Ridiculous words / phrases

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The word 'proud' used by Richard Jackson about every product that has his name on and used over and I over again when talking about his products. So annoying.

The word 'proud' used by Richard Jackson about every product that has his name on and used over and I over again when talking about his products. So annoying.

I think "smug" would be a better word for that irritating little raspy-voiced gnomette! Let's hope his pride comes before a fall and that one day he trips over a tree root and tumbles into a ravine, never to be see again.

According to a friend of mine who works in the garment trade, to them "fabrication" refers to the process of selecting fabrics for a particular style or the creation of a style for a particular fabric. So to say "the fabrication is soft" means that this particular fabric has been selected to make the garment style/design soft. It's the correct term for garment workers to use, which is why all the guests use it. It's the same as when people complain about Yankee Candle guests and the perfumiers referring to the "flavour" instead of the fragrance. Flavour is a term used in the fragrance industry, they mix flavours and fragrances to make perfumes. These terms sound incorrect to us because we don't work in those businesses, but they're correct in the professional context in which they're being used.
I always thought fabrication meant someone had made up a story or told a fib of course we get plenty of that on Q.

I'm fine with French words. But then I have a degree in French. Just imagine if we didn't use them?

I don't mind the French words either as long as they are pronounced properly, or something like they should sound. Yes, new lady guest for Leighton Denny, I'm talking to you - look up how Haute Couture is pronounced instead of saying "Hawker-chore".

"Volumous"
And anything a presenter says that claims they have great customer service ;)
And decolletage - I hear so many different version of this.
I don't mind the Flaaars lady but "folidge" (instead of foliage) annoys me.
And the general poor grammar and making up words such as "littler", yes, you, Claire!

Also, I'm sure they use the industry-speak words to try and convince viewers that they're not just utter airheads.

12705623_565757316934184_1945865235594424457_n.jpg

Dales favourite people are jumping on the phones the vision it conjurs up is amusing:mysmilie_14:

Can I add "STOCK UP" - noooo, I already have a small box with things that I'm trying to use up or give out as pressies! Thankfully, I have now seen sense and curtailed my spending :mysmilie_5:

delivery within 3-5 working days.

not available in the stores.

flower power 2nd most popular plant food. the first is miracle grow and it costs £8 a kilo. flower power £25 a kilo ?

Thank you for the definitions. I was already aware of them, however. I'm not saying that they are not correct words, they just betray a slight hint of ridiculousness on the part of the speaker. They are, for the most part, shopping telly parlance.

They are not, and if you think that then you clearly lead a very sheltered life. I doubt there are any women's magazines that don't have the word decollete in them several times each issue. As a teenager, before you were born, I was always told to protect my decollete from the sun to avoid premature aging. I have ordered many corsages over the years for all the weddings I have attended, and any florist will tell you that corsages are a staple of their business. Anyone who has ever made a child's party dress or halloween outfit will almost certainly have done some ruching. My grandmother always used to refer to things being "faux", and she was born in 1899, long before television, let alone shopping telly. I know you think you're terribly witty Julius, but go out and experience the world and you'll discover that educated people use these words as part of their normal conversation.

'Use it, wear it, wash it under our 30 day NO QUIBBLE MBG.... :mysmilie_19:

They are not, and if you think that then you clearly lead a very sheltered life. I doubt there are any women's magazines that don't have the word decollete in them several times each issue. As a teenager, before you were born, I was always told to protect my decollete from the sun to avoid premature aging. I have ordered many corsages over the years for all the weddings I have attended, and any florist will tell you that corsages are a staple of their business. Anyone who has ever made a child's party dress or halloween outfit will almost certainly have done some ruching. My grandmother always used to refer to things being "faux", and she was born in 1899, long before television, let alone shopping telly. I know you think you're terribly witty Julius, but go out and experience the world and you'll discover that educated people use these words as part of their normal conversation.

Thank you for your comments, Scout. I did state that the words are, "for the most part" shopping telly parlance, therefore in no way did I indicate that they are exclusively so. I may not have been around quite as long as other members of this forum, however I am not that young any more and am far from ignorant or uneducated. I speak French fluently and have seen a fair bit of life. My final year at university saw me do a project on the various "emprunts" - words and phrases we borrow from French. I will never forget toiling over a book entitled "Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense" for 8 months, night after night for my dissertation. Emprunts are not a one-way street either - French borrow a fair few things from English, too. It's not something the French are keen on, and there are frequent meetings and debates at the Académie Francaise about it. There is a whole level of protection / preservation of the French language enshrined in French law. I don't blame them, either. Emprunts from English into French sound clunky and awful. I balk at hearing about "du stop," "un crumble" or "un mug." It just doesn't seem quite right somehow. It always amuses me in the métro when they have adverts for instant soup with slogans such as: "rien que remuer dans un mug*" and at the bottom will be the translation of the asterisked word = "*=cup."
Emprunts from French into English tend to serve an altogether different purpose, one that is more euphemistic. Speaking of "faux" pearls or diamonds has less of a sneer / bias than "fake" or "false" would. It's not that they don't crop up in certain situations, I'm sure they do - jewellery fairs, high level functions, design meetings etc, but among ordinary people in everyday conversation they certainly do not. To describe something as "chatoyant" in French is quite passable, whereas in English, outside of a handful of situations, it carries overtones of pretentiousness. I would argue the same with "décolleté." Nothing wrong with it as a word - I quite like it - but what is wrong with "chest?" The answer is simple: nothing particularly, except "chest" is a little direct and inelegant, and not terribly feminine. One never hears of a man talking about HIS décolleté either. A man in France would use: "poitrine."

As for "ruching," per se - this is fine. My mother was a dressmaker and I knew that word from an early age. What I was poking fun at in my list was Glen Campbell's turn of phrase: "ruching detail that we see there," which is the fashion equivalent of Alison Young's "face area." I am surprised at your quoting out of context and blatant misreading of what I wrote.

There is nothing wrong with these words we have looked at. I love words and am all for learning more and more every day. I don't think it's wrong to look at their usage. It's also perfectly possible to know and understand what these words mean without using them, and that not using them does not render someone ignorant or uneducated. I think most people on this forum would bear me out in that many of these shopping telly words are slightly ridiculous and outmoded - some of them more than others. I think it's fine to question and poke fun at them. That's what this thread is all about - not extrapolating and making judgements and implications about other posters. I suppose it's fair enough to say that language changes over time with each generation. Nowadays in France there is much talk of "les stars" whereas in the past one would have heard of "les vedettes." In any case I respect that you have your experience, and I respect that I have mine.

Last edited:
exclusive to QVC

Of course we badly need the small print on that particular phrase :mysmilie_11:

On the subject of technical words used in presentations, I would say this: by all means use them, but explain them. You cannot assume all your viewers will know what you are talking about, and nor should you. The primary purpose of the presentations of products should be to inform your viewers so they can make informed decisions. Using technical terminology, jargon, words not in common usage in English is alienating to your viewers - they are outsiders... to me it's as inconsiderate and rude as in jokes and talking about people the viewer doesn't know (Jill Franks is the worst for this, in my experience). How is it a good sales ploy to make any of your viewers feel ignorant, stupid or confused?

Latest posts

Back