More sneakiness?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

TheManWithNoName

Registered Shopper
So, on Tuesday night, Hattie was supposed to have had a Kimbie hour straight after the Visage show with Kati Elliott.

She put a "Kimbie Home Nautical Candle" and a "Kimbie Home Nautical Diffuser with Ship Wheel Charm" on pre-order fairly early on (around 8pm I believe) - so people were able to pre-order it.

However, it never made it to being shown live on the show because Kati decided to stay on for an extra hour, and then Hattie took 50 minutes waffling about a candle!

Hattie said "Unfortunately, we're running out of time - so we'll bring you the Kimbie Home Nautical Diffuser with Ship Wheel Charm on Friday night instead" - however, the people that had ordered it on pre-order did have the price lowered to £12.99.

Today comes. What does Ellis have on her show? Yep, the "Kimbie Home Nautical Diffuser with Ship Wheel Charm".

Ellis said "We couldn't bring this to you on Tuesday night because of a technical glitch during Hattie's show" (there was no "technical glitch" - Kati decided to stay on for longer, and Hattie couldn't shut up - so they ran out of time).

Today, it sold for.......................... £9.99p - a £3 difference in less than 48 hours.

Now, it doesn't look like it's going to be on tomorrow night after all because at the time Hattie said she would have it on her show, she has Mariusz and Yianni on her show.

That means that anyone that is tuning in to see it tomorrow, won't see it - and they'll have missed it on todays show too because it wasn't due to be on. Therefore, those that bought it on Tuesday night will have missed out on claiming £3 back through a price promise.

It makes you wonder whether it was done deliberately............

So, on Tuesday night, Hattie was supposed to have had a Kimbie hour straight after the Visage show with Kati Elliott.

She put a "Kimbie Home Nautical Candle" and a "Kimbie Home Nautical Diffuser with Ship Wheel Charm" on pre-order fairly early on (around 8pm I believe) - so people were able to pre-order it.

However, it never made it to being shown live on the show because Kati decided to stay on for an extra hour, and then Hattie took 50 minutes waffling about a candle!

Hattie said "Unfortunately, we're running out of time - so we'll bring you the Kimbie Home Nautical Diffuser with Ship Wheel Charm on Friday night instead" - however, the people that had ordered it on pre-order did have the price lowered to £12.99.

Today comes. What does Ellis have on her show? Yep, the "Kimbie Home Nautical Diffuser with Ship Wheel Charm".

Ellis said "We couldn't bring this to you on Tuesday night because of a technical glitch during Hattie's show" (there was no "technical glitch" - Kati decided to stay on for longer, and Hattie couldn't shut up - so they ran out of time).

Today, it sold for.......................... £9.99p - a £3 difference in less than 48 hours.

Now, it doesn't look like it's going to be on tomorrow night after all because at the time Hattie said she would have it on her show, she has Mariusz and Yianni on her show.

That means that anyone that is tuning in to see it tomorrow, won't see it - and they'll have missed it on todays show too because it wasn't due to be on. Therefore, those that bought it on Tuesday night will have missed out on claiming £3 back through a price promise.

It makes you wonder whether it was done deliberately............
As Jess would say: absolutely!

I know this isn't quite the right post to ask, but cba to start a thread for one comment. Soooo. When does 'inspired by' become, 'it's really a copy of' Thinking the cloverleaf (van cleef) as one thing, but not really just that.

I know this isn't quite the right post to ask, but cba to start a thread for one comment. Soooo. When does 'inspired by' become, 'it's really a copy of' Thinking the cloverleaf (van cleef) as one thing, but not really just that.
Not my area of expertise at all but no easy answer.

You can get some initial protection under IP regulations but these are time-limited, even designs produced under licence like the Lehrer and Wobito cuts. The Van Cleef & Arpels design, which you're referring to, was launched 54 years ago, was itself inspired by Moor architecture from roughly 800 years ago and the four leaf clover-type motif exists in Victorian churches across the UK in stoneworks, pews and rood screens.

"Inspired by", rather than "a copy of", is probably good enough for a symbol that has been around for that long. (Heck, I've even heard someone say that, after Mozart, there has been very little truly original music composition!)

Its another meaningless terms that selly-telly channels use.

The one that annoys me is 'Designer inspired'.

It's meaningless. Anyone that designs as a professional is a 'designer'.

It's clear what they're trying to imply - they're trying to imply it's 'similar to' a design by a well known designer, but in reality, it's probably been designed by Freelance Freeda in the spare room of her 3 bedroomed semi in Croydon.

Hattie yammering on about the blue baroques. Fine but constantly referring to the Sea of Cortez and the Paua Iris blue...ok...and this strand has an origin of...
Screenshot_2024-06-16-19-14-14-902.jpeg

I haven't watched for a while now because of the way things are being done - too much DT/Jade, long winded lectures from all of their 'guest' presenters, etc. But I decided to take a look this morning and Poppy is on with a last chance diamonds wheel. I noticed they've changed the layout on the 'more details' section of the pieces they are showing. They always used to tell you the clarity of the diamonds (usually I3) but now there's no clarity shown? Has this come about because too many people are questioning the value(?) and rarity (?) of their diamonds especially as they're always telling us to check on the internet and see for ourselves what's out there. Just more sneakiness.

I haven't watched for a while now because of the way things are being done - too much DT/Jade, long winded lectures from all of their 'guest' presenters, etc. But I decided to take a look this morning and Poppy is on with a last chance diamonds wheel. I noticed they've changed the layout on the 'more details' section of the pieces they are showing. They always used to tell you the clarity of the diamonds (usually I3) but now there's no clarity shown? Has this come about because too many people are questioning the value(?) and rarity (?) of their diamonds especially as they're always telling us to check on the internet and see for ourselves what's out there. Just more sneakiness.

You're not suggesting that 'game of trust', multiple ASA warning, Gemporia would be shady in their selling practices are you? 🙃

You're not suggesting that 'game of trust', multiple ASA warning, Gemporia would be shady in their selling practices are you? 🙃
My error, they are showing you the clarity it's just the 'today's best sellers' section gets in the way, you need to scroll down to see the full details. I got caught out but it wouldn't have surprised me at all if I had been right about their sneakiness.

Bit of sneakiness on Jeff's show between 11pm and midnight.

Jeff had a wheel of, predominantly, gold rings.

Jeff works his way through the gold rings - and then a ring appears on screen and sells for £35. The graphics are on screen VERY briefly - so quickly, that the metal details don't show.

The ring was GOLD PLATED.

Yes, the price reflected that - but by including it in with a load of gold rings, and by not showing the metal details, someone might have though that it was a 'priced to clear' bargain and snapped it up quick thinking that they're going to have a gold ring drop through their letter box.

There were a couple of silver items on the wheel - but those were obviously silver. Everything else on the wheel was gold.

Bit naughty!

I’ve noticed that they no longer seem to show the metal weight of items any more, at least they haven’t been showing it the last couple of times I’ve been channel hopping.

I’ve noticed that they no longer seem to show the metal weight of items any more, at least they haven’t been showing it the last couple of times I’ve been channel hopping.
If that's true, they're being more honest than we give them credit for...

Bit of sneakiness on Jeff's show between 11pm and midnight.

Jeff had a wheel of, predominantly, gold rings.

Jeff works his way through the gold rings - and then a ring appears on screen and sells for £35. The graphics are on screen VERY briefly - so quickly, that the metal details don't show.

The ring was GOLD PLATED.

Yes, the price reflected that - but by including it in with a load of gold rings, and by not showing the metal details, someone might have though that it was a 'priced to clear' bargain and snapped it up quick thinking that they're going to have a gold ring drop through their letter box.

There were a couple of silver items on the wheel - but those were obviously silver. Everything else on the wheel was gold.

Bit naughty!
Hate to say it but I think it's a case of 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' - and I think it may be that Jeff has joined the rest in being selective with information. It's a shame, because I've always liked Jeff as a presenter (much better presenter than his sister, in my view), but I suppose it's inevitable really.

I think these days the presenters have to do as they're told, not much room for individuality now - it's the company way or the highway. Shame that the presenters today are as different from the 'old style' presenters as chalk and cheese. I always thought Jeff was one of the better ones, so maybe this occasion was just a blip.

Hate to say it but I think it's a case of 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' - and I think it may be that Jeff has joined the rest in being selective with information. It's a shame, because I've always liked Jeff as a presenter (much better presenter than his sister, in my view), but I suppose it's inevitable really.

I think these days the presenters have to do as they're told, not much room for individuality now - it's the company way or the highway. Shame that the presenters today are as different from the 'old style' presenters as chalk and cheese. I always thought Jeff was one of the better ones, so maybe this occasion was just a blip.

To be fair to Jeff, this would have been down to whoever is responsible for putting the show together and displaying the on-screen graphics - so it would be the producer/director.

I do think you're right about presenters having to do as they're told though. Rosie was one of the better presenters - but she's turned into another hard-sell, faux shock, presenter now. Poppy Hadkinson used to be a good presenter - but she can't sell any item of jewellery now without the patronising look to the gallery saying "do you realise this is in gold?" and other nonsense like that, as if they think the viewers are stupid. Ellis started getting worse about 2 years ago, and even Jeff changes his style when he covers during the daytime.

To be fair to Jeff, this would have been down to whoever is responsible for putting the show together and displaying the on-screen graphics - so it would be the producer/director.

I do think you're right about presenters having to do as they're told though. Rosie was one of the better presenters - but she's turned into another hard-sell, faux shock, presenter now. Poppy Hadkinson used to be a good presenter - but she can't sell any item of jewellery now without the patronising look to the gallery saying "do you realise this is in gold?" and other nonsense like that, as if they think the viewers are stupid. Ellis started getting worse about 2 years ago, and even Jeff changes his style when he covers during the daytime.
It's obvious they all have to obey the rules. I'm sure Jeff and others are feeling uncomfortable with the current situation. It wouldn't surprise me if he, too, deserts the sinking ship!

It's obvious they all have to obey the rules. I'm sure Jeff and others are feeling uncomfortable with the current situation. It wouldn't surprise me if he, too, deserts the sinking ship!
Random comment. I can see them reaching their next birthday, but I can't see them 'getting the key to the front door'. (That's why they always leave the door open for all the things that fly out of it.) But joking aside, I think this will probably be their last birthday. Be surprised if they had more: in the current form anyway.

I'd say Jeff would be one of the few who would probably get another presenting job elsewhere. He's friendly, looks smart, obviously studied gemstones - and can pronounce his words correctly most of the time and not screech at you non-stop, all of which are rare commodities on Gemporia these days.

I'd say Jeff would be one of the few who would probably get another presenting job elsewhere. He's friendly, looks smart - and can pronounce his words correctly, which is a rare commodity on Gemporia these days.
If, as I understand, he's freelance and has his own 'thing': whatever that be (I did hear him say it once, but can't remember what it was), does he need another presenting job?

If, as I understand, he's freelance and has his own 'thing': whatever that be (I did hear him say it once, but can't remember what it was), does he need another presenting job?
No, he probably doesn't. I think these days you have to be a certain type to do it (voice like a pneumatic drill is one essential requirement, being economical with the info. is another, having the dramatic talents of a 4th-rate amateur is another). Good luck to him if he has other strings to his bow - I have an idea he is also a designer (but of what? Jewellery?). Could be wrong with this.

Latest posts

Back