Thorntons TSV 13/11/14

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I gave up boxed chocolates when Rowntrees sold off Black Magic. I knew where I was with the fillings and centres of those old chocs, -the toffee and mallow, cherry cup, coffee cream, nut cracknel and the rest, - but now all the fancy 'chocolatiers' have gone down the route of 'sludge' - so who knows whats in those ganache, truffle and mousse fillings - certainly the 'menus' sound inviting, but I can never distinguish the 'Moroccan oranges' from the 'champagne truffle' - its all 'gacky' to me.

BUT, I have now found my all time favourite chocs, NEVER to be shared with anyone. Chardonnel & Walker really salted caramel chocolate balls. Hugely expensive at £9.99 from Waitrose, but oh they are soooo orgasmically good !!!!

Ooh I have been eyeing these up for a while myself. Definitely worth a try then eh? Yumm!

Deffo ! out of all the 'salted caramel' choccys on the market - and I've tried loads, then c & w absolutely GET the salty/sweet combo spot on !

Oh I pine for the old Black Magic chocolates. they were my favourites. Every year I was given one of those picture boxes with a ribbon around it, way back in the 60`s.

Does anyone else think that normal chocolates (not the high coca ones) are so sweet that it is nearly impossible to identify that it is actually chocolate and not just coloured sugar you are eating.

Does anyone else think that normal chocolates (not the high coca ones) are so sweet that it is nearly impossible to identify that it is actually chocolate and not just coloured sugar you are eating.

I like good chocolate, but boy, am I also very partial to a bit of Cadburys!! ;-)

I'm with you on that one. I rarely eat chocolate now as I'm diabetic! but when I do have a tiny piece, some of the standard ones set my teeth on edge, just too sweet. Thorntons does nothing for me, it's not the same as used to be that's for sure.

Oh I pine for the old Black Magic chocolates. they were my favourites. Every year I was given one of those picture boxes with a ribbon around it, way back in the 60`s.

Yes, the black boxes were always 'padded' and had a little red tassel to open the box with. Also back in the 60's and 70's at Christmas there would be the huuge boxes of chocs with the typical picture box setting, whether it be an old cottage, or swans on the lake, - I remember because all the girls in the estate agents where I worked were given a box at Christmas by the Partners of the firm.

Does anyone remember Weekend chocolates. They were always a bit different because they included sweets and chocolates. I'm sure I wouldn't like them now though.

Does anyone remember Weekend chocolates. They were always a bit different because they included sweets and chocolates. I'm sure I wouldn't like them now though.

I remember them. They were in a brightly coloured checked box I think and had too many marzipans in them for my taste. I really loved the Milk Tray chocolate bars, each square had a different filling and were a different shape, just like the boxed chocolates.

Vienna, dare I suggest that you and I may be of an age when we had 5 boys and 5 girls bars?

Also remember when you could get Frys fruit flavoured bars as well as mint cream.

I was more of a sweet rather than chocolate person. Loved, and still do, sugared almonds, iced carmels, cherry lips and good strong liquorice.

And I think we all miss Spangles, I liked the black packet but they were not as popular and harder to get.

Vienna, dare I suggest that you and I may be of an age when we had 5 boys and 5 girls bars?

Also remember when you could get Frys fruit flavoured bars as well as mint cream.

I was more of a sweet rather than chocolate person. Loved, and still do, sugared almonds, iced carmels, cherry lips and good strong liquorice.

And I think we all miss Spangles, I liked the black packet but they were not as popular and harder to get.

lol Yep we certainly are of " an age ". I loved the Frys cream bars with different coloured centres and also Spangles but the acid drop flavour were my favourites. also Cherry Lips, Winter Nips, Bar Six, Black Jacks and Traffic light lollies. My ultimate Saturday night treat from the sweet shop was a Lions " mixture ". The shop owner would weigh out a quarter mix of all Lions sweets including midget gems, sports mixtures, wine gums and pastilles.

My husband was addicted to a bar called whoppers (no one ever seems to remember these) We tried for years to get them and eventually traced them to a company doing retro sweets. We bought a load of our old favourites, cost a fortune, and guess what, not one of them tasted remotely as we both remembered them. I don't think it was just us, they just weren't the real thing, the names were the same but it was a bit like knock off perfume.

Oh yes....Black Magic and 4 for 1p Black Jacks and Fruit Salads. Anyone remember Caramac? I hated it because it was so sickly. Do fruit Polos still exist?

I liked Caramac! Couldn't eat it now though!

Good old black jacks 4 for an old penny.

I thought I saw fruit polo recently, perhaps on holiday. I did see big bags of polo mints individually wrapped, which is not the way you remember them. My sister and I used to get half a pack each in church!

I remember eating so many butterscotch gums once I was physically sick but I still like them!

Things like Cadbury flakes were special because they were a bit pricey but now they just taste like the really cheap cooking chocolate ones they used for 99's.

Dark chocolate Bounty used to be a fav but now it is too sweet.

I have never had a very sweet tooth so the chocolate manufacturers would probably go out of business if they relied on my custom. I have to agree that when I do indulge these days the majority tastes far too sweet for my liking so I much prefer something savoury. However, I do have one weakness and that's Thornton's Coffee Creams! Always loved Coffee Walnut Whips when I was expecting our daughter almost 30 years ago but haven't seen them for a very long time. Aero used to be available in coffee flavour too but that wasn't around for long either.

Has anyone else's tsv been shipped yet? Mine is still showing as 'in process' from the 11th November! Is it being shipped directly from Thorntons does anyone know? This may explain it....

Latest posts

Back