Unused QVC items - what happens if they are faulty?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
I have sometimes bought items when they were a TSV because I knew I would need them at some time in the future.

As an example, I bought a laser printer to eventually replace my ink-jet. However, as I had a stock of inks for this, I didn't open the box of the laser printer when it arrived, and it is still unopened years later!

I will need to use it soon but wonder if there is anything I can do if it turns out to be faulty?

It is well out of guarantee, and I know I was foolish not to test it when it arrived, but I didn't have room to have 2 printers on my desk so it was more convenient to just store it away unopened in its box until needed.

I would never not try anything that I've bought, i'd always check it over before storing for future use. No company would entertain fixing or replacing something that has been sitting around for a year or so with a claim that its not been used before so there is no point in tempting fate and risking it.

maybe you may get some joy under fit for purpose.
believe it or not most things should last around 5 years. if its in its packaging and you can argue that point. you never know always worth a try! good luck!

maybe you may get some joy under fit for purpose.
believe it or not most things should last around 5 years. if its in its packaging and you can argue that point. you never know always worth a try! good luck!

Depends on item and cost, no where does it state an item should last 5 years

durability your rights as a consumer!!!

Durability

Durability is another recent addition to the definition of quality. How long should a dishwasher or a vacuum cleaner or a printer last? This is a very common source of complaint and one which manufacturers were always quick to turn back on the consumer, requiring them to provide proof that the item did not conform to contract specification from the start, or implying an element of misuse or neglect. Thanks to the new European Regulations, UK law now offers greater protection for consumers against products which develop faults within the first 6 months. The assumption is now that if it breaks down within this time period it cannot have conformed to the contract specification when purchased and you have the right to an automatic repair or replacement. Having said this, items which should last several years can still break down after this six month period. If the retailer or manufacturer’s warranty has run out, the shop is often quick to say there is nothing they can do before attempting to sell you an extended warranty. This is misleading. If you buy something which should last 7 years but breaks down after a year and a day, you can still claim it was of poor quality in reference to the durability aspect. In this respect it will help to know how long items such as washing machines or printers should last. You can get this information relevant trade association"

this is current consumer law that shops dont want you to know. there has to be some advantages to beloging to the e.u lol!

Its not EU law its part of the sales of goods act, like i said there is nothing set in law that states an item should last X amount of time, and as the item is out of warranty the OP would have to get an engineers report to see if its in inherent fault and go to QVC for a resolution, QV seem to wipe there hands of things after 6 months according to reports on here

qvc are still under the consumer law but depending on the manufacturer you may get some where. its worth a try.

after a year i belive you contract of sale would be with the manufacturer not whoever you bought it from again worth a try! contact who made the printer there may have been a faulty batch and they will know. you may not get a refund but they may wel repair it or offer you a new one, again its worth a try.. good luck.
oh and this was copied and pasted it from a consumer law website and is not my opinion!

Nope contract is always with the seller, manafactuer does not have to do anything legally, printer isnt faulty yet so lets hope it works :drunk:

. . . . . printer isnt faulty yet so lets hope it works :drunk:

I agree, I did say that I hadn't tried it yet so don't know if it is faulty or not, and usually electronic stuff works OK, so I am hoping it works.

But thanks for all the advice, just in case it doesn't.

It seems like you are entitled to compensation for up to six years if the goods were faulty when you bought them. In this case you can claim for loss of value that is a repair or an amount equivalent to the cost of a repair.

I found this useful bit of information on this site, scroll down till you get to the bit headed "a case of late complaint."
http://www.inbrief.co.uk/consumer-law/consumer-rights-and-refunds.htm

Latest posts

Back