Yankee Candles: Thick black soot around rim of jar.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

sahara

Registered Shopper
Is is usual for the Yankee Candles to produce a thick black soot that covers the rim of the jar? I have just started using them and I do like the smell but I was wondering did I get a "bad lot" of jars as all my jars have the soot or is this normal? I don't like the idea of my walls being covered in soot!

No you haven't got a dodgy one. No matter what the sales presentatives say about trimming the wick, yes you will get black soot. Oh and up your walls as well. You will be breathing that in as well.
No matter how much people love Yankee they use cheap wax. I bought a SpaceNK own brand candle and burnt over the last week not one dirty mark on the glass at all. You could have used the glass to drink out of!!!

I've always burnt my YC on my kitchen dresser and it was black with soot last year before I made the DH paint it!

Is is usual for the Yankee Candles to produce a thick black soot that covers the rim of the jar? I have just started using them and I do like the smell but I was wondering did I get a "bad lot" of jars as all my jars have the soot or is this normal? I don't like the idea of my walls being covered in soot!

Yeah...they'll do that.

I am not at all sure what I must be doing differently but I have never had soot on the inside of my jars

Yes, I've had that problem lots of times with YC...plus the fact that no matter how many times I trim the wicks and keep them out of draughts they never seem to burn down level. I do as they tell you on QVC and let the wax reach the sides before blowing it out but to no avail. I've gone off Yankee Candles altogether now so I don't watch the progs anymore. I don't like the choices they give you...I hate the florally and foody ones, just prefer the spicier ones and they don't do many of them on QVC. There's a much better choice and price on Yankee Doodle's website.

Yes they definitely do smoke, and they make a right mess, I prefer the tarts, I tried the Kringle ones they are much better and some that were called milk house candles not sure if Qvc still do these.

Yes they definitely do smoke, and they make a right mess, I prefer the tarts, I tried the Kringle ones they are much better and some that were called milk house candles not sure if Qvc still do these.

They certainly did a couple of weeks ago because I bought some more Pure Vanilla ones. I've now got a stock pile of the vanilla ones because they really do fill the house with fragrance (vanilla being my favourite if you've not guessed. :wink:)

The first one I bought only got a 3 star review from me on the website because I had problems with the wick 'mushrooming,' but the fragrance was lovely and I think the wick issue was down to me not reading the instructions, as I've had no problems since.

This afternoon, however, sets of Milkhouse Creamery candles were featured in the Christmas sale so they may be just clearing stock or maybe they'll not be doing them any more. I hope that's not the case because, in my opinion, they're better than YC.

`i had to repaint my ceiling about 4 months ago due to the soot from burning jars of Yankee Candles despite religiously trimming the wick as short as possible. Now I stick to wax tarts only and the occasional votive. I also really like Kringle wax tarts (gingerbread being my favourite) and have a stockist in the the town where I live. Never again will I buy YC jars as it was blimmin' hard work repainting the ceiling. It took 3 coats to cover the soot properly.

I've had some blackening around the jar but nothing like staining the walls or ceiling, that sounds terrible! I always have a hood on the jars so maybe that controls the air flow so that they don't smoke as much?

Was so shocked when I last repainted the ceiling - the contrast between the fresh white paint and the old - that I haven't burnt a candle since. And they weren't even Yankie - Kenneth Turner, Jo Malone, Dyptyque, Tosca etc. Only use reed diffusers now.

Was so shocked when I last repainted the ceiling - the contrast between the fresh white paint and the old - that I haven't burnt a candle since. And t

hey weren't even Yankie - Kenneth Turner, Jo Malone, Dyptyque, Tosca etc. Only use reed diffusers now.
all are parrafin wax even though they all cost a fortune. i use a yankee shade on my jars you will faunt when you see how black they are inside

Of course a wet cloth with a little proprietary dish washing soap will have your rim sparkling like new again. This is called "rimming" to those in the know. Mention it next time you're in your local candle outlet, you're bound to get tongues wagging!

Yes I always have this problem as well. I've had to wipe (sorry Burly Bear can't bring myself to say "rim") my jar this morning as I have had to do every morning. I am not allowed to burn jars on our mantelpiece as we had to repaint the wall behind it as well due to soot marks.

I do still like burning them because at least you can leave them to burn for long periods of time. I do burn wax tarts as well however am wondering whether they have cut back on the amount of oil they put in them now. I bought some recently from Debenhams and the fragrance only lasted 2 days whereas previously they have lasted a good week.

I always used YC shades on my jars too, when I want to extinguish them I simply put a coaster over the top of the shade and then the lack of air starves the flame and within moments its out. I leave the coaster there for a while and then all the smoke remains inside the shade, quick wash now and again and the shades look lovely again and no soot marks on the walls or ceiling. Seems to work so far ..

Latest posts

Back