner shop at the end of my road. Unfortunately QVC returns are a PO box address which couriers don't deliver to therefore giving RM the monopoly!
BTW, anyone returning clothes for a different size you don't have to pay a second p&p charge for them to send out the replacement.

It's worth studying the new postal rates (the leaflet is easier to follow than the website imho) for instance if you can roll an item into a cylinder or fold into a small cube (smaller than prescribed dimensions) it can alter the postal charge. If it creases the garment that's QVC's problem, they'll have to press it before it's resold (as if that's going to happen).

I know I'm like a broken record but it's worth asking the PO to quote you for special delivery (sometimes the same price as a parcel but quicker and more secure) or Parcelforce Consignment for 3 or more parcels going to the same address...my personal best was 8 parcels sent to QVC this way for £12, delivered in 48 hours, insured and fully trackable.

Well done to Ideal World who give an option to add a Collect+ label for a small extra cost at checkout (as do many online shops these days). It takes some of the risk of high return postage away from online shopping. It wouldn't need a complete overhaul of the QVC system to add this service, but they choose not to!

Jude xx

I returned a Laura Geller balance and brighten last week and it cost £2.70 second class to return. I said 'how much?' to the woman at the post office - but she didn't seem to be that bothered, guess because she wasn't paying. I will definitely be more careful in my purchases in the future - mind you I am finding it hard to get excited about much on QVC lately so that shouldn't be a problem.

I guess the woman in the PO is used to that kind of reaction!!! I doubt shes bothered what people pay,she doesn't set the charges

The secret with something like B&B is to put it in an ordinary manila envelope to return it (ie no padding) then it's thin enough to be classed as a large letter. It may not arrive intact but that's not your problem, QVC will still refund. It would be about £1.79 2nd class signed for as a Large Letter. If my local little Post Office were to close I'd stop buying mail order and give up selling on ebay because they always tell me the cheapest or the best postage for my needs. Even though QVC state that items be returned in original packaging I'd ditch a box for a padded envelope or plastic mail sack if it saves on postage, the jump in postage from small to medium parcel is better off on my pocket than royal mail's!

Jude xx

I guess the woman in the PO is used to that kind of reaction!!! I doubt shes bothered what people pay,she doesn't set the charges

No she certainly didn't look bothered - I will try Akimbo's ideas in future - postage is just getting silly.

If you are returning under the distance selling regulations then QVC have to pay any postal fees back to you.

it's only if it's under their 30 dat money back offer where you would need to pay

I don't think the return postage is refunded under the DSR so the cheaper the postage the better!

Jude xx

I am sending back a faulty item with a pre-paid label and it says to get insurance? Can you do that without paying for recorded delivery ect?

You do not need insurance, just proof of sending it, which you can get from the PO for free. I think they mean proof that you have send it

To clarify...

DSRs mean you get original postage refunded - you pay to send it back and you can't have used it at all. They were created so that you can see the item in real life like you would if buying from a shop.

The back of your QVC receipt gives details re returning... If over 4kg they'll send the courier to collect and that won't cost you a penny. It tells you how much the item weighs on the slip too. It tells you to get a proof of posting (which is free) when you send it back. It says if your item is worth £200+ it has to be signed for and insured which means you must send it special delivery which costs about £6 more than the regular 1st class price but insures the item.
Now that Royal Mail has made changes a proof of posting only covers up to £20 in insurance and signed for (recorded) covers up to £50. Neither of these insure jewellery by the way! However, don't worry about this if you are sending to QVC as providing the item is under £200 (most of all of our purchases) you only need to get a proof of posting which is free. As long as you follow their instructions then if it goes missing they are liable! I think we need to keep an eye on this information on the receipt though as they may change it! And make sure you don't lose your proof of posting receipts!

They used to ask you to forward the PO receipt for the top-up recorded/special delivery costs on top of the return label (if Q were paying the return postage) and then they'd return the cost to you as a cheque (about 65p). It's been years since I did this, so may not still apply. Feeling impish I asked the CS person who would pay for the postage costs of sending the PO receipt but she didn't see the funny side at all!

Jude xx

It's worth studying the new postal rates (the leaflet is easier to follow than the website imho) for instance if you can roll an item into a cylinder or fold into a small cube (smaller than prescribed dimensions) it can alter the postal charge. If it creases the garment that's QVC's problem, they'll have to press it before it's resold (as if that's going to happen).

I know I'm like a broken record but it's worth asking the PO to quote you for special delivery (sometimes the same price as a parcel but quicker and more secure) or Parcelforce Consignment for 3 or more parcels going to the same address...my personal best was 8 parcels sent to QVC this way for £12, delivered in 48 hours, insured and fully trackable.

Well done to Ideal World who give an option to add a Collect+ label for a small extra cost at checkout (as do many online shops these days). It takes some of the risk of high return postage away from online shopping. It wouldn't need a complete overhaul of the QVC system to add this service, but they choose not to!

Jude xx

Did you get leaflet from Post Office? Only leaflet Post Office here has is one "our parcel services" but no prices stated and the bit about sizes is a tiny bit at back!

If you are returning under the distance selling regulations then QVC have to pay any postal fees back to you.

it's only if it's under their 30 dat money back offer where you would need to pay

I didn't know that. thanks so much, will do that in future. I hardly ever return stuff in its original packing, always use a jiffy bag.

So fed up with it all. Returned a kipling bag first class recorded on Monday, still not showing as returned. will give it a couple more days before I send them an email.

as someone has just said, QVC completely resistible now, but still, they seem to be raking it in. virtually nothing I would like to buy, the fashion - well, there are no words to describe. I quite like today's TSV of the microfibre cloths, but am certainly not going to buy TWENTY! that is just ridiculous. will look for them in pound shop.

I just cannot understand their attitude re postage and returns when Amazon do such a superb job. If I had bought the bag from them the money would be baack in my account by now. It is ridiculous Catherine saying that some companies do not charge postage but it is a hidden cost. quite often their post free items are cheaper than QVC's. think they live in a time warp.

If you are returning under DSRs you have to email them now. They won't accept a phone call to CS anymore. [email protected]
Also, I often find that when I check the refund to my bank account they haven't included the p&p and then I have to phone up to chase it.

Latest posts

Back