Pipa's planning to cook

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Same with John Barrowman, funny how he "loved" QVC when he had hair care to flog, don't watch much but I don't think he's been back now he doesn't sell it anymore, strange that.

In fairness, I've heard John Barrowman ring up shows to say he's a QVC fan and more specifically a Lock-n-Lock fan plenty of times (most of them way before he ever started selling his skincare or haircare ranges.

Isn't it a hoot how they all do this? They either go from one soap to another (after giving umpteen interviews saying they want to "move on to do other things"), or they come crawling back after years in the wilderness. Look at the bloke who plays Robbie Jackson in EastEnders (or in my case, don't look at him) - I remember him from when I used to watch it, many moons ago when he played a schoolkid. Has zilch acting talent, IMO, and now he's back. And don't get me started on the others, such as Joe Swash and Natalie Thingummybob, who has released and preached about her numerous weight-loss videos and then put the weight back on. The only "talent" many of these people have IMO is for falling out of clubs in the early hours or for appearing on dubious "reality" TV shows.

Talk about easy money for no talent ! Makes me wonder why I bothered with all those years of education, when I should have gone to a stage school and then straight on to a Soap. I see loads are making their way back to Corrie and 'enders cos they've been out of work for years.

Oh may, I missed that! He always was a stroppy little piece of work, in my view - came over on TV as quite arrogant, I thought. As my Dad would have said "he thought more of himself than other people ever did"!!

You mean you missed his two series of Monday night shows with Dale Franklin? Yes, he's a bonafide cook now he's been on Celebrity MasterChef (didn't win it, and was very sore about it, by what I've heard).

Right! At least Kathy looks as though she gets a meal down her once or twice - and she looks healthy, not scrawny. John B - now there's a blast from the past, I certainly haven't seen him when I've been flicking back and forth, does he get much telly work now, I wonder, although to be fair he may be doing stage work. Q do bring them in and then chuck them out, don't they? They get through different product guests like a dose of salts. Pipa is definitely more suited to fashion.............and of course DF is suited to EVERYTHING, because she's superwoman multi-tasker of the year. By the way, I take it we've all bought her latest book? No? Shame on you all!

Same with John Barrowman, funny how he "loved" QVC when he had hair care to flog, don't watch much but I don't think he's been back now he doesn't sell it anymore, strange that. My opinion is I'd give Kathy Tayler the cooking gig and Pipa the "fashion" more plausible.

I think John B is in a show called Arrow which is pretty successful and made in the US. I have never seen it so if it is shown here it must be on Sky or some pay per view channel.

In fairness, I've heard John Barrowman ring up shows to say he's a QVC fan and more specifically a Lock-n-Lock fan plenty of times (most of them way before he ever started selling his skincare or haircare ranges.

Oh well, if that's what he says, I'm more cynical you see and say he's only saying that to make out he's a down to earth, one of the guys, QVC customer to increase his sales and say "well if me, a massive celebrity shops with QVC, why don't you?"

They're probably going to get Pippa doing it to make it more 'accessible': the fact she can't cook is the USP. She'll be doing the whole 'look at me, I'm an idiot in the kitchen but if you buy this then suddenly you'll be the next Raymond Blanc'. It's just a marketing vehicle to sell exceptionally overpriced food to those who want to pretend to cook and pretend they live in that sterile, white, Notting Hill style QVC house they do all the VT segments in.

She'll be able to "yeah! yeah! yeah!" in unison with the sliced carrots flying out the dicer...........or whatever overly expensive kitchen appliance they'll be using at the time.

Oh well, if that's what he says, I'm more cynical you see and say he's only saying that to make out he's a down to earth, one of the guys, QVC customer to increase his sales and say "well if me, a massive celebrity shops with QVC, why don't you?"

What I was saying was that he used to ring in several years before he had a product to sell.

I'm getting increasingly cynical these days.

I reckon they don't feel they are getting enough sales per view during daytime. Hence not only Morning Show, but Kathy's weekly fashion slot... then the rolling trainwreck which is the Lunchtime Show. Given that it's once in a blue moon you see Pipa after 5pm, perhaps the idea is yet another attempt to boost daytime viewers to shop more with QVC.

Forget the fact that there are a myriad of other things which they could do which would be likely to boost their sales which they won't consider...
Don't like the lunchtime show.

John Barrowman became a bit full of himself after he became famous on TV. Dr Who and Captain Jack.Also some of the LLoyd Webber reality shows.

Couldnt stand him on Q........Having said that he is a brilliant stage performer especially in musicals .I have seen him in several shows about 10-15years ago and he has a great singing voice and stage personality.

For Q ,if he ever returns he should tone it down a bit........

Isn't it a hoot how they all do this? They either go from one soap to another (after giving umpteen interviews saying they want to "move on to do other things"), or they come crawling back after years in the wilderness. Look at the bloke who plays Robbie Jackson in EastEnders (or in my case, don't look at him) - I remember him from when I used to watch it, many moons ago when he played a schoolkid. Has zilch acting talent, IMO, and now he's back. And don't get me started on the others, such as Joe Swash and Natalie Thingummybob, who has released and preached about her numerous weight-loss videos and then put the weight back on. The only "talent" many of these people have IMO is for falling out of clubs in the early hours or for appearing on dubious "reality" TV shows.

I think they cant live without being "seen or talked about".

Talk about easy money for no talent ! Makes me wonder why I bothered with all those years of education, when I should have gone to a stage school and then straight on to a Soap. I see loads are making their way back to Corrie and 'enders cos they've been out of work for years.

Sorry bristles, but I have to just jump in here:handshake: My son worked hard at school to get into uni which did the degree work for a 'stage school' well musical theatre school in London. It wasn't a soft touch degree, normal dissertation to do plus performance examinations. They had to be in the gym at 8.00am and were often still in lessons or doing practical work until gone 8.00 at night.

Please don't think that people who go into this business don't give a hoot about their education, it's not the case.

As for getting in a soap, it's ****** hard, it's the most "ist" industry out there.You are right, people are returning to the soaps they once left ( usually because they thought there was something better around the corner and there isn't) at least they can return unlike newly graduated who find it very difficult to get a foot in door to Soapland, the only person we are aware of in the last year to do this is Jonny Labey

As for Andi Peters.....he will probably be in a Panto somewhere and not available until mid Jan. I hope he stays off TV because he comes across as having a big ego and not very pleasant to me.

most ...but not all of the stage people have big ego's. its a cutthroat business waiting to be famous

Q's probably trying to be innovative and different with their themed shows ......Lol. .....Celebrity cooks don't hang around long .They dont have to they get plenty of exposure elsewhere. There was the Italian guy selling his wares,forgotten his name but he never returned.

That would be Bruno Strictly Come Dancing Tognioli as I recall it!

most ...but not all of the stage people have big ego's. its a cutthroat business waiting to be famous

I think with all the time most of them audition and get rejected, you'd need a big ego to keep coming back for more.

You're right there May, despite casting directors telling agents what they want someone to look like and agents send their people that fit the ask, sometimes they walk into a room and are told, too tall, too short, too blonde, too dark, too fat, too thin,too young, too old,even though they fit the description the casting director requested.

Two of the worst reason for cuts before even opening their mouths or warm up were, ' nice suit, where is if from?, oh Top Man?, well if that's your standard?....." And I'd like you to stay but I don't think I could work with you and stay professional"!

People wanting to go into the business have to have tough skin, be able to take put downs, shouted at, dropped, be prepared to hang around for hours and hours just to get to say/ sing/ a couple of lines before being cut off and told" we will be in touch" each time they have to brush it off, stay focused and go on to the next audition and believe in themselves that they can succeed at the next audition.

For every one that gets on TV or stage there are thousands that don't.
It's very tough and very expensive.

Just a thought...if most, if not all, the presenters are freelance who decides who stays? If there are so many people with talent ready to fill the shoes of the old hacks...how do we end up with the 'same old, same old' presenters? Are QVC struggling to attract the bright, young things or are the old guard protecting their territory using fair means or foul? Do the staff have to re-apply and be re-evaluated? I've often wondered why so many presenters are kept on when some are turning viewers off and clearly past their sell bye dates.

I suppose the question is do we class a talented as someone with good personality or someone with exceptional selling skills? I guess QVC will want sales...if someone is a performer I don't think they would want to be on TV selling unless they could no longer pursue a performing career, even then, it might not be first on their list of jobs.

I must admit I do shake my head in wonder that some presenters are still at QVC

Just a thought...if most, if not all, the presenters are freelance who decides who stays? If there are so many people with talent ready to fill the shoes of the old hacks...how do we end up with the 'same old, same old' presenters? Are QVC struggling to attract the bright, young things or are the old guard protecting their territory using fair means or foul? Do the staff have to re-apply and be re-evaluated? I've often wondered why so many presenters are kept on when some are turning viewers off and clearly past their sell bye dates.

I'm not sure the pool of talent is actually that big. Live, unscripted TV isn't something everyone can cope with. One of the reasons why QVC went for news presenters for their most recent recruits (Marv, Jackie, Chloe (sports news)) is that they are used to broadcasting live, with a talkback pack. The more gifted can do it and be themselves (like them or loathe them)... others make it look like hard work, unfortunately, however experienced they may be.

It's the same reason why presenters seem to pop up over and over again when they leave one shopping channel they are soon seen at another (hence the permanent return of the rude Sara Griffiths after covering for Pipa's sabbatical).

QVC seem to have become increasingly risk averse (as illustrated by the increasingly unimaginative and repetitive TSVs), and getting someone in who has no selly-telly or live unscripted broadcasting experience would be too big a risk for them. QVC isn't a training ground or launch pad for someone's glittering television career, it's either a final resting point or it's a marking time job until something better turns up. It seems to pay well enough, and if you're self-employed as it would appear to be the case for the presenters, having a steady income which makes sure you're financially stable is an attractive proposition.

If the presenters are self-employed, they will be on contracts with a renewal clause in them. It will be the presenters' choice to renew or not if that offer is made to them... equally, it will be QVC's choice whether or not to make a renewal offer. In deciding whether or not to offer a contract renewal, QVC will be more concerned about sales performance during a presenter's hours rather than viewing figures. Let's face it, it doesn't matter how many of us watch or don't watch... what actually matters is whether people buy on a shopping channel.

Latest posts

Back