£6000 for a ring and .......

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've had this answer from a supplier of LAB diamonds in answer to my query. I've enlarged one part.

Hello!

Sorry we missed you on chat earlier! Lab diamonds and natural diamonds look and thermally test identically (the only test most jewellers have in store).

So, lab diamond manufacturers include a microscopic engraving on the very edge of their lab diamonds which reads LAB to alert jewellers and appraisers of lab made origin.

Aside from that, it takes more advanced testing to discover lab made origin (like spectroscopy and/or advanced fluorescence testing).

Lab diamonds are beautiful!

And on top of all that, it looks like the band has been hollowed out, probably wafer thin like the signet ring I bought from them, which dents at the slightest touch.

I submitted a question about that, which was rejected.

But someone else has posted the same question, but no answer so far, not surprising.

This range was discussed not long ago when it first came to Q and as I said then, they are identical to diamonds - more importantly, they TEST as diamonds.

An unscrupulous jeweller could buy it off you then sell it on re-mounted in a different ring.

The visual difference between CZ stones and natural or lab-grown is obvious. To find a natural diamond as white and without inclusions as Eek would be very rare and very costly. At first glance, the lab-growns will pass to any jeweller as natural so if you want a real diamond at half the price (at least) of the real thing this could be a consideration.

They're also conflict-free which is a big plus.

The jewellery trade is rife with modified natural stones that are filled and heat-treated but sold as higher grades. Even worse are the High Street chains that will sell low-grade diamonds of poor colour and so included they look speckled grey (that you will definitely NEVER get back anywhere near what you paid - which in the chains' case will be massively over-priced). I don't mind the look of some of these 'speckled' diamonds but I hate that they're sold as 'the best' to people who don't know better.

I have a beautiful 2ct+ antique cut diamond that I've been told to send for re-cutting into a modern brilliant and sell. Neither of which I'll be doing as it's very sentimental (mum's that I had re-set) and I prefer the cut to the moderns. If anyone is interested Google OEC diamonds, particularly jewelsbygrace.com or have a look at the August Vintage cut stones on goodoldgold.com (I was also lucky enough to have inherited a lovely old cushion cut - lucky in that I still have them because had they not been in my purse ready for re-sizing, my ex would have taken those as well as my nan's engagement ring and other family heirlooms).

If I wanted a bigger stone but couldn't afford a diamond I'd go for one of these with no hesitation. The 2ct is cheaper than a 1ct of similar spec at a high-end jeweller in my nearest city. I reckon I'd get near the same price for either if I sold them second-hand but will have had a really nice bigger stone (2ct looks better on my hand than 1ct - though some people do look better with smaller stones) to wear in the meantime.

Then there's the insurance aspect. A lot of people are uncomfortable wearing expensive jewellery out or can't afford to insure it. So they end up leaving it in the safe and wearing CZ instead.

If, as in my case, the marriage fails and the arsehole demands the ring back it won't sting as much to return something you know he wouldn't get back quite as much had it been the real thing. If, as I did, you get the 'demand' letter for your engagement ring AFTER the divorce is done and dusted, do as I did and return a similar CZ instead (and then sell it yourself). I later heard that he was a bit angry - hopping ****** mad apparently - when he took it to sell and was told it was worthless. (He looks like Yosemite Sam, too :D)

And there's the absolute joy with CZ. They look convincing enough to someone without experience but don't cost a lot.

My late sister inherited my Dad`s long elegant fingers and I got the short and fat ones. Consequently I really don`t suit big stones of any kind, real ones, faux ones or semi precious ones. The space between the bottom of my fingers and my knuckles is minimal so I have to go for narrow rings.
I`m very sentimental about my jewellery whether the pieces cost a little or a lot and I`d never follow the American trend of constantly upgrading things. I used to be on an American jewellery forum and it was as if many of the women were simply trying to outdo each other by constantly trading in and buying something bigger. I could never do that with my engagement rings, wedding rings or jewellery gifted to me. I still have a string of beads my older 2 sons bought me off a market stall with their pocket money. To me size simply doesn`t matter, its the sentiment which means everything.

My OH's oldest sister died recently, and a valuable vintage diamond ring has gone missing.

She suspects that a cousin stole it when she had access to her house, but nothing can be proved, especially as this side of the family are living in Australia.

It was left to my OH, and she intended to give it away to her favourite relative.

I just love jewellery and wear everything from good diamonds, emeralds, ruby and sapphire through to Eek and even plastic. Silver and gold. If I like it I wear it the only difference I’m even more careful with the good stuff. Design is everything to me, if I don't like the setting it could be worth a million and I wouldn’t wear it .

I just love jewellery and wear everything from good diamonds, emeralds, ruby and sapphire through to Eek and even plastic. Silver and gold. If I like it I wear it the only difference I’m even more careful with the good stuff. Design is everything to me, if I don't like the setting it could be worth a million and I wouldn’t wear it .

Give it to me then please.

My OH's oldest sister died recently, and a valuable vintage diamond ring has gone missing.

She suspects that a cousin stole it when she had access to her house, but nothing can be proved, especially as this side of the family are living in Australia.

It was left to my OH, and she intended to give it away to her favourite relative.

That is so low. Some people simply have no conscience.

My late sister inherited my Dad`s long elegant fingers and I got the short and fat ones. Consequently I really don`t suit big stones of any kind, real ones, faux ones or semi precious ones. The space between the bottom of my fingers and my knuckles is minimal so I have to go for narrow rings.
I`m very sentimental about my jewellery whether the pieces cost a little or a lot and I`d never follow the American trend of constantly upgrading things. I used to be on an American jewellery forum and it was as if many of the women were simply trying to outdo each other by constantly trading in and buying something bigger. I could never do that with my engagement rings, wedding rings or jewellery gifted to me. I still have a string of beads my older 2 sons bought me off a market stall with their pocket money. To me size simply doesn`t matter, its the sentiment which means everything.

That's interesting, because wasn't it reported that Meghan Markle the American, had more diamonds added to her engagement ring ? - the one that Harry designed with an ethically sourced diamond and stones belonging to his mother . If true, then clearly she wasn't content with hapless Harry's choice.

That's interesting, because wasn't it reported that Meghan Markle the American, had more diamonds added to her engagement ring ? - the one that Harry designed with an ethically sourced diamond and stones belonging to his mother . If true, then clearly she wasn't content with hapless Harry's choice.

She had the band made thinner and set with diamonds. How sad.

Did anybody watch the programme about Aspreys last night on ITV ? It was a repeat but showed just how much money some people spend there. One Saudi princess bought 12 handbags at roughly £40K to £70K EACH and another customer bought some rather cheap earrings (ha ha ) for his wife at around £15K, not to mention the Chinese man who bought 2 special edition Rolex watches in one go and an American lady who paid around £13K for salt and pepper mills.
The craftsmen/women they have there are amazing though and many many items are made by hand and totally from scratch. It followed the making of a gem encrusted necklace and bracelet set from design to completion and it took over 4 months. Beautiful when finished.
Next Friday on Channel 5 there`s a programme about Tiffanys which should be interesting. I walked around Tiffanys in Hawaii, they had subdued lighting in the store so the jewellery in the cabinets shone brighter under the spotlights, nothing had a price on show, they had armed security guys on the door and the only people I saw buying anything in there were Japanese which is ironic because just up the road is Pearl Harbour but many rich Japanese men own hotels there or visit there on business.

'I was also lucky enough to have inherited a lovely old cushion cut - lucky in that I still have them because had they not been in my purse ready for re-sizing, my ex would have taken those as well as my nan's engagement ring and other family heirlooms'.
Oh alter, what a vile individual.

Latest posts

Back