Ridiculous words / phrases

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

DF and the Mayfair manor woman are stroking the bedding for all they're worth and sure enough DF has used the phrase puppies ears to describe the feel of it.

the mayfair manor womans manner is doing me in. she said you could easily put a "1" in front of the prices the quality is sooo good. what for spun polyester

"Volumous"
And anything a presenter says that claims they have great customer service ;)
And decolletage - I hear so many different version of this.
I don't mind the Flaaars lady but "folidge" (instead of foliage) annoys me.
And the general poor grammar and making up words such as "littler", yes, you, Claire!

Also, I'm sure they use the industry-speak words to try and convince viewers that they're not just utter airheads.

View attachment 11176

Well it don't work.

according to kathy taylor we should be leaping into summer...mmm!

While it's still winter - yeah right! Wishful thinking on her part, I think - and mine too, for that matter. I really wish it were spring or summer. I am SICK TO DEATH of the cold mornings and the grey, drab, miserable f***ing weather. I think the clocks go forward in a few weeks from now, so that will be nice. I went to Chiswick Park on Sunday and saw all the daffodils were up, so it's getting there. I might go back again this Sunday. I like Chiswick House and Gardens. The lanterns from the Chinese festival should be all gone by then, too.

What colour are we calling this?

You are so right, they DO say that! Thinking about it, it just sounds like a really odd thing to say, like they are somehow disconnected from the audience, producers and buyers etc. "What are we calling this?" What do you ****** well THINK, eh?! Why can't they ask that question off-air, then they would seem less condescending and ill-informed.

The other day Julia Roberts spoke of some pink Lola Rose quartz as "having the quality of chatoyancy" and "refracting the light." Firstly the stone, while pleasant enough, was hardly very shiny, in fact it was quite dull, it did not REFRACT the light. For light to refract I'm sure it has to pass through one transparent medium, then through another (ie diamonds and air, or water and air) etc. The quartz had a slight sheen on it from being tumbled, nothing but was far from being "chatoyant. "

DF and the Mayfair manor woman are stroking the bedding for all they're worth and sure enough DF has used the phrase puppies ears to describe the feel of it.

They have been using that phrase when feeling make up brushes too!

QVC presenters (including Queen Julia) need to understand the terms they use before they use them.... Chatoyancy is the "cats eye" effect. Not something you would experience with quartz crystals.

QVC presenters (including Queen Julia) need to understand the terms they use before they use them.... Chatoyancy is the "cats eye" effect. Not something you would experience with quartz crystals.

EXACTLY! You got it! There was no flash of light, just a subtle, opaque sort of sheen - hardly chatoyancy at all. I guess diamonds are chatoyant, and Dianomique / cubic zirconia too.

The "suitable for someone in a wheelchair" is typical of the patronising carp we have come to expect from certain presenters.
The daft bint on MB was going on about it being aspirational - it's only hand wash.

Now something I haven't heard for a long time is clothes being suitable for someone in a wheelchair (from DBF on Yong Kim) - I remember this being a favourite years ago, blast from the past.

They know they are talking cobblers the majority of the time, but they hope they cover it up by using vocabulary which they think makes them sound knowledgeable.

Some of it stems from what are clearly regular "brainstorming sessions" where new phrases and buzzwords are agreed and suddenly deployed in the most unsubtle manner. Thing is with technical language, it really should be explained, and used appropriately. Knowing a bright shiny new word is all very well, but use it accurately... if not, it's the equivalent of Derek Trotter's use of French words and phrases to sound sophisticated... But without the lovability of the character misusing the words.

While it's still winter - yeah right! Wishful thinking on her part, I think - and mine too, for that matter. I really wish it were spring or summer. I am SICK TO DEATH of the cold mornings and the grey, drab, miserable f***ing weather. I think the clocks go forward in a few weeks from now, so that will be nice. I went to Chiswick Park on Sunday and saw all the daffodils were up, so it's getting there. I might go back again this Sunday. I like Chiswick House and Gardens. The lanterns from the Chinese festival should be all gone by then, too.

This is how I feel. Winter seems to get longer every year - from a miserable end of Oct through to a cold blustery April.

This is how I feel. Winter seems to get longer every year - from a miserable end of Oct through to a cold blustery April.

I know. It's horrible :( Still only a few weeks until the clocks go forward, hopefully heralding the arrival of longer, warmer days. I just went to the gym and sat in the sauna and steam rooms after swimming. I tried to visualise being on a beach on a hot summer's day. Then these 2 Russian men came in and started talking really loudly to each other so I had to get out of there. I wish there were a "no speaking" rule there as some people just want to relax / meditate.

Here's a lovely song for you, Eric's Mum, and all the other people awaiting the advent of Spring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orGaxRJbVTY

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back