They did it again !!!!!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Miss Ellie

Registered Shopper
I recently returned an item and told them via the online customer service form that I was doing so, and because I let them know within 7 days I was cancelling and returning the order I was entitled to a refund of the delivery charge. They have only refunded me the price of the item! This happened to me once before and yet it has happened again. I've now got to ring them up when I shouldn't have to. They need to sort themselves out because I, for one, take a very dim view of the fact that not only do they omit tell you that under Distance Selling Regulations you are entitled to a refund of the delivery charge but when I point it out and ask for it, they still don't give it ! Not happy at all. :mysmilie_51:

They quite often do this to me too. I reckon they think I won't notice but I always do. Their postage charges are not cheap and I want my money back!

The customer services adviser was contacting the warehouse to see what went wrong and she is ringing me back. She told me that the warehouse check the returned item to make sure it is in the same condition as you received it, and then they note the refund. I used the online 'contact us' form regarding returns but the warehouse clearly have not received any instruction to issue a P&P refund as well. If the information given on the form is not getting to the warehouse so that they can note a FULL refund, then QVC need to look at their processes. It is not a mistake (as I was told the first time), it is absolutely avoidable if they took the time and trouble to sort it out. I feel angry and saddened and more than a little cynical because I am sure it is entirely possible they could improve the system to make things easier for the customer. And I have to wonder why not.

It seems to me it is just a ploy to keep the money, boosting their profits. I agree it is outrageous but they seem to be a company which will diddle you out of a fiver just for the sake of their bottom line. Given the vast amount of sales, bothering over a fiver is just ludicrous. But that seems to be their mentality doesn't it??? You never hear about DSR/getting postage back on air and it was only cos I took detailed notes from wording others provided on another thread that I realised exactly what to do. Otherwise I would just send back under the 30day MBG.

The Distance Selling Regulations are for customers who buy something unseen as it were and untried. So that is why you are entitled to a full refund because you haven't felt the material or tried it on etc. If the company sends you a pre-paid returns label, you cannot claim your delivery charge back. I have heard back from customer service who told me that the department who receives the online contact form are a couple of days behind the warehouse but once received they would have refunded my £3.95 separately. Is it beyond the wit of such a big organisation to be better organised than this? I hate the fact that they (along with every other company too) do not tell you about your rights under DSR. I wonder how many p&ps they have not refunded to customers simply because the customer was unaware they were entitled to it?

They do it all the time regardless of proof in writing, I always send emails as once when I was using the contact form they tried to make out I didn't send it and they didn't need to refund the P&P so now I send emails for written proof! This company is not trustworthy in the slightest! They do not want people to know about DSR as I would imagine this would cause them financial trouble as although their P&P charges can be extortionate especially on multiple items they still have staff wages, packaging, printing and postage costs to take into account, so if everyone sent back DSR unless they put their prices up to cover it they would probably go bust. However Q need to realise the Law is the Law and if they keep flouting it there will be repercussions!

I posted on a recent thread about wording the DSR email with "please confirm the original P&P will be refund with out me having to chase it?" also never use the contact form, send an email to [email protected] so you have a dated copy. I also write on the outer label and also the (now tiny) return slip that the "order is cancelled under DSR"

The warehouse barely look at the parcels they just scan the bar code which kicks off the refund process*. Years ago I stuck the wrong label on a return and the wrong item was refunded (fortunately the error was a few ££ in my favour) but the size of the parcel and actual contents would have alerted even the dimmest witted that they didn't correspond. *also write in big letters "2 of 2" if you return both items where you've ordered 2 identica,l to make sure they refund for both.

Don't waste your energy getting annoyed, you just have to write it clearly enough to give them a chance to get it right, bless 'em! :mysmilie_59:

I hate the fact that they (along with every other company too) do not tell you about your rights under DSR.

They do tell us, in their Terms and Conditions, and that meets their obligation. The customer accepts the T&C every time they buy an item, so the onus is on the customer to read them.

People should also be aware that the DSR don't cover everything. The regulations don't cover

CDs, DVDs or software if you've broken the seal on the wrapping
Perishable and other items that deteriorate rapidly such as food and flowers
Tailor-made or personalised goods
Underwear and Earrings

So if Q accepts back such items under the DSR they're going above and beyond.

Can I just ask why so many people are returning under the DSR? Just wondered? I sometimes get buyer's remorse, but I still will open the package and have a look in case something does turn out to exceed expectations. Then, if I still don't like it, I'll return at my expense and not expect Q to pick up the tab. I ordered it, it's my responsibility.

As an ex-business woman, I know I was in it to make a profit (for which I worked extremely hard). Q are a business out to make a profit, not a charity. I'm the first to complain about some of their hard-sell presenters, but am also capable of making up my own mind about ordering (sometimes with a little help from some of the raves here :wink:). If a lot of people started using DSR to return, this will have an impact on prices across the board for the rest of us.

I had a few customers that I would inwardly groan about when I saw them come through the door as I knew they would only ever turn up to complain (and I can honestly say that the vast majority of their complaints were unjustified), but wanting to ensure that I kept my good business rep, I would take the hit from my own pocket. As mine was a relatively small business and a lot of my stock was pre-priced, I was unable (and unwilling) to pass on costs to other customers - but I dare say other companies who have boards/investors to satisfy - will just pass it on in increases in prices and postage.

I've never been anything but an honest customer in my dealings with Q, and have to say, have received superb CS from them. If I've had cause to complain, they've always dealt with it immediately and to my satisfaction. Of course, they still have their little foibles such as being unable to cancel even when an order hasn't been processed (and they should look to sort that out as I feel that if someone wants to cancel for whatever reason, then that person is going to return the product and end up costing them money - though I do know people who will keep everything to save the bother of returning!).

Sorry if this post seems holier-than-thou/argumentative, but I really am curious.

Sorry if this post seems holier-than-thou/argumentative, but I really am curious.

You seem to have been very lucky with your dealings with Q unfortunately I can not say the same by a very long shot! There are several valid reasons why the Distance Selling Regulations exist and it is for all those reasons that I return items under DSR. Q are very heavy on the sales pressure and often, in my experience, spout untruths about items especially in fashion so therefore I am within my legal right to return under DSR.

I'm sure it wasn't meant but your post comes across as if those who use DSR are being in someway dishonest, as an owner of two companies, who also deals with many clients I am anything but dishonest!

Just catching up on posts. If there was a QVC shop in my town I would go there and try things on, but because there isn't a shop I buy online. I return things (usually clothing) because I can't feel the material, nor is it clear whether or not the item is a bit see-through, or not very generous on a more fuller figure. So I return clothing though they don't fit well, because they are usually a bit tight across my tummy, and those stick-thin models are not representative of my shape but I try it and see what a garment is like. So I return and am entitled under DSR to return. Yes Q do explain the Regs in the help pages but the presenters never refer to them at all. I would just like the return and refund of charges and delivery to be dovetailed together and I certainly should not have to chase up. It's all very well Q telling me that once Customer Services got up to speed with contact forms, they would have issued the refund, I'm saying it should be all linked together. Good idea, why not produce a bigger returns label on which there is a section 'cancel order under DSR' that you can tick?

I'm sure it wasn't meant but your post comes across as if those who use DSR are being in someway dishonest, as an owner of two companies, who also deals with many clients I am anything but dishonest!

Agreed. I'm afraid that anyone in business (and I've run a business in the past) has to take the hits before you can count your profits, but doing what QVC are doing is aimed at keeping as much of my money as they can, whether or not they're entitled. I recently returned a faulty item and they refunded me the cost of the item only, without the p&p I originally paid. I check my bank statements carefully so I noticed the discrepancy and only after I phoned them up was I told I was getting my p&p back, as well, which I'll have to check again. Their extortionate p&p charges can only help their profits, as anyone who sells on ebay can verify. I recently refunded a buyer some p&p because I'd charged her too much. If I can do it and still be in profit, why can't QVC?

Agreed. I'm afraid that anyone in business (and I've run a business in the past) has to take the hits before you can count your profits, but doing what QVC are doing is aimed at keeping as much of my money as they can, whether or not they're entitled. I recently returned a faulty item and they refunded me the cost of the item only, without the p&p I originally paid. I check my bank statements carefully so I noticed the discrepancy and only after I phoned them up was I told I was getting my p&p back, as well, which I'll have to check again. Their extortionate p&p charges can only help their profits, as anyone who sells on ebay can verify. I recently refunded a buyer some p&p because I'd charged her too much. If I can do it and still be in profit, why can't QVC?

I have had to chase up the refund of p&p charges after returning faulty items too and after it happened a few times I started to wonder if it is actually a company policy not to return p&p, even when it should be returned under their own t's and c's or DSR rules. As it is also happening to other people too it sounds like they are doing it on purpose. Very bad if they are. Make sure you always check you have been fully refunded and don't just trust that you will be as they are obviously not to be trusted.

From the number of times this is mentioned on here, it sounds to me as if their policy is to withhold the p&p and wait for the customer to chase it up. Some people will just accept the purchase price as being the correct refund as they trust Q to get it right, so they will make a few quid out of it. What a cheek! And given the millions of pounds they trade in a year, how pathetic to try and diddle an honest punter out of £2.95 or whatever.

I don't know if I'm lucky or just "careful" (that's a nice way of saying tight-fisted, which is what my family call me).

I always check pricing before buying and factor in P&P charges, and have never bought clothes. This maybe where the luck comes in - even high street clothes sizes differ from shop to shop, and I've even found that two identical items in the same size will be different most of the time. If I don't try on first in a shop, I tend to only buy if I know I'll be going back within their returns period. It would cost me a fortune to buy clothes from QVC with their postage charges, so I don't! To be honest, with all the flack some of the ranges have had on here I've never even been tempted to look at the shows.

My skin is temperamental to say the least so I mostly get samples from stores and if I like, will buy from Q if they have good value sets etc. If I've bought from Q untested and my skin reacts, I ring them, tell them, they send a label and they refund, postage charges included. I've never had to ask or ring to remind them. Again, luck?

I've recently had three items arrive broken - replaced quickly and without fuss - the last time I rang to inform of breakages, the CS rep refunded P&P without me asking, just for my inconvenience, even though I'm keeping the replacement.

I LOVE that I have the peace of mind of the 30mbg with items - not just that I can order and look at them, but that I can use and wear them. I have a huge problem with shoes and have used the mbg to try them. It takes me ages to wear in shoes and even if I've worn them in one year, if I pull them out the next, I still have to wear them in again. I remember my sister encouraging me to take a pair of sandals back to Clarkes as they had cut my feet to ribbons after literally minutes of wear. The woman in the shop cut me to ribbons, asking me who did I think I was, returning (very briefly) worn shoes! I didn't get the refund either! It's also great for when I don't get to sample skincare before buying. In most cases, shops will allow a refund if my skin has reacted (I've shown pics on my mobile when a SA is being iffy), but I've had to argue and get management involved in some cases.

Maybe I'm one of the people who reckoned that their CS is up there with the best and some people here have just been unlucky. So, not suggesting that people are dishonest here, just wondering. The only time I've used DSR was when I ordered something from Q for my sister-in-law who had passed away suddenly between me ordering and the items arriving. I rang CS and the rep suggested I refuse delivery and that she would refund ALL charges, which she did. Without me having to chase up. I've also had postage charges refunded when I've queried a delay in arrival of an item.

Off topic, slightly, but it took almost a year to get a complaint settled by John Lewis, and that was after many lengthy emails to management. Q's CS has been 100% better for me (and now I've said that out loud, I'll probably have a run of bad luck!).

I don't know if I'm lucky or just "careful" (that's a nice way of saying tight-fisted, which is what my family call me).

I always check pricing before buying and factor in P&P charges, and have never bought clothes. This maybe where the luck comes in - even high street clothes sizes differ from shop to shop, and I've even found that two identical items in the same size will be different most of the time. If I don't try on first in a shop, I tend to only buy if I know I'll be going back within their returns period. It would cost me a fortune to buy clothes from QVC with their postage charges, so I don't! To be honest, with all the flack some of the ranges have had on here I've never even been tempted to look at the shows.

Off topic, slightly, but it took almost a year to get a complaint settled by John Lewis, and that was after many lengthy emails to management. Q's CS has been 100% better for me (and now I've said that out loud, I'll probably have a run of bad luck!).

Exactly what you've said are the reasons for returning under DSR and let's be honest Q know this and have it built in to their items factoring a percentage of DSR returns so it won't harm them too much and it's their choice to sell clothes so therefore DSR returns will always be in their consideration, if they were not making money they would stop selling clothes.

My father worked at the top of international retail and I can assure you returning under DSR is nothing, you should hear some of the things customers got and get up to on the high street it's quite incredible and ingenious how dishonest and disgusting people can be, compared to them Q have it easy lol!!

I really hope you haven't tempted fate lol! You really don't want to have to experience the verging on, if not illegal things I've had to deal with courtesy of Q! Both John Lewis and HoF I've never had a minutes problem with them and find their whole service to be the best by far and in a different league to Q, John Lewis is premier league and Q is in fact probably at the bottom of league two:mysmilie_15: let's hope I haven't tempted fate too!!

Nobody is perfect but I just wish Q put in a bit more effort, it's not their staff it's their management, like the things you have experienced when Q are good they are very good but when they are bad, too often for me the last year or so, they are seriously beyond bad, I would like them to strike a balance!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back