When it's gone, it's gone.
No-brainer
Value
Ruching detail that we see there
Literally
I need you on those 'phones
I have x amount available
Flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahs
Not forgetting-coming through with Glen Campbell!

Julius, can you please amend to "bang on trend" so that it can be formally entered into the dictionary entitled "Stupid, Hollow, Imbecilic, Turgid phrases" (no acronyms allowed). I caught possibly the first "bang on trend" of 2016 about 6 weeks ago, and it was like hearing the first cuckoo, and that probably describes the person who said it....

Chatoyancy
Faux
Phenolic handles
Gifting
On trend
Going through
Price point
Hero product
Corsage
Décolleté
Pick-me-up
No-brainer
Value
Literally
Flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahs

Last edited:
Don't forget "colour way" how ridiculous is that, what a waste of words, just say "colour!" "colour!" it's enough! :mysmilie_13:

Fabrication

That is far and away the most unforgivable of their ridiculous vocabulary of missused words... mind you others that really annoy for their grating grammar or logic

Advanced orders bugs the heck out of me

tap the app

jump to the phones

table top dressing

dress it up dress it down

singulars of words which are meant to be plural (wear it with a cropped trouser, wear it with a slip-on shoe...) - it doesn't sound cool, it sounds stupid.

idealistically ( they usually mean ideally)

The daft bint on MB was going on about it being aspirational - it's only hand wash.

Now something I haven't heard for a long time is clothes being suitable for someone in a wheelchair (from DBF on Yong Kim) - I remember this being a favourite years ago, blast from the past.

Fabrication

According to a friend of mine who works in the garment trade, to them "fabrication" refers to the process of selecting fabrics for a particular style or the creation of a style for a particular fabric. So to say "the fabrication is soft" means that this particular fabric has been selected to make the garment style/design soft. It's the correct term for garment workers to use, which is why all the guests use it. It's the same as when people complain about Yankee Candle guests and the perfumiers referring to the "flavour" instead of the fragrance. Flavour is a term used in the fragrance industry, they mix flavours and fragrances to make perfumes. These terms sound incorrect to us because we don't work in those businesses, but they're correct in the professional context in which they're being used.

Last edited:
The Gift Draw - somewhere you keep spare products that you buy on spec because they're such a bargain and you want to have them in, just in case a friend drops by unexpectedly and you're so pleased to see them, you feel compelled to give them a present!

Chatoyancy
Faux
Phenolic handles
Gifting
On trend
Going through
Price point
Hero product
Corsage
Décolleté
Pick-me-up
No-brainer
Value
Literally
Flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahs

I see no reason why the following are on this list. All are words which are long established in the English language and far from being trendy and meaningless they all have logical origins and meanings. None are "ridiculous'.

Chatoyancy : Late 18th century, from the French chatoyer - to shimmer. Derives from "cat's eyes". Used to describe a specific characteristic of the refraction of light (shimmer) by certain gemstones.

Faux : From the French meaning false. First used in English in the mid-17th century.

Phenolic handles : Refers to the kind of resin used to make the handles, i.e. phenolic resin, derived from phenols. This material means the handles stay cool when used on the hob and can be used in an oven up to 350 degrees F.

Corsage : Originated in 15th century France to describe the bodice of a woman's dress. Present day accepted use first originated in the UK and USA over 100 years ago to describe a small bunch of flowers attached to the dress bodice or woman's body.

Decollete : Late 19th century French, from Decolleter - to expose the neck. First used in English in the mid-19th century.

Ruching : From the French meaning to plait. A sewing technique that dates back to the Middle Ages, used to gather fabric or ribbon. First incorporated into English around 1850.

Last edited:
I see no reason why the following are on this list. All are words which are long established in the English language and far from being trendy and meaningless they all have logical origins and meanings. None are "ridiculous'.

Chatoyancy : Late 18th century, from the French chatoyer - to shimmer. Derives from "cat's eyes". Used to describe a specific characteristic of the refraction of light (shimmer) by certain gemstones.

Faux : From the French meaning false. First used in English in the mid-17th century.

Phenolic handles : Refers to the kind of resin used to make the handles, i.e. phenolic resin, derived from phenols. This material means the handles stay cool when used on the hob and can be used in an oven up to 350 degrees F.

Corsage : Originated in 15th century France to describe the bodice of a woman's dress. Present day accepted use first originated in the UK and USA over 100 years ago to describe a small bunch of flowers attached to the dress bodice or woman's body.

Decollete : Late 19th century French, from Decolleter - to expose the neck. First used in English in the mid-19th century.

Ruching : From the French meaning to plait. A sewing technique that dates back to the Middle Ages, used to gather fabric or ribbon. First incorporated into English around 1850.

Thank you for the definitions. I was already aware of them, however. I'm not saying that they are not correct words, they just betray a slight hint of ridiculousness on the part of the speaker. They are, for the most part, shopping telly parlance. When was the last time you went to a dinner party, Scout, and said: "Darling, I just love the chatoyancy of your necklace! Is it faux? I brought you some flaaaaaaaaahs. I must say that ruching detail there going right the way through looks lovely, especially with the corsage, there. And that little trouser you're wearing, how superb! Bang on trend! May I help you carry the fondue set to the table? Shall I get a tea towel? Oh I don't need one, that's good. PHENOLIC! The handles are phenolic! How innovative!" "Oh would you excuse me for a moment, I must jump to my telephone."

"Thank you. Here's a little something from my gift drawer. I thought I'd, you know, gift it to you, seeing as it's gifting season."

"A Thomas Pacconi nativity set! How lovely. I love the quality and attention to detail - just look at that star at the top of the tree. Scintillating! Chatoyant!"

"More After Eight mints, anyone?"

Last edited:
Why use English when a fancy French word will do.Sounds so much classier.......

I wouldn't have a clue what several of those words mean without looking them up so that in itself is annoying.

Why use English when a fancy French word will do.Sounds so much classier.......

I wouldn't have a clue what several of those words mean without looking them up so that in itself is annoying.

I'm fine with French words. But then I have a degree in French. Just imagine if we didn't use them? The whole tone of our dinner party would change:

"Darling I just love the glitz of your necklace! Is it fake?"

"Oh you've got plastic handles on your pan! For years I've been burning my hands on metal handles. Note to self: Get pans with plastic handles!

What are those slacks you're wearing? And what's that funny little flower thing on your top. Looks like a rosette. Have you won a prize for your fashion?

I actually prefer the above conversation. Sounds like something Alexis from Dynasty would have said.

The use of the word "fabrication"'and "gifting" may be an acceptable words but they just sound stupid, not words most people would use in everyday life, not to mention the looks you'd get if you walked into Next and said "can I take a bottle of your perfume, I'm gifting it and what's the fabrication of this top please?" no just doesn't sound right, just shows yet again how QVC are out of touch with the QVC customer, it's not clever and it's not good.

Last edited:
Using the internal jargon of a specific industry on-air even though it's correct in that context, is lazy. The presenters and guests can't be bothered or are unable to translate the jargon into words that are appropriate in the context of selling.

Buttery soft
Un...............Believable. Dale F's favourite
Absolutely Superb - most items according to Gilly H
Plant.....and stand back Richard Jackson auditioning for a part in Jack and the Beanstalk
Clinically tested

Buttery soft
Un...............Believable. Dale F's favourite
Absolutely Superb - most items according to Gilly H
Plant.....and stand back Richard Jackson auditioning for a part in Jack and the Beanstalk
Clinically tested

I'd forgotten about "buttery soft." A handbag made of butter would be more useless than a chocolate teapot.

Latest posts

Back