Kipling bags - what's the attraction?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have to say that I love Kipling! It took me a while to work out what all the fuss was about before they started to diversify their range though. A while ago it was just the basic range and all of the straps were black which made them look cheap - I didn't get it then! Now I have about 12. Only one of the basic range though (my dog walking bag which goes in the washing machine a lot and comes out great!)
The velv et Katie bags are great as are all of the city collection bags and their leather is to die for - I've got 4 of their leather bags and they are fab!
IMPORTANT INFO:
Beware re QVCs pricing at times. There was a 50% off sale up until about a week ago on the kipling site which made some of the recent QVC shows quite expensive when they are always banging on about how they get the best prices - watch out for that! Also their outlet stores often have up to 70% off but the products are usually 1 yr old (which doesn't bother me but may bother some people!)

I love my kipling bags they are as most have said very lightweight and easily packed away too but I hate the monkeys I always sell mine on ebay but what's with the new season colours I've never seen some many blue bags with different names that look the same wish they would bring back a nice gorgeous purple colour really love the hip designs but my fave of the mo is the morrisey love the pockets and with a very useful make-up bag too

I find this weird too... a couple of years ago when they had the midnight purple colour it used to sell on QVC in seconds and yet they seem determined not to do another similar colour... and the guest also used to be saying the midnight purple was selling quickly in the stores...

On the subject of the monkey....apparently, they all have names and are named after different members of Kipling staff!

It's meant to be considered a real honour for them to name a monkey after you... Julia Roberts used to be dropping hints about it for years...:nod:

have to admit,I really do like kipling - and was buying it before it came to qvc.

sometimes qvc can do some good prices on kipling,if you're into it - but on the other hand,they hold a lot of really old stock that they never reduce.

I live in london and kipling is readily available - many kipling bags are in independent stores,which reduce greatly - and qvc don't seem to care that they're ripping off customers but selling really old stock at a full price.

I've tried to keep out of this thread but I just couldn't. :tongue2: Canvas imo is perfect for deckchairs, mailbags or tarpaulins but not for handbags. :22: Across the body bags should only be worn by kids or little old ladies who are afraid of having their bag snatched :bandit: or just wouldn't remember where it was otherwise. :thinking2: The hideous monkeys are incredibly ugly and I'd have to hypnotised or be at gunpoint to walk down the road sporting one of those dangling off my person. :YIKES: Tbh it would make me feel simple. :13: And Mrs James :hi: I know you luv me :Mrs James: but please...... DON'T SEND ME ANY MORE OF THE VILE THINGS!! :slap: :pPC:

I've tried to keep out of this thread but I just couldn't. :tongue2: Canvas imo is perfect for deckchairs, mailbags or tarpaulins but not for handbags. :22: Across the body bags should only be worn by kids or little old ladies who are afraid of having their bag snatched :bandit: or just wouldn't remember where it was otherwise. :thinking2: The hideous monkeys are incredibly ugly and I'd have to hypnotised or be at gunpoint to walk down the road sporting one of those dangling off my person. :YIKES: Tbh it would make me feel simple. :13: And Mrs James :hi: I know you luv me :Mrs James: but please...... DON'T SEND ME ANY MORE OF THE VILE THINGS!! :slap: :pPC:

That's me, been using across the body bag for about 15 years, LOL.

Take it you don't like them then Sue........pmsl

Me neither............

It stemmed from having 2 little people plus a buggy to lug around Sue.

I don't see the fascination of Kipling either.

Somebody just mentioned LeSportSac! A Canadian friend of mine has them and I remember having something years ago. I have just been looking at their website.

There used to be a LeSportSac shop in the Strand, in London, which I often walked past on my way to and from work, to the serious detriment of my bank balance. I bought a handbag and holdall at San Francisco airport about ten years ago, and I'm still using the big one.

More recently, I looked at their website, and messaged to ask what they charged for shipping to the UK. Got a very rude response saying they did not ship abroad.

I believe the bags are made from the same fabric as parachutes are; they're incredibly tough.

Satis, know what Bag to look for if I'm on a Plane and it's going down......lol

xxxx

Please don't all jump on me - I seriously want to know, I'm not having a go..

(Heck! I wear Kim&Co trousers, but only the black ones and not the shiny fabric)

The first Kipling bag I ever saw was being toted by my mother-in-law - a formidable lady. It was denim and had a monkey hanging from it. I'm afraid to say, I laughed...:blush:
" It's a Kipling" she said frostily, as if that explained everything, and I didn't dare take it any further. I thought about the Jungle Book and presumed that there was a choice of JB animals to dangle from strange cloth bags.
Fast forward a few years, and I saw some in a designer boutique - again, I was gobsmacked!

So what IS the attraction. To me, they look like a cheapo cloth bag with a monkey. I don't find them in the least endearing or lovely to look at and I'm sure many of you would feel the same about some of my stuff. I've always wanted to ask a "Kipling" person.....and, given their popularity on here, now's my chance!
** Hides behind the settee, knowing her Kim's won't crease, bag at the knee or pick up cat hair:tongue2:**
you all the way on this one!

I have 3. They're lightweight; washable; durable; and have good storage design - little pockets etc; and the ones I have have long straps for 'across the body'.

They are only for casual day use for me though. Oh, and I like the monkey (although, when I think back, was a bit self-conscious about it): good for amusing small children should the need arise; but I watch where I let it dangle...

I've got Kipling bags and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

I do have a bit of a dual personality thing going on though - the outdoorsy boating always-with-a-GPS-in-hand side of me loves Kipling bags, but the City-function-attending alter ego wouldn't be seen dead with one:11:

It depends what you're doing, where you're going and who you're with

Oh and no monkeys - they come straight off

That should read "WITH you all the way".

However, since writing this I have come across a rather nice grey leather shoulder bag but since it is £187 I will not be indulging.

It's O.K., I knew what you meant!
The leather shops here are wonderful so I'm no longer tempted by mail order. However, when I was last in the U.K., I did buy the most beautiful bag in TKMaxx and it gets used all the time, I adore it! I have no idea what make it is but it was around 100 pounds.
Apart from the family, I don't miss anything about the U.K. apart from TKMaxx, I love that shop.....:heart:

Latest posts

Back