Lab grown diamonds

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
I've asked 2 "cheeky" questions about lab grown diamonds and their rings, and they have actually posted it.

Very interested to know the answers, both from QVC (as if) and previous buyers.

And I've asked a question about today's TSV preview as well.

It seems there is ALWAYS information missing! They gave the size, but not the weight, which may be too heavy for one person to lift, so I've asked.

Link - - - (but not posted yet at the time of writing this) - -

Don't know about any of you ladies out there but as beautiful as the ring is, I'd rather have a smaller natural stone, and would be happy to have it set in 9 carat gold...nobody can tell unless you take the thing off and look inside at the hallmark.
Loving the £5.95 p&p...ffs they charge about that price to get a couple of MW's vests delivered to you...what the hell are they doing? Wonder if they throw it in a jiffy bag and leave it on your doorstep?!

Doubt if it's hollowed out at that price...it doesn't look it by the presentation. That's a bugbear of mine, and that is why I opted for a pre-owned wedding ring. When we were looking, anything within our budget was either as thin as wire, or as light as a feather because the back had been hollowed out. Anything else was silly money. We ended up going way under budget but managed to get a wide band with an nice etched pattern and a good bit of weight to it, so it doesn't look and feel like a load of cheap crap. Hollowing out really annoys me!

It seems there is ALWAYS information missing! They gave the size, but not the weight, which may be too heavy for one person to lift, so I've asked.

Are you thinking of buying this Stratto?

We had this and it was pretty good but basic (and very heavy not easily folded) but after about a year an electronic part went and the whole thing wouldn’t work . It was impossible to get it fixed so it had to go to the dump. it cost about £199 if I remember correctly.

Doubt if it's hollowed out at that price...it doesn't look it by the presentation. That's a bugbear of mine, and that is why I opted for a pre-owned wedding ring. When we were looking, anything within our budget was either as thin as wire, or as light as a feather because the back had been hollowed out. Anything else was silly money. We ended up going way under budget but managed to get a wide band with an nice etched pattern and a good bit of weight to it, so it doesn't look and feel like a load of cheap crap. Hollowing out really annoys me!
I had a wide rose gold domed ring from Q and it was almost as thin as heavy duty kitchen foil and soon got dented.

I've sometimes thought about having the hollow filled in, not necessarily with gold, it could be silver which is fairly cheap.

Are you thinking of buying this Stratto?

We had this and it was pretty good but basic (and very heavy not easily folded) but after about a year an electronic part went and the whole thing wouldn’t work . It was impossible to get it fixed so it had to go to the dump. it cost about £199 if I remember correctly.
No, the belt seems too narrow and short, and even DF emphasized this a few time, to be fair.

It looks hollow in the still picture.

Is it just me or are those yellow nails awful? Who would think that that would enhance the jewellery they were showing as close ups.
When I first saw them holding the ring in closeup, you could only see one part of one nail, and I wondered what on earth it was. It's only when the camera moved that I realised it was a nail.

I've never seen yellow nails before, were they all infected ?

Is it just me or are those yellow nails awful? Who would think that that would enhance the jewellery they were showing as close ups.
I was going to comment on that, but I forgot!!!! They look appalling, and as ridiculous as this may sound, I find it quite disrespectful to present jewellery with a price point such as this as this when your fingernails look so disgusting! I very much doubt if she was working in a reputable jeweller's shop she'd be allowed to come into work with those revolting yellow talons!

Totally agree with you about the hollowed out rings. Looks awful and some of the rings have a hefty price tag so should have a decent band to match. It also makes them unbalanced, imo, as often the band is too light, and the weight of the stone causes it to move round the finger. It doesnt even have to be a big stone for that to happen

I bought a Clogau Gold diamond Ring I paid well under £300.00 for it Its solid and heavy. I think its called the Prince George ring.

I've asked 2 "cheeky" questions about lab grown diamonds and their rings, and they have actually posted it.

Very interested to know the answers, both from QVC (as if) and previous buyers.

Think some of questions about lab grown diamonds were answered on this thread?

Hate to tell you Strato yes they posted the question. But QVC never answer they leave to other posters to answer. You can bet they will not have the answers.

As said in the other thread, many will not buy diamonds these days in case they are blood diamonds And I said in the other thread I am not really a fan of diamonds prefering coloured gemstones.

In this Country we tend to be sentimental about our jewellery, especially special pieces such as engagement or wedding rings. America is a whole different ball game and over there it`s very common for people (mainly women) to constantly upgrade their rings for bigger and bigger sized stones. They just don`t seem to be sentimental about them.
I used to visit an American diamond forum run by a guy who sold diamonds and diamond jewellery and it amazed me how many of the forum members often posted photos of their latest upgrade but still never seemed satisfied and it was always one upgrade after another.
When I visited the States and was booking into a hotel I noticed the receptionist wore a beautiful engagement ring so I complimented her on it. She glanced at her hand and simply said "oh yes but next year I`ll upgrade it again".
It`s obvious to some people that size not sentimentality matters most and I think this is an area where lab grown diamonds come into their own. Yes the almost 6 grand firelight diamond ring is ****** silly money in my opinion but to buy a 2 carat plus mined diamond of good colour, cut and clarity, would cost a lot more, probably £10k more, the bigger the real diamond, the more noticeable the flaws or tinges of yellow so a good quality large stone commands a good price. QVC is an American company so I daresay the lab diamonds go down a storm over there and I`ve noticed more and more jewellery websites in this Country are now offering lab diamonds as an alternative for people to get more bling for their bucks and of course they play on the ethical side too.
Personally they could offer me the Koh e Noor diamond on a platinum band and I still wouldn`t swap my engagement ring for it but many would.

My niece is getting her engagement ring hand-made to order - cost? I have no idea, it's not open for discussion but the theory is that it will be quality. That's the theory, anyway. We opted not to get engaged (we didn't have the money) so I don't have any issues over stones etc. but my wedding ring is to me a thing of beauty by itself.

A friend from N.I. goes to or used to Florida and upgraded her engagement ring, traded in the one that was bought there not her first engagement ring for a bigger better one.

Another friend when she was getting engaged when to Holland and picked out the diamonds she wanted in her ring. Came home and picked an independent jeweller here to make the ring. She also got some lovely high grade rubies to make another ring.

Back in the 70's when I got engaged, a pretty decent ring could be bought for around £150 but that was still over a month's salary of my fiancee. I decided I didn't want a pinhead diamond, which was within our budget, so instead of gold I chose a silver ring with several blue sapphires in quite a large star shape - that was more ME ! and a friend called it my Elizabeth Taylor ring. In essence it was more of a dress/cocktail ring but I didn't care, I wanted something that people could see 🤭 🤭

It was Tiffany that pushed the 'a diamond is forever thing'. I watched a documentary about them, I think last year. Diamonds sales dropping, and they had a new head of the company and bang the sales went up. Sentimental advertising. Also, they are the company that started one month's salary for the ring.

I was in town this morning and had a nose at Frederic Malcolm jewellers, a lovely £17,000+ diamond ring. Would I want to own it? No. Now the ruby and the emerald rings at £5,000+ gorgeous.

I have lost quite a few bracelets that I loved so I only buy diamonique rings or stones with not much value. A friend has a beautiful diamond ring that she designed herself and made up from previous engagement rings, she is very worried about losing it too. I was looking at treating myself to some diamond earrings but realised that they didn’t seem much better than the QVC earrings. I also looked at the ‘lab grown’ diamonds and they are really expensive.

Latest posts

Back