Random musings/no argument zone

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Here's another Philip Mercier review that I have cut and pasted from Amazon;

''I was excited to receive my eagerly awaited Phillip Mercier watch. I loved the colour, and it clipped nicely to my uniform....... imagine my disappointment when the first time i went to set the time the "adjustment wheel" came off in my hand. On investigation it would have cost more to return than to buy another. Back to Argos in the future. Not impressed!!!!!!''

Rock on James!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
To describe them the way he does is preposterous, it is generic white label cheapie, nothing wrong with that but to comment on the 'craftsmanship' is ridiculous. I honestly think he gets a kick out of the BS, he almost seems to smirk.

Enjoy it while you can James

Could not agree more. Right on the nail.

I wouldn't care that they sell cheap watches, if only they didn't come up with a load of crap about them.
You don't see online or high street retailers claim craftmanship or history of watches they sell for a couple of tenners.

I'm trending over old ground here, but I mean, come on...

Here's just one more Philip Mercier review and then I'll give it a rest;

''Philip Mercier Men's Quartz Watch-SML47/A (Watch)
Maybe I was unlucky, but the watch wasn't going when it arrived. I changed the battery, but even with the new one it stopped a couple of times in the first 2 or 3 days I wore it, so I'm not sure I trust it. Maybe the mechanism was stiff, or something. The worst thing was the strap, though - it disintegrated inside 4 days. The wee loops both fell off, and the fold around the buckle came apart. At 11 pounds it's not really worth the hassle of sending it back, so I changed the strap too. Not very impressive.''

I agree with others that it's preposterous that Russell is allowed to bull this stuff up in the way he does. I wonder when Ofcom will report on their investigation.

To describe them the way he does is preposterous, it is a generic white label cheapie as proven by Argos and their 'Constant' range. Theres nothing really wrong with such products but to comment on the 'craftsmanship and brand' is ridiculous. I honestly think he gets a kick out of the BS, he almost seems to smirk. Enjoy it while you can James

Exactly. Nothing wrong with a cheap watch. Like trying to compare Grimsby with New York. Nothing wrong with the former it is a lovely place but it ain't the Big Apple ...

Sent from my Vodafone 354 using Forum Runner *meep meep*

Yes, I can also vouch for the crapness of the Phillip Mercier name, I don't know why they even bother putting a name to it, as it's obviously been botched together in a factory in the far east.
I bought the watch with interchangeable straps when it was deal of the day. The quality was appalling. The straps - Well I've had thicker carrier bags, they didn't stay on properly either, and the metal bezels were only painted on one side, the underside was like some kind of industrial metal, that quite frankly would wouldn't want within an inch of your skin...NASTY NASTY NASTY and not worth returning because of the ridiculous p&p charges, even though I could have claimed a full refund due to bad quality, think of all the costly phonecalls I would have had to have made!

When selling an 'Olde Apothecary Store' gift set Dirty Peter says 'you'll see these at big department stores'.

Would he care to name one?

Peter Simon says they wanted £69.99 for the first piece of white ice, your getting 3 diamonds (0.03ct) and 16g of sterling silver we have lost out shirts at £31.99 we have to roll the clock, we have to roll the clock, plunges to £29.99....we have taken an absolute slapping here, we expected nigh on £70 quid

Next piece consists of 4.8g of sterling silver and a massive 0.01ct diamond pendant

At £24.99, we have taken a clobbering here, we expected it to go around the £70 mark

plunges to £19.99, we have taken another hammering here, on the silver alone, this is a costume jewellery price

not only beauty, not only a collection, not only a romance, collection, inspiration that touches the heart, that is spectacular

next piece was a 0.03ct 6.25g sterling silver cross pendant, I think this is 1 of the most charming pieces I've come across in years

at £49.99 can I say just buy this, just buy it, it is a spectacular piece, you have 5 diamonds, that it quite exxxtrodinnnnary

at £24.99 if you can buy it, you won't have seen anything like it before, its a spectacular look to the neckline

at £19.99 that is for me the ultimate in design piece, that is spectacular

This is a piece your going to wear everyday not only because I've never seen anything like it before the love warmth romance, the thoughts the prayers, the people we care for, its quite magnificent with 5 diamonds

Final piece was a 0.02ct diamond, 5.3g sterling silver pendant

Its not only a diamond pendant, not only on a chain, not only with the 2 diamonds

this is romance, perfection, beauty

at £19.99 that with diamonds, you can not go wrong at that kind of buy, they are a message, not only of a fine romance, of exquisite taste, they are spectacular

When selling an 'Olde Apothecary Store' gift set Dirty Peter says 'you'll see these at big department stores'.

Would he care to name one?

He also said something about them containing natural ingredients. Really? They look particularly cheap and nasty to me, like something you'd see collecting dust in a grubby chemist's shop, selling for a couple of quid.

Megadrop, I know Peter Simon talks utter crap, but to see it all written down like that.... Astonishing!

Megadrop, I know Peter Simon talks utter crap, but to see it all written down like that.... Astonishing!

He not only said plenty more but I can't type as fast as he speaks and not only then when he stops half way through a sentence it makes it hard to keep up

They took another slapping with a watch straight after too so they must have lost a fortune tonight

Yes, I can also vouch for the crapness of the Phillip Mercier name, I don't know why they even bother putting a name to it, as it's obviously been botched together in a factory in the far east.
I bought the watch with interchangeable straps when it was deal of the day. The quality was appalling. The straps - Well I've had thicker carrier bags, they didn't stay on properly either, and the metal bezels were only painted on one side, the underside was like some kind of industrial metal, that quite frankly would wouldn't want within an inch of your skin...NASTY NASTY NASTY and not worth returning because of the ridiculous p&p charges, even though I could have claimed a full refund due to bad quality, think of all the costly phonecalls I would have had to have made!

well i have to disagree. Philip Mercier watches are really well known in the nursing industry as they make fob watches or 'nurses watches'. they are affordable, good quality and nice designs i have had one for years and it has been excellent as have many of my friends and colleagues. i always think BID are missing a trick by not mentioning they make nurses watches. surely that is a great usp!! if nurses watches have to be anything its quality and reliable!!

I also think it is a touch unfair the way that only negative reviews have been posted about these watches. i think you can find unhappy customers for almost every brand. if you spend too long on trip adviser you probably wont actually go on holiday lol. there are tons of 5 star reviews all over amazon (i would post them but as the previous poster had to scroll past them to find the bad ones i suspect we all know that they are there) happy satisfied customers who are thrilled with the quality and design of their watch.yet not a mention? a bit misleading perhaps? or just more desperate sensationalism?

well i have to disagree. Philip Mercier watches are really well known in the nursing industry as they make fob watches or 'nurses watches'. they are affordable, good quality and nice designs i have had one for years and it has been excellent as have many of my friends and colleagues. i always think BID are missing a trick by not mentioning they make nurses watches. surely that is a great usp!! if nurses watches have to be anything its quality and reliable!!

I also think it is a touch unfair the way that only negative reviews have been posted about these watches. i think you can find unhappy customers for almost every brand. if you spend too long on trip adviser you probably wont actually go on holiday lol. there are tons of 5 star reviews all over amazon (i would post them but as the previous poster had to scroll past them to find the bad ones i suspect we all know that they are there) happy satisfied customers who are thrilled with the quality and design of their watch.yet not a mention? a bit misleading perhaps? or just more desperate sensationalism?

I can't say I'm surprised that you disagree with me on this one - You normally do! All I can say is that I hope that the company puts more effort into producing the "nurses watches" than they do for the ones designed for Joe Public! Crikey, knowing that's enough to put my pulse up a couple of notches. Thank heavens they don't do life support machines that's all I can say!

I dunno about desperate sensationalism, but you seem just as desperate to contradict anything bad said against Bid and it's products!

ooops - this is a no argument zone isn't it....sorry x

Peter Sherlock was extolling the virtues of buying in bulk and cutting out the middleman so they can offer great prices. That makes sense to me.

However, would he care to explain how on earth they can charge, when they ARE a middleman, much less than Skin Pharmacy & Laurelle do direct? (and of course regularly point this 'fact' out during a sale). Sometimes they sell for as much as 5 or 6 times less?

I think we know the answer Peter.

He not only said plenty more but I can't type as fast as he speaks and not only then when he stops half way through a sentence it makes it hard to keep up

They took another slapping with a watch straight after too so they must have lost a fortune tonight

it's a wonder he is employed seeing as they lose money everytime he is on

note: only according to him... elisa portelli foreman... and assistants... basically no-one of substance.

I can't say I'm surprised that you disagree with me on this one - You normally do! All I can say is that I hope that the company puts more effort into producing the "nurses watches" than they do for the ones designed for Joe Public! Crikey, knowing that's enough to put my pulse up a couple of notches. Thank heavens they don't do life support machines that's all I can say!

I dunno about desperate sensationalism, but you seem just as desperate to contradict anything bad said against Bid and
it's products!

ooops - this is a no argument zone isn't it....sorry x

I own one and I am really happy with it. I think that entitles me to comment. Your right I do defend BID when I think they are being treated unfairly. And scrolling past glowing reviews in order to copy and paste a series of bad ones so you can manipulate peoples opinion about quality is without doubt unfair. I appreciate you had a bad experience with this brand. But others have had the opposite. In the name of a fair and balanced discussion I feel both perspectives should be presented.

Unfortunately it's not fashionable to have anything good to say about bid tv on here. It usually results in insults and arguments.

Also I was surprised nobody liked the White Ice jewellery Peter had last night. I thought it was really nice and well packaged with good silver weights and reasonable prices. But the discussion was about the size of the accent diamonds? There is a similar range I have seen before on the high St, I can't remember the name but it was much more expensive with similar size stones.

Latest posts

Back