Lab grown diamonds

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I get the feeling that in a few years time, lab grown diamonds will be poo pooed by the jewellery industry as real diamonds will have a rarity value.

A bit like jewellers dismiss any jewellery by QVC and refuse to resize or repair. The spiel by presenters when jewellery was their main sell, was "go and ask your local jeweller what value he would put on it", ha ! my jeweller wouldn't touch my ring (because I wanted it resized), he spotted QVC inside it, and just said 'send it back and get a new size". He was very sniffy about it.

Diamonds are the most common gemstone, now many are not jewellery grade they made stereo needles out of them in the days of vinyl, which is making a come back.

So really they are not all that, as I said if was all Tiffany making them sound oh so special.

It is was the same with Gems, jewellers looked down on their noses because it was a TV channel.

Diamonds are the most common gemstone, now many are not jewellery grade they made stereo needles out of them in the days of vinyl, which is making a come back.

So really they are not all that, as I said if was all Tiffany making them sound oh so special.

It is was the same with Gems, jewellers looked down on their noses because it was a TV channel.
Many years ago a woman who worked in the same office as me, was telling us how she'd being trying to sell a ring she didn't want any more. It was diamond and sapphire set in 9 carat gold, stones were of a decent size, the band wasn't as thin as wire and it wasn't cheap either. She told us that 3 separate jewellers took a look at it, said they liked it but as soon as they got the loupe to it said "Sorry love, it's from a club book" and to add insult to injury one of them added "so it's worth nothing I'm afraid"
Most people, I'd imagine don't buy their jewellery with the intention of selling it on so it wouldn't matter so much, but to be told that your ring has been devalued because it's been bought from a catalogue or a shopping channel is terrible. You hear these presenters, especially on the auction channels to tell you to get the stuff valued for insurance purposes. If the customer is subsequently told it's worth about tuppence ha'penny because it's got TJC inscribed inside - Not good is it?
Is there some kind of law that states that precious metal/stoned rings have to show an indication of where it was bought? If not, then they shouldn't do it if it cheapens the product unecessarily!

Yes, Merryone. Not all diamonds used in jewellery are no included, can't see anything with the human eye, but a jeweller with a loop will see. Real high grade diamonds come with a card to prove they are worth what is being asked.

I always laugh at Gems TV they show the 3 the carat weight and from Tiffany stone sold for £££££ and then their piece in thin gold for £££. The presenters foaming at the mouth at the price they are selling it at, but it is not the same quality.

I think the opposite is true. The Jewellers are sniffy because you bought something that's excellent quality and a good price.I have all my QVC gold that I bought from day one. Some are Eek some solid well made gold. Maybe they can't/won't resell QVC items because its for QVC stamped on it. Thats not the same as saying its rubbish But that they would rather something with just a regular hallmark. You never get what you paid for any jewellery. its very rarely an investment. I buy what I like. I prefer Gold for rings as I wear my rings all the time. Other items I wear QVC silver with gold on top. Cheap as chips wear them for years and look good.

Yes, Merryone. Not all diamonds used in jewellery are no included, can't see anything with the human eye, but a jeweller with a loop will see. Real high grade diamonds come with a card to prove they are worth what is being asked.

I always laugh at Gems TV they show the 3 the carat weight and from Tiffany stone sold for £££££ and then their piece in thin gold for £££. The presenters foaming at the mouth at the price they are selling it at, but it is not the same quality.
So is it actually the quality of the stones that affect the jeweller's decision or the fact it's inscribed with a catalogue, or shopping channel's name? I only asked because the jeweller didn't mention that the stones weren't up to scratch..it was just the fact it was from a "club book" as he put it? If it is the stones alone, would lets say a gold ring without stones be devalued by the qvc hallmark inside?

I have a ring its very old design I dont wear it as its too small. The diamond is cut in the old fashioned cuts so not as sparkly as the newer cuts and its included. You ave to pay a good bit of money to get a good diamond ring. Bigger does not always mean better

I think the opposite is true. The Jewellers are sniffy because you bought something that's excellent quality and a good price.I have all my QVC gold that I bought from day one. Some are Eek some solid well made gold. Maybe they can't/won't resell QVC items because its for QVC stamped on it. Thats not the same as saying its rubbish But that they would rather something with just a regular hallmark. You never get what you paid for any jewellery. its very rarely an investment. I buy what I like. I prefer Gold for rings as I wear my rings all the time. Other items I wear QVC silver with gold on top. Cheap as chips wear them for years and look good.
I totally agree . It’s the second hand car salesman sucking in whilst shaking the head syndrome.

The stuff I bought back in the day were all heavy, not hollowed out gold or in heavy silver. I have drawers full of the stuff and still buy the odd bit from eBay.

I doubt I would buy now though as it is produced down to a price and they don’t have any styles or stones I like. I still buy the odd bit of Eek in silver and it’s still as good as ever.

I had looked at a lovely ring on Etsy which was brushed silver with a small tourmalime and even smaller diamonds the stones bezel set in a gold collar. It was £425 so not cheap for silver - it was lovely though. Nice jewellery is expensive and has no second hand value you should just buy to enjoy. Even treating it as a family heirloom isn’t worthwhile as it’s unlikely they will have your taste and will be lumbered with stuff they don’t like.

Yes people`s tastes change and jewellery styles come in and go out. When my Mum passed away in 1987 my Dad divvied up what jewellery she had and gave it to me, my sister and my sister in law. One of the items he gave me was a large cameo brooch with a gold surround and a gold safety chain. I hated it but it was the 80`s , I was in my late 30`s with 3 kids and brooches were something you rarely saw worn except on elderly ladies.
Fast forward many years to today and I love that brooch. It sat unloved and unworn for 4 decades but now my tastes have totally changed plus brooches seem to have been given a second innings, much of it thanks to the likes of Butler and Wilson and other costume jewellery brands.
I don`t have any daughters but I do have granddaughters and daughter in laws so my stuff will go to them. I don`t expect them to love every piece and I`m hoping they won`t be tempted to sell them or give them away even if they dislike them. I once read an article where a woman had inherited her Mum`s jewellery and most of it wasn`t to her taste so she had the decent sized precious and semi precious stones removed from some items and mounted into a wide gold cuff. Obviously it cost her a lot of money for the gold and also to have it made but she at least had something she loved and which had sentimental value too.
During the series All That Glitters one of their weekly challenges was to make a cuff with stones set into it which reminded me of the article I`d read. Of course I won`t be around to see what happens to my jewellery after I`ve gone but I hope it will be treasured even if it isn`t being worn, just like I did with Mum`s cameo brooch.

You only have to watch programmes like Flog It to see that jewellery can fetch very little - unless you're on the Antiques Road Show and then granny's brooch can be worth thousands.

I was given as part of an inheritance a single carat diamond ring set in platinum Circa 1950's and made in Holland. Also a good size sapphire and diamond ring. I have no kids to pass them onto so decided to sell. A local reputable jeweller offered me £100 FOR THE TWO !!!! Insulted didn't begin to cover how I felt. So I passed them onto my best friend's two daughters - rather given them away than take a pittance.

So is it actually the quality of the stones that affect the jeweller's decision or the fact it's inscribed with a catalogue, or shopping channel's name? I only asked because the jeweller didn't mention that the stones weren't up to scratch..it was just the fact it was from a "club book" as he put it? If it is the stones alone, would lets say a gold ring without stones be devalued by the qvc hallmark inside?
That is what it should be. But jewellers of course will not like that shopping channels can sell cheaper. I actually remember back in the day when Diamonique did not have the QVC mark on it or the rest of their jewellery. Seems some jewellers got caught out not checking properly and buying for a higher price.

It is said you buy in a jewellers gold or whatever jewellery the minute you set foot out the door it loses 1/3 of its price.

When the gold prices went nuts, you were getting really great prices for it, but it was valued as scrap they just were not interested in the stones. I sold some broken pieces earrings a few lightweight neck chains and got over £300. Bought a new laptop. On eBay, I bought a lovely what was then called hot pink sapphire 9ct white gold ring with diamonds. The seller it turned out was just selling pretty rings with nice stones as he normally just bought scrap gold. The next thing I looked and all the gemstone jewellery he was selling tripled in price. Someone must have told him Er those are sapphires, rubies etc.:ROFLMAO:

I used to buy from a lady on eBay who designed her own jewellery, I bought earrings with gemstones to match rings I owned. All in 9ct gold as well. If asked for certain stones she would custom-make for me. The prices were excellent, morganite and rose quartz 9ct white gold drops are a pair I get asked about a lot. Then she left eBay and started her own site and the prices really went up, earrings I could get for say £30 suddenly £80+ You don't really get great deals on eBay now even Diamonique is very expensive I have seen a ring I own 14ct and used selling for 3 times what I paid for mine.

I can remember when telly shopping was looked down on as poor quality and feel that some jewellers may still have that view. In my simple world if the gold/gem is like for like in grade and clarity having nothing, QVC, Gems or Tiffany etched shouldn't impact the price. But I suppose like everything g the price is based on what the jeweller thinks they can sell for and if their customer will be object to a ring with QVC referenced inside it. That said I have had Gems rings re-sized when they no longer fit with no comment or criticism as to where I have sourced them.

The Antiques Road Show the prices they give are for insurance only, they never guarantee it will sell for the price they quote.

It was Diamonique they started stamping with QVC. The gold and silver bracelets sometimes have it. I have never had a gemstone ring stamped with QVC.

I remember when Q boasted about Diamonique being made in a laboratory or something similar so now I wonder are lab grown diamonds any different. I wont be buying real or lab grown diamonds as I am happy with the ones I’ve got.

I don't think that any jewellery should be marked QVC (other shopping channels are available, it seem like the law that everyone has to say this nowadays lol).

Shall I ask a cheeky question when they next have an expensive ring whether it is stamped QVC?
Yes strato, ask when they have a AAAA tanzanite show! And if heat treated whilst you are at it!

Latest posts

Back