Peter Simon

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Peter is laying it on thick tonight as Bid attempt to cash in on the Olympics. Queue Rule Britannia and the Union Jack fluttering in the background. 'Not only this, not only that'.

Did you know that Britain also hosted the Games in 1947 , it must be true because Peter Simon said so last night

Probably help him with his haemerrhoid problem that he doesn't mind telling us about in graphic detail, now for something to shove in 'is gob, and preferably nothing actually edible 'cause his table manners are an effing disgrace!

I know he is a bit lewd sometimes but I find it so refreshing to see a shopping presenter allowed to be an adult, so many of them talk to us as though we were small children. I guess its not for everone but least they seem to keep him in late night slots and that is right I think, he is better for late night! I also feel a bit sorry for him sometimes, I think the stories and crudeness, may be covering up a kind of sadness!

I know he is a bit lewd sometimes but I find it so refreshing to see a shopping presenter allowed to be an adult, so many of them talk to us as though we were small children. I guess its not for everone but least they seem to keep him in late night slots and that is right I think, he is better for late night! I also feel a bit sorry for him sometimes, I think the stories and crudeness, may be covering up a kind of sadness!

The sympathy vote is almost certainly part of his sales technique (his illness, his near death experience, his living alone (sometimes he dosen't live alone), his house being knocked down for a train line, his bad feet, his chalfonts.

Personally I don't feel sorry for him, on the contrary.

The sympathy vote is almost certainly part of his sales technique (his illness, his near death experience, his living alone (sometimes he dosen't live alone), his house being knocked down for a train line, his bad feet, his chalfonts.

Personally I don't feel sorry for him, on the contrary.

I'm with you on this one Wirral, he's absolutely vile and a nasty piece of work (IMO)

Nope. That's what he and Bid wants. For viewers to see him as an older guy who old people can identify with and trust. And buy from.

Which is why he goes on about his health and his age. His "spiritualism" (though I think he's about as spiritual as a Daffy Duck cartoon), plus mentions of "Our Bet" and "Our Maud".

I think you're reading far too much into the behaviour of sales assistants. They're paid to get you to part with your cash, not be your friends.

He makes me laugh, "You have to buy this.. its a one off design piece".... then "quantity 119 left" pops up on the screen lol.

Nope. That's what he and Bid wants. For viewers to see him as an older guy who old people can identify with and trust. And buy from.

Which is why he goes on about his health and his age. His "spiritualism" (though I think he's about as spiritual as a Daffy Duck cartoon), plus mentions of "Our Bet" and "Our Maud".

I think you're reading far too much into the behaviour of sales assistants. They're paid to get you to part with your cash, not be your friends.

I totally agree Enigma! He's always trying his utmost to appeal & refer to elderly people too, dare I say it making the assumption that they're easier targets to flog stuff to. Then the names of whose purchased said items appear at the bottom of the screen. Names like Doris, Violet, Earnest...Obviously we don't know these people's ages but I think it's a reasonable assumption to make that many of his buying audience are of the older generation.

Just my opinion but P.Simon is a sly old fox who knows exactly what he's doing and how to milk it & who to. His patter is quite remarkable until he half mentions/mumbles the p&p or something factual that's not a great sales point about the items because after all the ASA rulings he has to probably. Nothing remotely sad about that except for the people who have bought & continue to buy under false pretenses.

Watching him late on a Friday and Saturday night has become a guilty pleasure. I cant sleep at moment so I stay up watching him till 1.30 in the morning! Maybe he does know there are a lot of quite lonely and elderly viewers who tune in and maybe he is trageting them, I wish I wasnt cynical about it either! Still he probably has sales figures to meet or exceed and so the stories get more and more far fetched and desperate. Im often quite embarassed so heaven knows how red faced some older dears are! BUT maybe they have lived a long life and are not quite as easily shocked as people think! Just hope they dont spend and then end up sitting up to watch in the cold as they dare not turn on the heating!

I noticed Valentines and today with Easter, he does seem to receive quite a few cards and letters from more mature ladies. Maybe they feel he is talking more to them and to give him some credit, he does take time to read out letters and cards and mention names too for them. On Valentines day, I was surprised he was able to read out so many cards and names, cant see even QVC or Ideal giving over 10 minutes of a sales oppportunity to acknowledge letters, think it was nice for that to happen.

Watching him late on a Friday and Saturday night has become a guilty pleasure. I cant sleep at moment so I stay up watching him till 1.30 in the morning! Maybe he does know there are a lot of quite lonely and elderly viewers who tune in and maybe he is trageting them, I wish I wasnt cynical about it either! Still he probably has sales figures to meet or exceed and so the stories get more and more far fetched and desperate. Im often quite embarassed so heaven knows how red faced some older dears are! BUT maybe they have lived a long life and are not quite as easily shocked as people think! Just hope they dont spend and then end up sitting up to watch in the cold as they dare not turn on the heating!

I noticed Valentines and today with Easter, he does seem to receive quite a few cards and letters from more mature ladies. Maybe they feel he is talking more to them and to give him some credit, he does take time to read out letters and cards and mention names too for them. On Valentines day, I was surprised he was able to read out so many cards and names, cant see even QVC or Ideal giving over 10 minutes of a sales oppportunity to acknowledge letters, think it was nice for that to happen.

Don't forget that we 'old dears' were around in the 1960's and all that you have heard about that era is true. It takes a lot to make us blush. we've been there, done that, got the T shirt. It is my belief that wearing thigh high white PVC boots and a mini skirt in the freezing winter of 1963 is the reason I have all these aches and pains now!

Tri, that's mature wisdom from you there.
Keep that perspective with that healthy dose of cynicism and you'll be fine.
I'll be honest, I watch Peter Simon but only in the way I'd watch a car crash!
and Hilary has a point, those of us that are maturing might not be as easily shocked as you think!!

It's amazing how coherent Peter is tonight
He's had guests with him and he's spoken clearly, finished words and sentences and mostly got his words right!
Funny how you can behave and get things right and be compliant when someone else is standing next to you! :wonder: :nod:

It's amazing how coherent Peter is tonight
He's had guests with him and he's spoken clearly, finished words and sentences and mostly got his words right!
Funny how you can behave and get things right and be compliant when someone else is standing next to you! :wonder: :nod:

Maybe it's because nobody gets much of a chance to get a word in edgeways when the utterly insufferable gardening woman is on. I listened to a bit of his monologue though, excruciating.

I switched off before Chef Kate's appearance, I find it too distressing watching him consume food.

Last edited:
PS is selling 2PK Downland Hollowfibre Pillows for 1p, hundreds have sold

You can get them from very and woolworths for £5 + 3.95 post which is still cheaper by a few pence

But of course, you wouldn't get any vouchers with them

Latest posts

Back