My motivation

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It's not just the vulnerable is it? I've seen posters on here taken in by the slick smile and I'm your friend routine of some salespeople while selling pound shop products at high-end prices, and defend them! .

i have bought 4 products from bid now i am more than happy with the quality of them, the price i paid for each item.

that does not mean i have been "taken in" by bid infact the majority of my posts are very critical.

The I'm your friend routine is used by pretty much everybody on shopping tv and for that matter most sales staff on the high street

please not the mention of the good "old days" again

from what i can garner watching old clips and before many from this forum reported the channels to the asa the standards were miles lower not just a bit miles

yes there was more "banter" and the shows were probably funnier but you can watch 20 minute clips online from 2,3 or 10 years ago were the p +p and/or call charge are not mentioned once and products are wildly overstated for what they were.

this has only changed (with most presenters) since bid have realised this is actually quite serious and needs to change

Indeed the P+P has always been high however, Sit Up can set their P+P at whatever price they like. We can think it's too high but it's not something we could complain about.

However, I think you will find that the scandalous 'multibuy' problems were a pretty recent event. As far as i'm aware they didn't used to urge to people to buy nine items 'for just £9' when it would actually cost over £80 although if you have evidence to the contrary i'm happy to retract that.

Last edited:
To be honest PJ apart from the insults early on in the thread I feel nothingtodowithbid posted well, even though I fundamentally disagree with his/her point of view. I had no right to call the poster a troll, and for that I apologise.

However, what I don't think nothingtodowithbid understand is the perception that Sit Up has created for itself by all the misleading nonsense, and that is their own fault and is certainly not something a few people on here have invented. Just take 'Laurelle' as an example. We know Peter Sherlock knows this brand inside out because:-

1. He has been involved in bringing it to Bid as part of the buying team.
2. He is even involved in creating a fragrance for them.

In my opinion there has been some nonsense touted about this brand, much of which has been revealed on here. However, what I find completely unforgivable is when Peter Sherlock tells us to look at the Laurelle website to compare their prices to those of the Sit Up's channels when I suspect he knows full well those prices mean nothing and are probably there as a useful reference point for companies like Sit Up who resell their products. Personally I have never, ever seen evidence of any reseller of Laurelle that sells their products for anywhere near those prices, not one.

It is that kind of thing that has added to the perception that, rightly or wrongly, they are 'at it', for want of a better phrase.

You are right, but to be fair they did start off very bad and took awhile to get going. I just wish someone would come on and engage with us, I know they only have my word for this but I am putting it in black and white so if I am not engaging with them they can call me out, so come on engage with the points I make not just come back with things like but you smell (I know that isn't a quote but it is the level of the chat.)

PJ

Indeed the P+P has always been high however, Sit Up can set their P+P at whatever price they like. We can think it's too high but it's not something we could complain about.

However, I think you will find that the scandalous 'multibuy' problems were a pretty recent event. As far as i'm aware they didn't used to urge to people to buy nine items 'for just £9' when it would actually cost over £80 although if you have evidence to the contrary i'm happy to retract that.

agreed but the presenters used to pretty much say things like

buy it for £14 (sale price) without a mention of the extras

if they were still doing that today well they in general are not

i have bought 4 products from bid now i am more than happy with the quality of them, the price i paid for each item.

that does not mean i have been "taken in" by bid infact the majority of my posts are very critical.

The I'm your friend routine is used by pretty much everybody on shopping tv and for that matter most sales staff on the high street

I've got to agree with you there. Firstly that not all of their products are utter crap, I've bought some really good stuff....and some crap! but also, yes all shopping channel presenters across the board deliver this "friendly persona", and they do that to make sales, and sadly there are people in this world for whom a friendly voice on the t.v (especially one that to a certain extent one can interact with) may well be the only person they'll hear all day - and it almost goes without saying that such people may end up buying a lot of stuff they don't need or even want for that matter, you can't blame the presenters for that really I recognise that. The main problem for me, is when the presenters try to frighten people into buying things that they probably don't need, and is made worse by the fact a lot of the stuff is cheap and shoddy and not fit for purpose.

agreed but the presenters used to pretty much say things like

buy it for £14 (sale price) without a mention of the extras

if they were still doing that today well they in general are not

Indeed, in fact most of the shopping channels don't go overboard on mentioning P+P and for me that's fine. However, it was a combination of the fact Sit Up's charges are so high and the Multibuy sales that prompted people to complain. They were often incredibly disingenuous but thankfully that problem is now resolved to an acceptable level so fair play to them.

I still think their policy of selling so many items at £1 or even 1p but with associated, non refundable purchase charges of over 900% or sometimes over 9000% more than the product price suits their business plan down to the ground but that is just my opinion.

Last edited:
i will also add again for the fans of the old days of bid

watch some of the clips on youtube

if you think mason and simon make some lewd or sexist comments now i suggest not bothering

ok times have changed but the clips are not THAT long ago

I've got to agree with you there. Firstly that not all of their products are utter crap, I've bought some really good stuff....and some crap! but also, yes all shopping channel presenters across the board deliver this "friendly persona", and they do that to make sales, and sadly there are people in this world for whom a friendly voice on the t.v (especially one that to a certain extent one can interact with) may well be the only person they'll hear all day - and it almost goes without saying that such people may end up buying a lot of stuff they don't need or even want for that matter, you can't blame the presenters for that really I recognise that. The main problem for me, is when the presenters try to frighten people into buying things that they probably don't need, and is made worse by the fact a lot of the stuff is cheap and shoddy and not fit for purpose.

agreed

my point being just because you are a customer does not mean you have been taken in or duped

yes some will be but some will be in most areas of life

an example was on the qvc forum were during a live show a women rang in and said she owned all 162 of the handbags this designer had bought to air

rather than sounding shocked or stunned they congratulated her despite the total being a good four figures. now she may well have been all there and have the money but its just an example

i will also add again for the fans of the old days of bid

watch some of the clips on youtube

if you think mason and simon make some lewd or sexist comments now i suggest not bothering

ok times have changed but the clips are not THAT long ago

I'd well believe that NTB. The pair of them remind me of cabaret acts that probably wouldn't have been appropriate for TV in 1993, never mind 2013.

Horses for courses I suppose, i'm sure lot's of people must like them. Personally I think they've done well getting the gig, given their ability. I just don't get them at all.

Last edited:
If you search my posts you will see I got two fantastic jumpers and an omelette maker both really happy with and I put that on my Facebook and Twitter. Was very impressed that when one jumper shrank in was I got a total refund. If I honestly thought they want to change I would love them to go back to the good days but the fact they are still doing the same things which the ASA ruled against them tells me they don't want to change.

The rotation of stick is getting crazy. Ice cream maker, dongle etc every day the same. What happened to Vivatar cameras? They were cheap and cheerful and a great gift for a child to learn photography. They used to have Sony, Panasonic and great makes. What happened there? I suspect the company's didn't want their brands sold on the channels.

PJ

If you search my posts you will see I got two fantastic jumpers and an omelette maker both really happy with and I put that on my Facebook and Twitter. Was very impressed that when one jumper shrank in was I got a total refund. If I honestly thought they want to change I would love them to go back to the good days but the fact they are still doing the same things which the ASA ruled against them tells me they don't want to change.

The rotation of stick is getting crazy. Ice cream maker, dongle etc every day the same. What happened to Vivatar cameras? They were cheap and cheerful and a great gift for a child to learn photography. They used to have Sony, Panasonic and great makes. What happened there? I suspect the company's didn't want their brands sold on the channels.

PJ

Ideal World can also be incredibly repetitive these days but that's where the comparisons kind of end!

Speaking of repetitive Ryes is on now, beyond annoying, I notice he isn't repetitive when it comes to P+P charges though, tutt tutt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back