Postal Charges

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This is not particularly about QVC's P&P but postage in general. At Christmas I sent a few Christmas cards to friends in America. The postage for my cards came to £1.28 each. So I double-checked postage costs online this morning to find that the same type of card (weight) will cost £3.50. That is a shock. If I am looking at the correct price, that has pretty much doubled in postage. Maybe I'll find out that I was looking at the wrong place on the website once I get to the PO, but I doubt it. Rises in cost/prices do eventually cause people to evaluate how they spend their money and how much. I know that the last couple of postage rises have made me consider even more carefully how I make purchases and what I buy ... do I really need this item or simply like it? Would I buy this were I in a shop and if the answer is no, I'd put it down and go on, then I have my answer.

I do have to say I think these PO charges will be the death of the Christmas Card.

I love cards but every year,for whatever occasion,I do notice I'm sending less and less.Cards are so cheap now,I don't really notice the price of sending them,as they're done periodically through the year - Christmas, when lots of cards are sent at once, is when people will notice it,as you have AR.

Last year I noticed a big decline in the amount of Christmas cards I received (maybe I'm not that polpular??!!) and even a couple of my colleagues didn't send at all,and gave the money they would have spent to charity.

Not only because I class the cards as part of my decorations at christmas time (up the hall banisters...#verynice) but it will be a shame to see them decline so much that they will disappear eventually.

We lived and worked in America in the mid 70's so have several friends out there. I thought the postage to send cards for this last Christmas was bad enough but it really will make me think twice now especially if the figure you have quoted of £3.50 is correct AR! This is just utter greed from RM and I feel so sorry for anyone with family living abroad when it's necessary to send birthday cards, presents, etc. People take great pleasure in boxing up some goodies to send to their loved ones but it seems RM just don't want the business from general householders any more. Can't understand why they've abandoned the Standard Parcel rate either which I think is another indication of fleecing the general public!

The bottom will drop out of the foam squares market as card makers can't sell their home matted & layered cards because the postage is so high!

Jude xx

At the opposite extreme I've just posted a Radley handbag (within the UK) Special Delivery, medium parcel under the new classifications with insurance for £100 for £8.70. Stll a lot of money but it's fully trackable and should arrive tomorrow morning. That seems better value than for a 15ml bottle of aromessence!

My local post office staff reckon they're going to withdraw the small cube and cylinder shape because no one has any idea how to measure the cylinder. These changes were clearly the invention of someone who has never worked in a busy post office, or ever sent a parcel!

Jude xx

To clarify...

DSRs mean you get original postage refunded - you pay to send it back and you can't have used it at all. They were created so that you can see the item in real life like you would if buying from a shop.

The back of your QVC receipt gives details re returning... If over 4kg they'll send the courier to collect and that won't cost you a penny. It tells you how much the item weighs on the slip too. It tells you to get a proof of posting (which is free) when you send it back. It says if your item is worth £200+ it has to be signed for and insured which means you must send it special delivery which costs about £6 more than the regular 1st class price but insures the item.
Now that Royal Mail has made changes a proof of posting only covers up to £20 in insurance and signed for (recorded) covers up to £50. Neither of these insure jewellery by the way! However, don't worry about this if you are sending to QVC as providing the item is under £200 (most of all of our purchases) you only need to get a proof of posting which is free. As long as you follow their instructions then if it goes missing they are liable! I think we need to keep an eye on this information on the receipt though as they may change it! And make sure you don't lose your proof of posting receipts!
I need to send a ring back that cost over £200, the P&P was approx £4, if I send it back then surely it will then cost me more P&P than QVC charged me! and as you say will only cover me for £20, sound as if I could take a gamble and send it my normal 1st class post. Dont want to tempt fate, but nothing I have returned has gone astray yet!

I posted an. Aromessence . Oil to a friend today :)

Anybody want to hazard a guess?

Well it would be too "fat" to go through that letterbox thingy (the one that is only half the width of any normal letterbox)

So unboxed but bubble wrapped £2.80

boxed almost £6.

Just a guess

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

I need to send a ring back that cost over £200, the P&P was approx £4, if I send it back then surely it will then cost me more P&P than QVC charged me! and as you say will only cover me for £20, sound as if I could take a gamble and send it my normal 1st class post. Dont want to tempt fate, but nothing I have returned has gone astray yet!

I wouldn't risk it. I'd send it special delivery as that is what they tell you to do so if it does go missing you've got no comeback.

I posted an item off yesterday and it cost me £9.10, I was horrified as three weeks ago (before the increases) the very same parcel would have cost £5.30!!!! £5.30 to £9.10 for the same thing is an absolute rip off. Royal Mail are going to lose so much business can't they see that.

Regards QVC perhaps they are smugly thinking that people will keep items rather than pay returns postage, therefore increasing their coffers. But for me, I just won't order!

Gah, I hate to annoy people but, if the documents from QVC say you have to insure an item and you dont and it goes missing, then that is your fault. Same with sending jewellery back, recorded delivery does not cover jewellery at all. We all bitch when QVC do something against the rules and it annoys me a little that people do think they are above the rules :( It may not seem fair to have to pay for insurance of an item, but if it states you have to do that, then you have to do that. Also, as for claiming when things get lost.... good luck! The royal mail want proof of what was IN the parcel, reciepts etc. How you prove what was in a parcel is beyond me....

Latest posts

Back