Overpriced Dyson animal stick vac.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
Marverine is on with Joe Hodgetts from Dysom demonstrating a stick vac costing £330. They way they are going on about it you'd think it was bargain of the century. There are some fabulous vacs out there for £50. Anyone buying this Dyson clearly has money to burn!

I sell Dyson at work and, whilst this is expensive for this model - we sell it at £260.00 without the car kit - we sell them hand over fist, as with all Dyson models. It is not a run of the mill, bargain basement priced vacuum, but one which exhibits quality via an efficacious performance. There are vacuums on the market to suit all budgets; if you want the best, Dyson cannot be surpassed.

I don't really think you can say people who buy a Dyson have money to burn, there are hundreds of thousands of Dyson owners out there.

I sell Dyson at work and, whilst this is expensive for this model - we sell it at £260.00 without the car kit - we sell them hand over fist, as with all Dyson models. It is not a run of the mill, bargain basement priced vacuum, but one which exhibits quality via an efficacious performance. There are vacuums on the market to suit all budgets; if you want the best, Dyson cannot be surpassed.

I'm sure it's great, Louise. But All that lovely money on a lil vacuum! I'd go with a cheaper one! I have a holiday home in which I use a cheap stick vac bought from the Daily Express website. Works brilliantly!

I had a dyson vac and had nothing but problems with it. Replaced it with an upright from argos, only cost £60 and it had a pet head attachment and i can honestly say its the best one i've ever had. The suction on it is amazing.

Took my dad's old electrolux to the tip last week and all but 2 vacuums there were dysons!

Dyson Theres good. Theres bad.

I owned a DC02 'de stijl' multicoloured upright which, at the time was ground breaking awesome. More recently friends ordered that hand held thats featuring on air today, which might be great on full charge, but the battery depletes rapidly and starts to sound like its struggling (like my old Austin going uphill on ice in 1st) struggling to pick up anything

After 15 years of dyson (and spending a fortune on filters, and replacing cracked attachments/hose necks) I switched to Oreck and I've never looked back

I notice Electrolux was mentioned. Back in the 1980s, a boyfriend put the end of the metal pipe from the big Electrolux cylinder (hang on there, stick with me) LOLOL on my foot, playing about when he was vaccuming his boy racer car, and it sucked the whole stocking from my leg. I never saw stocking again. I played hell with him as they were my best silks!

Last edited:
Does anyone remember that other brand of vacuum cleaner that QVC used to sell? Looked like something out of a 1950s advert from a housewife magazine. Naff old thing! They were expensive too. I think the company that made them went bankrupt.

buy cheap, buy twice... I have a dyson and have had it for many years, ok so its a lot bulkier than the newer models, but it is still as good as when i first took it out of the box.

I'm sure it's great, Louise. But All that lovely money on a lil vacuum! I'd go with a cheaper one! I have a holiday home in which I use a cheap stick vac bought from the Daily Express website. Works brilliantly!

It is horses for courses, Julius. It is not always a matter of what our expendable budget is, rather what we are prepared to spend on an item. We sell a LG washer/dryer for £700; we sell a hotpoint for £370. Not everyone who buys the hotpoint, does so because they cannot afford the LG, and vice versa. Your vacuum performs the tasks, for which you bought it, so you made a wise choice.

I had a dyson vac and had nothing but problems with it. Replaced it with an upright from argos, only cost £60 and it had a pet head attachment and i can honestly say its the best one i've ever had. The suction on it is amazing.

Took my dad's old electrolux to the tip last week and all but 2 vacuums there were dysons!

How old were the dysons, though? They come with a 5 year guarantee so, chances are, the owners got their money's worth out of them, or dyson would have been obliged to repair them.

I have a full size Dyson which I really love. However, OH talked me into buying a cordless "animal" stick cleaner a year or so ago at what I thought was a ridiculous price - close on £300 as I recall. It's rubbish. It's always been rubbish. It picks up no animal hair unless you have it on turbo (which isn't that turbo I might add). The charge lasts for about 8 minutes tops on turbo which isn't enough to vac even the carpet properly. Now, after a lot of use, the battery pack (which is right under the handle and trigger) works loose all the time so the motor cuts out every few seconds. I hate it and would not recommend it to anyone. The other machine I own is quality and I could not do without it. I note someone said they are guaranteed for 5 years - over to OH to sort it out.

CC

Its a small turbo head, hose attachment for pet hairs on stairs and sofas and i love it. No dogs or cats have ever been harmed in the using of it! :mysmilie_7: :mysmilie_848: :mysmilie_482: :mysmilie_515:

ps, it was attacked once by a giant lop rabbit :mysmilie_17:

Does anyone remember that other brand of vacuum cleaner that QVC used to sell? Looked like something out of a 1950s advert from a housewife magazine. Naff old thing! They were expensive too. I think the company that made them went bankrupt.

did they used to demonstrate its suction power picking up a bowling ball? If so, you might be thinking of an Oreck cylinder which basically looked like a vitamix on its side, with wheels and a pipe

did they used to demonstrate its suction power picking up a bowling ball? If so, you might be thinking of an Oreck cylinder which basically looked like a vitamix on its side, with wheels and a pipe

Yes that's right! The Oreck! I remember the guy who did the bowling ball demonstration always reminded me of James Randi. The vaccuum cleaner looked a bit like one of those carpet sweeper things my nan used to have. It was made by Fairbank or something like that. The Oreck came with a cylinder vac with a funnel attachment for picking up heavy bowling balls! The vac looked as naff as hell but apparently they were very good and were used in top hotels all around the world. I don't know why they went bankrupt but it seems a shame since they were around such a long time.

Owner of a full size and handheld Dyson here & love them both, both bought pre-loved for a fraction of the rrp - the full size 'ball' Dyson was £50, the handheld was about £40. I always wonder if those people who claim that they're rubbish & don't pick up actually maintain them... i.e. wash the filters AND body (non motor) parts out.

Last edited:
If one pays >£300 for a vacuum cleaner are one's expectations in terms of performance are raised?

I have an Oreck bought from Q about 17 years ago having tried the Mother-out-law's one. The big old fashioned thing only weighs about 9lb which was a huge selling point but at just under £180 I had to "sell" it to Mr Akimbo. I ordered one and then vacuumed our grotty pink bedroom carpet (came with the house when we moved in a few months earlier. Up to that point we only knew it was pink because of the double bed-shaped patch when the room was empty - slippers worn at all time pending new carpet's arrival).

Used our old vac then the Oreck (as the demo suggested) and was shocked how much more grime the oreck picked up, especially up to the skirting boards. Mr A thought I'd had the carpets shampooed!

Our Oreck came as a TSV with the cylinder and also a car vac, both still going strong. In fact we have the Mother-out-law's cylinder because she lives in a bungalow and didn't really use it so we have one for DIY (great to use when sanding or drilling).

Final selling point; my kids were little when we first had the Oreck ad you can attach the pipes and tubes to the exhaust end to blow air and inflate airbeds and paddling pools.

I also have a Gtech next to the rabbit's home because he flicks hay and bedding over the carpet bless him! I can't leave out a vacuum with a flex because he'd bite through it!

Latest posts

Back