Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mike gives a statement of support towards Lewis Capaldi

"Whatever demons you carry young man let em go you are brilliant"

A career in mental health counselling awaits for the Mason
His opinions on music are about as valid to me as his opinions on stock sell outs. He frames things like the Capaldi comment that for me achieve the very opposite of what he presumably intended. Offending anybody with a present or a past of mental health issues, rather than giving them a boost. Just get on with showing us the extra hole you drilled in your belt because you are so fit and slim..Ego on a massive stick.

IF and it is the biggest if ever you cut away all of his ego his constant self-praise smugness references to the goddess and his boy (surely he can't be a young kid anymore?) you have a decent presenter

Have to do a hell of a lot of chiselling away to find it mind

Yes. He is an enthusiastic, articulate and intelligent man - I hate to say. A great salesman at heart. But his relentless strutting around, his loud and in your face persona, his incessant need to brag (he probably doesn’t see it as that) about his life in general, and his posing like a peacock in clothes items to camera, ruin all of that for me. Talking about yourself in the third person is also a clear sign of a superiority complex, as The Duke of Cheese would agree.

It gives MIKE an excuse to dress like he is 22 again for an hour
did you see the xl belt he was advocating drilling holes in, looked to be about 40 inch waist going off him saying he was 34 inch waist.

ls it possible they could just let folk buy a belt that fits in the first place!

Hi guys. De-lurking after recently finding this highly entertaining forum with your humorous comments & observations, to see if anyone had also commented after watching the spectacular debacle that was Eric Knowles' debut on IW selling watches he knew nothing about! Nor how to sell or present!

And then I read all the other IW observations with which I also had similar thinking on.

[I have watched shopping TV since Freeview, Bid-up/price drop, QVC and IW, TJC. Etc. I have purchased twice from QVC, 2 watches 20 years apart. From IW/and their eBay discount cut-price outlet maybe 5 times (an automatic Watch that had all the functions/feature complications I wanted, IW had much cheaper drones, a mini one and a normal big one for far less than half that the £150+ ones they only sell now which don't seem much different. RJW drones.

Imho TJC is fantastic for cheap product deals (home & jewels/jewellery /cheap gifts/watches) and free p&p days (megaday, 30% off codes, etc.). And use topcashback discount on top for TJC and IW and eBay. And nectar points on eBay purchases too! I never pay p&p and wait until free or discounted). I literally do not know how TJC keep up with deliveries given the £1 auction items 24/7 closing every 5mins plus all the TV item sales!]

So here's a brain dump of my various similar IW observations, to discuss, entertain, etc.:

- Eric Knowles' main problem was the constant 'UMMM'ing and "Errring" to fill dead airtime, or his confusion. And despite being an antique expert seems to know nothing of watches, complications, batons, case types, etc . Strange. And say nothing, not "ERRRRR" to fill dead air, until you can think of something sensible and useful to say. Clearly, AR filming has the opportunity to reshoot and is nothing like Live TV presenting. It does show how the IW regulars can talk/sell on live TV, with the director's talkback in their ear and make a semblance of sense or at least normal speech, at the same time and cue in/out on time, etc.

It is a skill Eric will probably not be given the chance to learn further after that car crash initial appearance! "Thank you "Errrrrrr", "ERRRRR", <spoonerism>, repeat gallery directions verbatim, sign-off. And no arcane unrelated anecdotes!

Ok...

- The crass charlatan that is Peter Simon. Bid-up and IW. Especially in relation to watches. Credit for being a good salesman, talker. His initial monologues, pretty much off the cuff, "the exquisite gift of time", the "horological masterpiece that is this wonder of engineering", etc. Remind me a bit of the Les Dawson comedy monologues "the stars shining in the fundament..." etc. Lol. Etc.
Overuse constantly of "remarkable" and "extraordinary"!!! Oh this watch is Beautiful, and ohhh, how remarkable. It is an extraordinary timepiece (i.e. generic oem-branded Solartime or Alltime Chinese/swiss watch made to order for reseller brands).

His inability, after years of presenting them, to say the word Traser but STILL pronounces it "Tras-arrr". And other words mispronounced too

The misleading description of, for example, an item as only "£50 on four flexis". NO! It is £200 on 4 Flexi payments of £50 each! That is the one I would raise with ASA. Has he/IW been warned/done for that ever?

The laughable "selling fast", "not many left", "limited stock", exclusive limited edition, check out your baskets before they're gone. Classic sales technique as referenced in a recent Apprentice episode, when they try their hand at TV selling, by arch salesman Alan Sugar mentioned it himself!

- The over-designed, over-engineered monstrosity VE Vostok watches that appear to be £2-600 for a Seiko, Citizen, "Japanese movement and could get a lot cheaper for same movement without a half inch cylinder on your wrist with lots of metal and pointless gtls tubes and straps. Seem way overpriced to me.

PSimon not calling gtls tubes gaseous tritium light source, getting it wrong, garbling it often.

Kevin his oppo a poor presenter, no rapport, repeating the same phone number ending, the awful 2 man intro. And the nodding dog agreement to PS absurd comments.

Apart from knowing a lots of watch brands he's hawked over the years, PS still seems to know very little about watches, beyond the Geneva watch show and a few industry terms he's picked up.

They never rotate the unidirectional bezel or demonstrate the watch nor describe the complications to any useful extent. Beyond starting the chronograph stopwatch.

- the Chinese watch brands that resurface old UK brands. Swan & Edgar, Earnshaw, etc. The one registered in Woking, using the Hanowa office mock-up. You guys researched explained it better than me.

The inability of the gallery studio to spell Tourbillon correctly much of the time in the graphics. It is not Tourbillion or other variants! And other glaring spelling mistakes over the times.

- While there are sometimes cheaper items to their competitors, their excessive p&p add-on and prices are rarely competitive. Or allt least initially. I bought the gel cooling pillow 2 for £5 discount offer on IW, no p&p or free, last winter, currently 1 for £9.99 + £4+ p&p!! So pays to wait for them to discount at end of line/stock, if you can work out when that is!

E.g. currently selling cooling sport towels, (RJW drone guy), 2 for £6 + p&p , and was selling 3 for £12 +p&p
I.e. £3-4 each plus £3+ p&p!

Compared to:

i.e. £1.32 each plus 99p p&p.

As said by others, do your research.

You pays your money you take your choice.

- the watch, smile, buy tagline was awful. Glad they removed it, sounded like a shop that only sells watches... No comment!

And finally... Interesting to see how the Morajia, then Sport Direct refinancing of IW will go, but if the Peterborough site is up for sale by the owners, not the SD sub letters/tenants does that mean closure is more certain than it appears?!?!

Probably will think of more peeves, but that's your starter for ten!

did you see the xl belt he was advocating drilling holes in, looked to be about 40 inch waist going off him saying he was 34 inch waist.

ls it possible they could just let folk buy a belt that fits in the first place!

Yes indeed

but remember you can only returned undrilled goods for the 28 day money back guarantee sorry refund policy

OH GOD THERE'S A VIRTUAL SLOW-MOTION CAR CRASH HAPPENING ON IDEAL WORLD. RIGHT. NOW.

Someone has let Eric Knowles into the studio and he's now a main presenter with Jonathan as the 'watch expert'. THIS WILL ONLY END BADLY.

After messing up reading the 'ideal dot' website (OK we'll let him off doing that), Eric Knowles asks incredulously "Is NASA involved with this?" as Jonathan wheels out NASA-branded Nubeo tat; the answer of course is 'Yes' (oh dear). Eric still looks amazed as he's shown the watch: "Watches have moved on a long way in the past few years"...

Meanwhile Eric Knowles is getting confused over the watches they're going to show on camera...

Sorry, thought reply would go inline to original post from Price Plunge. I deleted but it still appended to end of this current thread. Admin can delete, or leave this...

- Eric Knowles' main problem was the constant 'UMMM'ing and "Errring" to fill dead airtime, or his confusion. And despite being an antique expert seems to know nothing of watches, complications, batons, case types, etc . Strange. And say nothing, not "ERRRRR" to fill dead air, until you can think of something sensible and useful to say. Clearly, AR filming has the opportunity to reshoot and is nothing like Live TV presenting. It does show how the IW regulars can talk/sell on live TV, with the director's talkback in their ear and make a semblance of sense or at least normal speech, at the same time and cue in/out on time, etc.

It is a skill Eric will probably not be given the chance to learn further after that car crash initial appearance! "Thank you "Errrrrrr", "ERRRRR", <spoonerism>, repeat gallery directions verbatim, sign-off. And no arcane unrelated anecdotes!

His opinions on music are about as valid to me as his opinions on stock sell outs. He frames things like the Capaldi comment that for me achieve the very opposite of what he presumably intended. Offending anybody with a present or a past of mental health issues, rather than giving them a boost. Just get on with showing us the extra hole you drilled in your belt because you are so fit and slim..Ego on a massive stick.

I thought I read Capaldi had a medical tourettes complication. Making it difficult for him to perform. Not a mental health issue, per se, and not "demons".

Yes. He is an enthusiastic, articulate and intelligent man - I hate to say. A great salesman at heart. But his relentless strutting around, his loud and in your face persona...

Just to say I think Mason is one of the better presenters on IW, like Duke's grudging acceptance implies!

Think he aims his "spiel" at the target audience and I can forgive the hyperbole, exaggeration and over-selling, and unlike others I think he mainly sticks to the facts and potential uses/benefits of products, rather than flights of fantasy or feigned incredulity and amazement at an otherwise bog-standard product.

Ok, so it's a bit "market trader" style, "ladies, not 1, not 2, but three .." as per Duke's sketches, like selling out the the back of a van down the local Pennycoat Lane market, but it's aiming at the audience at home who like that friendly cheeky chappy style. I bet his sales figures are decent, they wouldn't be there otherwise?

I remember when MM had blonde spiky hair and sympathise with the effect of losing it .. it changes your personality to some degree, I'm sure.

I rate Paul Becque similarly too as less exaggeration and more factual than most and also not constantly going "wow" or "amazing" like many others mentioned.

Have read up on some of their background profiles and a common thread as you'd expect is past experience as Red/blue/yellow coat jobs in "holiday camps" Butlins, Pontins, Warner's and cruise line entertainers or hosts. Transition to selling and in TV makes sense as a career pathway for them.

And then there's the jobbing actors... 😜

I suppose he (Ezza K.) fitted in quite nicely really, because nobody appears to know anything about watches on the channel. I think it appears at least, very much a case of him being offered a nice fee for not much work, and as a result turning up completely unprepared. He seemed completely at a loss for the task ahead of him, and at best he should have been there as the watch expert (now there's a laugh) only and NOT the presenter. In his defence, he can probably take great pride in not knowing anything about the very average watches they were selling that manifests itself at least in their minds as 'quality timepieces'. As I said, he was just so dreadfully unprepared and so completely out of touch with what was going on that you would think we'll never see him again on the channel. But that's probably a quality for a recall based on the amount of complete idiots that reappear on a regular basis.

Just to say I think Mason is one of the better presenters on IW, like Duke's grudging acceptance implies!

Think he aims his "spiel" at the target audience and I can forgive the hyperbole, exaggeration and over-selling, and unlike others I think he mainly sticks to the facts and potential uses/benefits of products, rather than flights of fantasy or feigned incredulity and amazement at an otherwise bog-standard product.

Ok, so it's a bit "market trader" style, "ladies, not 1, not 2, but three .." as per Duke's sketches, like selling out the the back of a van down the local Pennycoat Lane market, but it's aiming at the audience at home who like that friendly cheeky chappy style. I bet his sales figures are decent, they wouldn't be there otherwise?

I remember when MM had blonde spiky hair and sympathise with the effect of losing it .. it changes your personality to some degree, I'm sure.

I rate Paul Becque similarly too as less exaggeration and more factual than most and also not constantly going "wow" or "amazing" like many others mentioned.

Have read up on some of their background profiles and a common thread as you'd expect is past experience as Red/blue/yellow coat jobs in "holiday camps" Butlins, Pontins, Warner's and cruise line entertainers or hosts. Transition to selling and in TV makes sense as a career pathway for them.

And then there's the jobbing actors... 😜
Welcome to forum. Very interesting observations. And as I said previously, Mason is a class act who does cleverly tone his performance to who he thinks is watching are impressionable enough to buy. You know...Yer mate Mike 'ere...It's the rest of his hawking armoury that's the problem for me! I strongly suspect he reads this forum, (or has a flunky to do it) as many years ago now, I think he got upset at what was being said about his Bid-Up act at the time, and asked for certain materials to be removed- that's from memory at least, and I may have imagined the whole thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, agreed. Apologies for that re-post copy/paste EK bit from my too-long multiple-points intro post earlier a bit before that, which I'm hoping you and others will also respond to some of the other observations made there re PS, watches, IW value or not, Invigor8 towels much cheaper elsewhere, etc.!

One thing I would say is that all they are doing is trying to sell product. It is a business. Perhaps a re-failing one. The "entertainment," bonhomie, friendliness, is a by-product of selling. Agreed it should be called out when they overstep the bounds of law, selling practices and sheer exaggeration and tell mistruths or incorrect facts. But they're not your friends and don't care about the implications as long as they sell. If you think they should be more "ethical", or worried about their style and manner of selling, I suspect they all sleep soundly knowing they shifted product with no bad conscience.

Yeah, agreed. Apologies for that re-post copy/paste EK bit from my too-long multiple-points intro post earlier a bit before that, which I'm hoping you and others will also respond to some of the other observations made there re PS, watches, IW value or not, Invigor8 towels much cheaper elsewhere, etc.!

One thing I would say is that all they are doing is trying to sell product. It is a business. Perhaps a re-failing one. The "entertainment," bonhomie, friendliness, is a by-product of selling. Agreed it should be called out when they overstep the bounds of law, selling practices and sheer exaggeration and tell mistruths or incorrect facts. But they're not your friends and don't care about the implications as long as they sell. If you think they should be more "ethical", or worried about their style and manner of selling, I suspect they all sleep soundly knowing they shifted product with no bad conscience.
welcome to the forum feel free to say whatever you like we do

I do not hold Masons bid tv antics against him (check youtube) as it was a long time ago now and that sort of behaviour was still just about ok in some circles. By the same token, you can see some of Andy Hodgsons clips from that era about Peter Simon bending over/dropping the soap/walking with a limp, and other tired old cliches

Yes I suspect he has always had good sales figures because he is that "type" is he a decent person off screen I have no idea I wouldn't be shocked if he is

Latest posts

Back