Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If they actually are going to get a new studio at the end of January, let’s hope they have some better products to sell in there. The parade of unknown branded tat that infests their goods line ups is just so uninspiring to watch. Some fitness equipment, some decent tech, some branded clothing, gardening type stuff, DIY… should all now be possible to sell with the demonstrating space (maybe a garden area, too?) new premises will allow. No more cuddle blankets, surplus stock from out of date films, canes, perfume with funny names etc..The channel hopefully can establish (if it is allowed to do) its own products identity, and cease being an outlet store for The Jewellery Channel’s non-jewellery items.

If they actually are going to get a new studio at the end of January, let’s hope they have some better products to sell in there. The parade of unknown branded tat that infests their goods line ups is just so uninspiring to watch. Some fitness equipment, some decent tech, some branded clothing, gardening type stuff, DIY… should all now be possible to sell with the demonstrating space (maybe a garden area, too?) new premises will allow. No more cuddle blankets, surplus stock from out of date films, canes, perfume with funny names etc..The channel hopefully can establish (if it is allowed to do) its own products identity, and cease being an outlet store for The Jewellery Channel’s non-jewellery items.
I seriously doubt this will ever happen. It's back to the same old issue for them, if they start to feature better brands and products that might be more expensive than their current (mostly cheaper) offerings, they'll struggle to compete price wise with online. The only way that might work (lower margins due to offering competitive pricing) is if they can shift significant quantities of stuff. How realistic is that? They can maybe shift 100s of an unbranded bag for £29.99, but can they shift 100s of e.g. a half decent vacuum cleaner at a price that competes with online? And if they offer it at a higher price (to cover their costs and make a bit more profit) they'd maybe shift dozens not 100s.

I reckon QVC is now the only channel that can offer decent brands, how their prices compare with competitors I don't know, have never paid that much attention.

In my opinion, IW will never and can never return to what it was product range wise.

I seriously doubt this will ever happen. It's back to the same old issue for them, if they start to feature better brands and products that might be more expensive than their current (mostly cheaper) offerings, they'll struggle to compete price wise with online. The only way that might work (lower margins due to offering competitive pricing) is if they can shift significant quantities of stuff. How realistic is that? They can maybe shift 100s of an unbranded bag for £29.99, but can they shift 100s of e.g. a half decent vacuum cleaner at a price that competes with online? And if they offer it at a higher price (to cover their costs and make a bit more profit) they'd maybe shift dozens not 100s.

I reckon QVC is now the only channel that can offer decent brands, how their prices compare with competitors I don't know, have never paid that much attention.

In my opinion, IW will never and can never return to what it was product range wise.
I agree with what you say. And that is why shopping television channels in general will struggle to survive. Young people are very price aware and aren’t taken in by ridiculous indirect price comparisons as some older shoppers are prepared to be. Younger people in general are also very brand aware and they don’t want cheap unknown brands. they’ve never heard of. Carrying on this way long-term when their core audience dies off, will kill the lesser type channels too, ultimately. QVC may survive, but I think even they will struggle once the older market is no longer there.

I agree with what you say. And that is why shopping television channels in general will struggle to survive. Young people are very price aware and aren’t taken in by ridiculous indirect price comparisons as some older shoppers are prepared to be. Younger people in general are also very brand aware and they don’t want cheap unknown brands. they’ve never heard of. Carrying on this way long-term when their core audience dies off, will kill the lesser type channels too, ultimately. QVC may survive, but I think even they will struggle once the older market is no longer there.
The coffee shop Puccinos on Richmond Station had this slogan on its wall. The first bit was complicated jargon around targeting generations and families, the punchline being "so when you snuff it your kids will keep buying our stuff"! Always made me laugh.

Somehow I don't this will apply with the likes of some selly telly channels.

If they actually are going to get a new studio at the end of January, let’s hope they have some better products to sell in there. The parade of unknown branded tat that infests their goods to present line ups is just so uninspiring to watch. Some fitness equipment, some decent tech, some branded clothing, gardening type stuff should all now be possible to sell with the space (maybe a garden area, too?) new premises will allow. No more cuddle blankets, surplus stock from out of date films, canes, perfume with funny names etc..The channel hopefully can establish (if it is allowed to do) its own products identity, and cease being an outlet store for The Jewellery Channel’s non-jewellery items.
Most shopping channels will be gone by 2030 it’s a something younger people will not use!
Online shopping dominates now,even QVC will feel the squeeze in the future they don’t move with the times.
Will be very suprised if Pedro and co last 12 months 🤔

If every man and his dog wants this £29.99 ladies bourgcoat in his show because it’s soooo popular as Sally says. How come it hasn’t sold out in previous shows.
Here she goes again another not direct comparison of £130.
it’s so warm for winter she says.
i challenge anyone to go outside in a winter wind and not freeze to death in the darn thing. I also wouldn’t recommend wearing it in the rain.
Its a fashion item at best.
Aparently it’s only normally sold in high end stores for far more money, which is odd cos I have à bourgcoat bommer jacket bought in Matalan about 7 years ago and it’s warm as long as there’s no wind and I honestly dread to think what would happen if I wore it outside in the rain.

Youngsters don’t even buy clothes from shops anymore, even me in my mid 40s I dont

There are many companies who only sell online with massive discounts
Christmas pressie buying for my family is now all about sharing web links.
my son, daughter and Daughter in law use links I’ve at least heard of. The next generation down give web links I know zilch about but just have to trust I’m buying something they will be happy to receive 😝
My daughter in laws eldest just had a baby shower, we were sent a link to an online list of items to buy No visits to any shop required.

Last edited:
Christmas pressie buying for my family is now all about sharing web links.
my son, daughter and Daughter in law use links I’ve at least heard of. The next generation down give web links I know zilch about but just have to trust I’m buying something they will be happy to receive 😝
My daughter in laws eldest just had a baby shower, we were sent a link to an online list of items to buy No visits to any shop required.
I watch a lot of Fashion Vlogs on youtube

Haven’t seen one yet dedicated to IW Fashion

Latest posts

Back