Ninja TSV 23/06/24

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I debated whether to get one or not. Had a look on the Ninja website for recipes, did a bit of calculating with cost of the ingredients and time and effort to faff around, plus the calories and decided not too. I’m sure Gail Hamway never mentioned using cream cheese during demonstrations. Wonder which type you’d use? Did see mentioned that you could use cottage cheese or fresh cream (not on Ninja website)

I worked out that I could buy approx 60 tubs of supermarket own brand luxury ice cream for the cost of the machine alone.

I've just tried the frozen ready made custard.

The machine was much quieter than expected, so no need for my ear muffs, which are essential for my Ninja blender.

But the icecream was very disappointing. Obviously, it tasted fine, but was the consistency of of biscuit crumbs. So I re-spun it, no difference, so re-spun again, no diiference.

There is no way you could scoop it into a cone as the crumbs would just fall off. it was like eating small ice crystals.
Disappointing.

I worked out that I could buy approx 60 tubs of supermarket own brand luxury ice cream for the cost of the machine alone.
Same for me, and it would be SMOOTH unlike what I made.

Some other observations - - -

!. It has to be flat on the top, otherwise it may damage the machine. But when you take it out of the freezer, it has a distinct bump on the top, which can't be flattened with a spoon (like they said to do) because it is rock hard.

2. Others l;ater, need to go now.

I debated whether to get one or not. Had a look on the Ninja website for recipes, did a bit of calculating with cost of the ingredients and time and effort to faff around, plus the calories and decided not too. I’m sure Gail Hamway never mentioned using cream cheese during demonstrations. Wonder which type you’d use? Did see mentioned that you could use cottage cheese or fresh cream (not on Ninja website)

And I'll have to be living on custard now, as I bought an big tub of custard powder as chaeper than ready made. ;)

I checked out reviews on Amazon.
I didn't think of that, here are a few poor reviews, many the same as I found myself of non-smooth ice cream.- - -

But we wanted "instant" creamy ice cream on demand and regardless of ingredient all that resulted was a crumbly mess.

Now it's possible that our freezer froze too cold, but even when leaving the tubs on the counter for 20 - 30 minutes ... powdery ice cream resulted.

ven if we could have solved the ice crumble mess, the fact that you then have to tamper down what's left and refreeze -- and then go through the whole process again next time ... makes what seemed like fun idea into a chore.

Absolute rubbish, don't believe all the hype round this product. Makes horrible ice cream with crunchy ice crystals in.

First time I used this I made the basic ice cream recipe from the booklet. Ice cream was powdery and left an unpleasant fatty residue in the mouth. The blade shaved plastic from the container leaving stringy slivers through the churned ice cream. My 4 year old granddaughter was picking them out of her mouth and couldn’t eat any more.

Always comes out crumbly whatever you do.

Also (this is me) there are many reviews saying that it very quickly broke or burnt out and tripped the house electricity. Amd many say the blade gouged grooves in the plastic tub, and they ate the pieces of plastic because they didn't realise ubti the tub was empty,

eg - Broke after trying to make a sorbet on the first attempt
Only got a milkshake from it
Absolutely rubbish

You make the ice cream in a mixing bowl. All this machine does is churn it once frozen. Calling it an Ice Cream "maker" is a massive overstatement if not misleading.

Was expecting lovely smooth creamy ice cream. Despite following all the directions and recipes to the letter, I end up with crumbly, certainly not creamy mixture.

There are loads like this, but that's enough to give a flavour of the reviews (no pun intended)

I didn't think of that, here are a few poor reviews, many the same as I found myself of non-smooth ice cream.- - -

But we wanted "instant" creamy ice cream on demand and regardless of ingredient all that resulted was a crumbly mess.

Now it's possible that our freezer froze too cold, but even when leaving the tubs on the counter for 20 - 30 minutes ... powdery ice cream resulted.

ven if we could have solved the ice crumble mess, the fact that you then have to tamper down what's left and refreeze -- and then go through the whole process again next time ... makes what seemed like fun idea into a chore.

Absolute rubbish, don't believe all the hype round this product. Makes horrible ice cream with crunchy ice crystals in.

First time I used this I made the basic ice cream recipe from the booklet. Ice cream was powdery and left an unpleasant fatty residue in the mouth. The blade shaved plastic from the container leaving stringy slivers through the churned ice cream. My 4 year old granddaughter was picking them out of her mouth and couldn’t eat any more.

Always comes out crumbly whatever you do.

Also (this is me) there are many reviews saying that it very quickly broke or burnt out and tripped the house electricity. Amd many say the blade gouged grooves in the plastic tub, and they ate the pieces of plastic because they didn't realise ubti the tub was empty,

eg - Broke after trying to make a sorbet on the first attempt
Only got a milkshake from it
Absolutely rubbish

You make the ice cream in a mixing bowl. All this machine does is churn it once frozen. Calling it an Ice Cream "maker" is a massive overstatement if not misleading.

Was expecting lovely smooth creamy ice cream. Despite following all the directions and recipes to the letter, I end up with crumbly, certainly not creamy mixture.

There are loads like this, but that's enough to give a flavour of the reviews (no pun intended)
That is a really good point! In my experience, you can read scores of 5 star reviews, some of which tell you no more than the blurb on the packet or have repeated what the sales person has said. There's more to be learned by reading the lower starred reviews because more often than not they'll confirm any worries you might have. I tend to ignore the ones who are just complaining about the packaging or that they've received a faulty unit or clearly are too thick to suss out the instructions. I can give you an example here. OH bought an electric citrus juicer 'cause we love fresh juice but our manual one as good as it is was really hard work. Among the one star reviews was someone who was disappointed that the clearance wasn't deep enough to put a jug underneath so they were making glassfuls one orange at a time - I mean derr! How about pulling the unit to the edge of the work surface and holding a large jug underneath the spout? Incidentally the spout flips up so you're not getting drips on the floor when you're grabbing your next piece of fruit!
If I were you I'd celebrate with a tub of the finest ice cream!

I came across a recipe for dog ice cream on facebook this morning, and the ingredients were 2 ripe bananas, a dollop of Greek yogurt, a couple of spoons of peanut butter and a splash of water. Put it into a blender then transfer the mixture into an ice cube tray and freeze. Well I'm thinking I'm not a dog but I've got all those ingredients so I'll give it a go and see how it goes. I bunged everything into the magic bullet and blended it. I screwed the top on and went to put it in the fast-freeze compartment of my freezer then I'd re-blend it and how it turned out. As I was standing the cup in my freezer I thought that as the ingredients didn't reach the top of the cup that once it was frozen and I went to give it a buzz in the blender it would be frozen solid and the blades wouldn't reach down far enough, so I screwed a lid on and turned it upside down. A couple of hours later when I checked I was met with scoopable ice cream and not a rock hard lump of ice. I tried it and it was really nice, I'm not gonna say amazing. (I mean it is meant for dogs lol!) I put it back in the freezer and found it was still in a scoopable state so I transferred it to a lock and lock container and put it back in the freezer. I only made a small amount so I'm planning to eat the rest later on. I wonder whether if I left it until tomorrow it would solidify and be useless, but for now I've made instant ice cream. I might try it again another day with a few more tweaks, maybe a bit of coconut cream and little less or no peanut butter and hopefully will find a recipe that turns out as well and is absolutely amazing. So yes no need for a £200 piece of kit!

I'm still waiting for the return label, it was supposed to have been posted last Friday, and being collected this Fri if I get the label in time.

Will probably ring Q tomorrow if it hasn't arrived by then.

Here's an update on the ice cream. Well I've been out for a few hours and returned to the freezer to find ice cream I'd put into the lock n'lock had frozen solid. I managed to loosen it round the edge with a knife and managed to break it down and put it back into the blender...It struggled a bit but did produced a rather crumbly/grainy ice cream probably no better than what came out of Stratto's machine. I'm not saying I'll never do it again, but like the sorbets I make with frozen fruit in the magic bullet I'll just make it one portion at a time and eat it there and then cause then at least you have proper sorbet/ice cream. It's a good way to use up ripe bananas and I will experiment with other ingredients like strawberries and cream but like I say it's not a ice cream you can store and eat another day!

I'm still waiting for the return label, it was supposed to have been posted last Friday, and being collected this Fri if I get the label in time.

I hope so for you - They're quick enough to take your money!

Ninja products seems to be on almost as much as Dyson and Elemis nowadays and all three brands are pricey.

Last edited:

Unless you haven’t got a printer then you should ask them to email you a returns label. You’d assume they’d be able to manage that, but you never know with QVC. 🙄

Unless you haven’t got a printer then you should ask them to email you a returns label. You’d assume they’d be able to manage that, but you never know with QVC. 🙄
No, all my printers packed up because the ink dried up in the heads, ink-jet printers are notorious for this. OH's done the same.

That was supposed to be the whole point of the NInja, able to whip up frozen solid icecream into smooth scoopable (which it didn't).

But it didn't struggle to whip it, it just wasn't smooth.
I know mine struggled due to the size of the motor and the size of the blades, then of course my machine isn't really designed for tasks, however it produced ice cream that was no better than yours and that's really annoying because there are absolutely no excuses as to why the Ninja (it only had one job) didn't produce the results you expected from it! Obviously shop bought ice creams have some kind of stabiliser added to ensure that it doesn't turn into a block of ice. Anything home made and frozen will turn into a block of ice and this machine was supposed to be the answer to this and it isn't. Once it's left the building breathe a sigh of relief you've saved yourself a heap of money. If somethings gonna be a one trick pony the least it should be able to do is perform that trick!

No, all my printers packed up because the ink dried up in the heads, ink-jet printers are notorious for this. OH's done the same.
Hopefully it will turn up before Evri come to collect it but Royal Mail seemed to be dealing with loads of postal votes that haven’t turned up yet, according to the news this morning, so I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I sent something last week and paid for it to be delivered the next day, tracked and signed for. It took 4 days to reach the recipient and amazingly enough the tracking still shows that it’s stuck at the Leeds Mail Centre. 🙄

QVC usually send returns labels 2nd class as well so presumably that’ll take even longer so I’d keep ringing them and, if needs be, tell them to rearrange the day that Evri are collecting it.

Hopefully it will turn up before Evri come to collect it but Royal Mail seemed to be dealing with loads of postal votes that haven’t turned up yet, according to the news this morning, so I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I sent something last week and paid for it to be delivered the next day, tracked and signed for. It took 4 days to reach the recipient and amazingly enough the tracking still shows that it’s stuck at the Leeds Mail Centre. 🙄

QVC usually send returns labels 2nd class as well so presumably that’ll take even longer so I’d keep ringing them and, if needs be, tell them to rearrange the day that Evri are collecting it.
Unfortunately I am planning to be away soon.

Latest posts

Back