Ultrasun TSV 3/4/14

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just dragging this thread up as struggling with a facial SPF, and there's been some talk of it in here.

Have been using Alpha H's moisturiser SPF 50 for ages and love it, but just cannot afford to keep buying it so looking for something else.

Ordered the ultrasun face 50 for a change and BOY has it driven me mad. Doesn't sink in and itches like hell, back it's going to QVC. Have previously used the ultrasun face 30 and had no problems with it, but I really want more than 30 as I use glycolics and have the fairest skin you can get.

Does anyone know the UVA star rating of Clinique's face cream SPF40 or the city block SPF40? Can't see the UVA sign in a circle on the packaging.

Any views on La Roche Posay 50+ cream/fluid?

(ps - Soltan likes my body but hates my face, so can't use that either)

Last edited:
Just dragging this thread up as struggling with a facial SPF, and there's been some talk of it in here.

Have been using Alpha H's moisturiser SPF 50 for ages and love it, but just cannot afford to keep buying it so looking for something else.

Ordered the ultrasun face 50 for a change and BOY has it driven me mad. Doesn't sink in and itches like hell, back it's going to QVC. Have previously used the ultrasun face 30 and had no problems with it, but I really want more than 30 as I use glycolics and have the fairest skin you can get.

Does anyone know the UVA star rating of Clinique's face cream SPF40 or the city block SPF40? Can't see the UVA sign in a circle on the packaging.

Any views on La Roche Posay 50+ cream/fluid?

(ps - Soltan likes my body but hates my face, so can't use that either)

Let's be clear on some points....

1) The level of protection between SPF 30 and SPF 50 is about 3-4%. Therefore SPF 30 is almost as good as it gets. SPF 15 is also extremely high, blocking 94% of UVB.
2) The higher the SPF, the thicker and oilier the consistency.
3) Soltan do a product called Soltan Face. The best version is Soltan ONCE Face. It protects for up to 8 hours. I use this in SPF 30 (UVA*****)
4) The reason why Ultrasu, is non-greasy is because it is loaded with aluminium chlorohydrates - the same things that make deodorants dry under your arms. This has been proven to penetrate through the skin and enter the bloodstream. Aluminium has been linked to dementia and many other ailments.
5) Boots Soltan contains a patented ingredient called Optisol making it extremely stable. The Once product is good because you are applying less of it. When the sunlight enters the skin and is neutralised by the filters, the Optisol greatly reduces the free radical generation by absorbing the energy created by the breakdown.
6) Ultrasun only has UVA, meaning its UVA protection is around 2/3 that of its SPF which protects against UVB.

This is the main one I use:

http://www.boots.com/en/Soltan-Once-Face-Moisturising-Suncare-Cream-SPF30-50ml_1314649/

[SUP][/SUP]That's great Julius, thanks for that,
the aluminium chlorohydrate is certainly food for thought.

The regular Soltan Face 50 made my face itch, but will give the Once face 30 a go, hopefully the different formula will suit if it is less oily :)

Do you use it as your daily moisturiser Julius?

Last edited:

The regular Soltan Face 50 made my face itch, but will give the Once face 30 a go, hopefully the different formula will suit if it is less oily :)

Good luck with that Ellaaa. Maybe see if you can patch test it using an in-store tester.
By the way I tried La Roche Posau Anthelios HL SPF 50 a few years back. It was quite a light texture for a 50 and came in a flat bottle which looked like a mobile phone (always caused problems going through airport security). Its main selling points were that it contained thermal spring water (big deal) and was light, (which it was). It was expensive but not bad. It's very popular in Paris and always seems to appear in the windows of pharmacies. There is an even more expensive brand called Sisley which has been dubbed "The World's most expensive sunscreen." I forget how much it was but it was something like 90€ for a tiny little bottle. I never bought it so I can't say if it's good or not but I tested some in Sephora and it seemed on a par with La Roche Posay - but I would say La Roche Posay was very good. Ambre Solaire used to do a face one. I LOVED the smell of Ambre Solaire. Always reminded me of holidays! Piz Buin do another one called "One Day Long" which smells gorgeous but is not a good formulation.

http://www.bestdryskintreatments.co...n-fluid-for-face-17-ounce-bottle_5306_500.jpg

http://www.fragrancex.com/images/products/sku/big/02480083101.jpg

Last edited:

Yes during the day I used the Soltan as a moisturiser. At night I use Liz Earle repairwear light (strange for a bloke to use I know but I have very sensitive skin and my dermatologist recommended it to me. I haven't bought any Liz Earle for several months. I hope they haven't changed the formulation. I also like Avalon Organics vitamin C facial renewal cream. I alternate these at night. The sunscreen is all I use during the day.

Thanks Julius the boots one is cheap too. I was wondering if it was safe to use the ultra sun body one on my face. I got the SPF 50 one in TK this week end, but think I will take a trip to Boots!

Thanks Julius the boots one is cheap too. I was wondering if it was safe to use the ultra sun body one on my face. I got the SPF 50 one in TK this week end, but think I will take a trip to Boots!

When I go on summer hols I sometimes use Soltans SPF 15 (not a once a day application) for the body. It comes in a brown and cream / beige bottle and claims to have some sort of tan accelerator. I have used that on my face when I ran out of Once and although I have super sensitive skin it was fine! Love it! Here's the link.

http://www.boots.com/en/Soltan-Protect-Tan-Ultra-Light-Texture-Suncare-Lotion-SPF15-200ml_1253306/

Though I'm a big fan of Soltan I must say I really dislike the smell of the Soltan Once for the body. It reminded me of vomit :-( so check before you buy because it's going to be close to you and if you don't like the smell you won't use it!

I was wondering if it was safe to use the ultra sun body one on my face. I got the SPF 50 one in TK this week end, but think I will take a trip to Boots!
I did use the Ultrasun spf50 body cream on my face and it didn't sting the eyes which was good, but after two weeks I found that my pores were clogged.

Am I the only one in the world who's got a sensitive skin and had no reactions to Ultrasun?

Let's be clear on some points....

1) The level of protection between SPF 30 and SPF 50 is about 3-4%. Therefore SPF 30 is almost as good as it gets. SPF 15 is also extremely high, blocking 94% of UVB.
2) The higher the SPF, the thicker and oilier the consistency.
3) Soltan do a product called Soltan Face. The best version is Soltan ONCE Face. It protects for up to 8 hours. I use this in SPF 30 (UVA*****)
4) The reason why Ultrasu, is non-greasy is because it is loaded with aluminium chlorohydrates - the same things that make deodorants dry under your arms. This has been proven to penetrate through the skin and enter the bloodstream. Aluminium has been linked to dementia and many other ailments.
5) Boots Soltan contains a patented ingredient called Optisol making it extremely stable. The Once product is good because you are applying less of it. When the sunlight enters the skin and is neutralised by the filters, the Optisol greatly reduces the free radical generation by absorbing the energy created by the breakdown.
6) Ultrasun only has UVA, meaning its UVA protection is around 2/3 that of its SPF which protects against UVB.

This is the main one I use:

http://www.boots.com/en/Soltan-Once-Face-Moisturising-Suncare-Cream-SPF30-50ml_1314649/

Regarding the Aluminium debate, I agree with Julius. Nothing has been proved, but it does cause concern with the amount of press there has been on the subject.
The only Antiperspirant I can use is Sure original roll-on (anything else burns like hell), and it is loaded with Aluminium. I'll admit that it does worry me for the future but I don't want to be walking round stinking of BO.
That's another reason why I won't use Ultrasun.

"Boots Soltan contains a patented ingredient called Optisol making it extremely stable. "

Was this written by Mr Boots? ......no disrespect ...I am very sceptical about reports etc ...naming one against the other etc ....

"Boots Soltan contains a patented ingredient called Optisol making it extremely stable. "

Was this written by Mr Boots? ......no disrespect ...I am very sceptical about reports etc ...naming one against the other etc ....

It was written by me. The scientific studies are in the public domain. If you wish I can find the link for you. I have done quite a bit of research into sunscreens for an article I had to write a while back.

I'd be interested to see the independent scientific studies behind this claim, Julius.
Thanks in advance!

Regarding the Aluminium debate, I agree with Julius. Nothing has been proved, but it does cause concern with the amount of press there has been on the subject.
The only Antiperspirant I can use is Sure original roll-on (anything else burns like hell), and it is loaded with Aluminium. I'll admit that it does worry me for the future but I don't want to be walking round stinking of BO.
That's another reason why I won't use Ultrasun.

As with most things in life it's down to the individual. I take a calculated risk wearing deodorant that contains aluminium, there is no proven scientific evidence that it is harmful (though of course I don't deny some studies indicate it is) so I am exercising my right to use it until clinical evidence proves otherwise. Lots of people smoke or drink alcohol in excess knowing full well the conclusive evidence it does harm, yet won't use parabens in skincare, which have no conclusive evidence of causing harm.

As a nurse I work on evidence based practice and until I see reliable, peer reviewed, evidence proving a substance is harmful, I take research with a pinch of salt.

It was written by me. The scientific studies are in the public domain. If you wish I can find the link for you. I have done quite a bit of research into sunscreens for an article I had to write a while back.

No Julius i meant who did the scientific study? ....any info is welcome of course and I'm not dissing you i just question everything ...any surveys studies etc....not always black and white inmho that's all ....k

Latest posts

Back