"The shopping channel bubble!"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ben Mosley was selling that Triple DECT Phone Set that has been advertised to death as the Technology Pick of The Week this Thursday for £59.99 (but is available to order now online).

He had 13, he explained the features for a good few minutes but before they even shown the price he virtually sold out.

It went for £79.99, crazy people.

Ben Mosley was selling that Triple DECT Phone Set that has been advertised to death as the Technology Pick of The Week this Thursday for £59.99 (but is available to order now online).

He had 13, he explained the features for a good few minutes but before they even shown the price he virtually sold out.

It went for £79.99, crazy people.

This for me is the worse side of Bid and remind me of a market stall that create a massive buzz, wait until they get lots of interest then people panic buy without noticing the price isn't as good as it first seemed. They seem to be enjoying limbo dancing all the time now. How low can they go, how low can they go .....

just as I thought they'd decided to ditch their "dodgy £10 voucher deals" 'cause I haven't seen one for ages, it seems they're back, and by the looks of it even more difficult to come by - this time, they want you to purchase three items in the space of 24 hrs to qualify, and as you can't accrue a "basket" any more, that's a whopping £23.97 in p&p alone, and if you're daft enough to phone - add another £4.59 in phone calls! - and of course, the one thing that hasn't changed, is that the vouchers are still nigh on impossible to redeem, well without it costing you another small fortune!

This for me is the worse side of Bid and remind me of a market stall that create a massive buzz, wait until they get lots of interest then people panic buy without noticing the price isn't as good as it first seemed. They seem to be enjoying limbo dancing all the time now. How low can they go, how low can they go .....

I don't think you could even class it as a panic buy PJ. He must have talked about the phones for a good 3-4 minutes before the price appeared, by which time there were only 3 left.

Why they didn't show the price for so long is a bit suspicious but I think anyone who makes a purchase without having even been informed of the price needs their head looking at, unless they had seen those adverts and assumed it was going to go for £59.99? :confused2:

But the advert is on Bid, this was on Price Drop.

Last edited:

......And me. People will buy ****** anything it seems, if you panic them into it. I'm still in shock over the Betty Boop perfume...If I remember people were paying nearly £20 for something you could pick up for £3 on a market stall!

Last edited:
......And me. People will buy ****** anything it seems, if you panic them into it. I'm still in shock over the Betty Boop perfume...If I remember people were paying well over £20 for something you could pick up for £3 on a market stall!

As you know i'm no defender of Sit Up but in this case I don't think they were even pressured really.

I can only assume they might have seen the advert on Bid for them going for £59.99 and assumed that would be the price, or they must have more money than sense! Eitherway they wasted £20 but I would love to know why they took so long to show a price.

They seem to be doing this practice more and more of selling with no indication of what price it will be. They should at least out something up so people know what it won't be dearer than ...

Yes as adults we shouldn't be taken in by it, the trouble is a lot of bid's customers are venerable and can't understand that and big do bid know that. They compound this with the we are best mates routine and keep on and on about trusting them on price before it comes up.

PJ

I would NEVER ring in, or click "buy now" before the price went down to an amount I would consider to be decent value...I've made that mistake before and never again. I bid early on a make up set that had historically been sold for about £8 or £9 but on this day it closed on £21.99! I was absolutely gutted - and to add insult to injury the make up was of the worst quality that one could possibly imagine. Thankfully, it was so bad that I returned it and got a full refund including postage both ways- I just think people must be crazy to bid early, as the more people who do this are just driving the price up.

I would NEVER ring in, or click "buy now" before the price went down to an amount I would consider to be decent value...I've made that mistake before and never again. I bid early on a make up set that had historically been sold for about £8 or £9 but on this day it closed on £21.99! I was absolutely gutted - and to add insult to injury the make up was of the worst quality that one could possibly imagine. Thankfully, it was so bad that I returned it and got a full refund including postage both ways- I just think people must be crazy to bid early, as the more people who do this are just driving the price up.

I totally agree, I bet none of them would buy something in a 'real' shop without first knowing the price!

Dirty Peter keeps repeatedly saying the Towel Set comes with two Bath Sheets.

Actually it comes with two Bath Towels, it barely wrapped around him!

Last edited:
They seem to be doing this practice more and more of selling with no indication of what price it will be. They should at least out something up so people know what it won't be dearer than ...

Yes as adults we shouldn't be taken in by it, the trouble is a lot of bid's customers are venerable and can't understand that and big do bid know that. They compound this with the we are best mates routine and keep on and on about trusting them on price before it comes up.

PJ

I definitely agree that it's not sensible to buy an item
before Knowing the final price, but I don't know how
you can categorically state that 'a lot of Bid's customers
are vulnerable'. How do you know this for a fact?

PJ

The UN should do something for these poor unsuspecting customers who have no choice but to buy things... "yawn"

I definitely agree that it's not sensible to buy an item
before Knowing the final price, but I don't know how
you can categorically state that 'a lot of Bid's customers
are vulnerable'. How do you know this for a fact?

Because I have met a few that I would put into that category ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back