Lab grown diamonds

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

What I notice on both QVC and Gems is the rubies they're raving over them, oh look at the red. Er, they are not true red but sort of pinkish red. Then I see rubies in Malcolm's and Lunns(two high-end jewellers here), costing ££££+ and they are proper blood-red.

I remember getting a gemstone book from Gems way back free with my first order pre-2005, and it mentioned that most of the rubies sold are glass filled. That means they have cracks and to make them jewellery wearable they fill with glass. It is recognized and accepted in the jewellery industry. To get an unfilled one then you pay ££££ for just the ruby stone without diamonds.

Oh, caught this piece of info whilst doing my usual flicking around shopping channels in ad breaks. Seems the Russian Diopside mine has been closed. So that will be the next OMG how can we be selling it at this price as it is so rare. I have nice 5 stone yellow gold one bought back when QVC used to sell it and talked about the man and his dog who guarded the mine. ;)

What I notice on both QVC and Gems is the rubies they're raving over them, oh look at the red. Er, they are not true red but sort of pinkish red. Then I see rubies in Malcolm's and Lunns(two high-end jewellers here), costing ££££+ and they are proper blood-red.

I remember getting a gemstone book from Gems way back free with my first order pre-2005, and it mentioned that most of the rubies sold are glass filled. That means they have cracks and to make them jewellery wearable they fill with glass. It is recognized and accepted in the jewellery industry. To get an unfilled one then you pay ££££ for just the ruby stone without diamonds.

Oh, caught this piece of info whilst doing my usual flicking around shopping channels in ad breaks. Seems the Russian Diopside mine has been closed. So that will be the next OMG how can we be selling it at this price as it is so rare. I have nice 5 stone yellow gold one bought back when QVC used to sell it and talked about the man and his dog who guarded the mine. ;)
I remember Russian Diopside on Q and prices were quite reasonable (unless I had more disposable income then :unsure:). Was it only called Russian on Q and chrome diopside everywhere else?

There is a trend of getting your ashes made into a diamond. We are after all carbon based. Now it did not show how they did it but did show the end result a diamond set into a ring for the family member to wear. A jeweller was asked to grade inspect it but said he could not as it was not a natural grown diamond and its worth was to the family.
My funeral's planned & paid for; a private cremation, nobody present, & my ashes left at the crematorium. Will & PoA are written & I've left details of where my possessions are to go with only one item of jewellery being kept for my second granddaughter.

Been answered (swoon) - - - -

Hi there,

The shank has FL stamped inside it to indicate it is from the Fire Light Lab Grown Diamond collection.

This is the only additional marking on the ring and diamond apart from the hallmarks.

Hope this helps,

QVC

BTW I forgot to ask if the ring was hollowed out, it looks like it is, even at £7K

I'm listening to You and Yours on BBC radio 4 at 1215 today.

They just said that there will be a segment about lab-grown diamonds.

It's not been on yet so I don't know if it will be worth listening to.

Been answered (swoon) - - - -

Hi there,

The shank has FL stamped inside it to indicate it is from the Fire Light Lab Grown Diamond collection.

This is the only additional marking on the ring and diamond apart from the hallmarks.

Hope this helps,

QVC

BTW I forgot to ask if the ring was hollowed out, it looks like it is, even at £7K
Vague answer, so is the diamond stamped as well? If not then stone can be removed and ”fool” someone, as the Radio4 programme alluded to.

Vague answer, so is the diamond stamped as well? If not then stone can be removed and ”fool” someone, as the Radio4 programme alluded to.
That's why jewellers are asking for them to be laser-engraved. Unscrupulous people/dealers could sell them on as real without whatever they've been set in.

That's why jewellers are asking for them to be laser-engraved. Unscrupulous people/dealers could sell them on as real without whatever they've been set in.
Q harp on about eek being a simulation of D flawless grades, well lab grown won’t have inclusions etc either I’d have thought so are jewellers really being fooled by 2ct+ stonkers turning up in their stores? Seems so!

Q harp on about eek being a simulation of D flawless grades, well lab grown won’t have inclusions etc either I’d have thought so are jewellers really being fooled by 2ct+ stonkers turning up in their stores? Seems so!
That's what I was going to say as well.

Most diamonds except the very best and expensive will have inclusions and/ or not be pure colourless, so when a perfect 2ct diamond arrives in a jewellers, surely they MUST suspect it is lab grown.

I thought the idea of the lab grown wasnt to replicate flawless but to give a larger sized diamond of the grades us mere mortals would buy. So lab diamond would replicate, including flaws, a VSI grade G to H colour diamond but instead of getting a one carat real diamond for your money you can get a two carat lab grown one. Phew did that make sense?

I though they were to be regarded as real diamonds? They are much cheaper than the true mined diamond but I would not pay anywhere near the lab created prices for something still classed as fake.

I've never owned a real diamond ring but I have one or two fake diamonique rings. There is one I own that people always notice (a 1ct equivalent) and say what a beautiful ring. This was the one a friend (or was it mum?) thought was a real engagement ring lol. To be fair it does look like the real thing and it is real gold. Price? Under £50 in clearance!

CC

Latest posts

Back