Julia Roberts STILL asking for "Christian" names

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
JR really needs to stop this. every time she invites people to text in, she says "you just need to tell us your christian name and where you are".
whats wrong with "first name"?

i cannot believe she hasnt been pulled up on this. i am a white english non-religeous man and i notice it every time she does it. and take my word i am NOT the PC type! bugger only knows what any other religeon or culture thinks of it.

someone tell her that her audience arent all christians?... please?

I think BB is exactly right this grates on me everytime she says it.

Wow, I am shocked at the vehemence this has produced and haven't seen such reactionary answers since picking up a used copy of the Daily Mail on the train recently. This is the TWENTY-FIRST century is it not?? I fell I have been placed in a weird time-warp.

I would say that the word "christian " is not offensive or insulting at all but to PRESUME that a caller is one religion or the other is. Particularly when selling tat on telly , where is the religion relevant at all ????????

Yes this is Britain and Britain has been home to Jewish, Chinese , African, Arab, communities for since the late mddle ages and Moslem , Buddist , Shinto ,Hindu, Sikh , Rastafarian Zoroastian etc etc to in the Last century. Plenty of time for La Roberts to deal with it since she is a bit more long in the tooth than she behaves.

Also Britain has not always been Christian !! Yes things DO change folks .
Why do you think people have come here ,? for openness and tolerance NOT if you don't like it you can get out type of attitude.

I find it hard not to take attitudes like those in some of these posts personally ( I am not going into my ethnic or religious background it is not any that have been mentioned ), I know people generally are innocent /ignorant of the offence they may cause but that is no reason to condone that offence .

For the record I do not think that Julia is a strict practiser of Christian faith as the has been living over the brush with her man for years. OOooh and child out of wedlock ... Would be acceptable for me to refer to her daughter as a ******* , that is the correct traditional usage of the term isn't it. ?

See now I am a bit rattled , the last paragraph was not the normal laid back me it was just to prove a point about people being very keen on defending tradition when they feel like it.

And , yes she has been pulled up on it by two people I know personally , and therefore I imagine many more have phoned and complained. These two were very different characters one a flamboyant atheist camp canal street queen and the second a born-again friend of mine who is doing a doctorate in Theology and is planning to be a vicar later in his career. So everytime I hear her say it it grates more as I feel she is making a point. Particularly as some have mentioned it takesmore effort and a longer time to say that "text your name" like everyone else does.

Also the name "julia" I am not sure that is a Christian name itself without Wiki-ing it I am guessing Pagan Rome perhaps??

Ok .. rant over I feel better now. Phew!
And now you all have an example of someone it does offend and no longer need to imagine how anyone could be bothered about it. The evidence is here in my sitting room.

When you're brought up with all around you using the terms christian name & surname it is very hard to 'undo' 40+ years of habit.

I have a 'christian' name though I am not technically a christian - it is exactly the same as my first name, my given name or whatever else you want to call it. I do not get offended when somebody aks me for my christian name - isn't that called tolerance :confused:

I would say that the word "christian " is not offensive or insulting at all but to PRESUME that a caller is one religion or the other is. Particularly when selling tat on telly , where is the religion relevant at all ???????? Why do you presume that Julia presumes the callers religion?

Also Britain has not always been Christian !! Yes things DO change folks . We are all aware of this.
Why do you think people have come here ,? for openness and tolerance NOT if you don't like it you can get out type of attitude.

I find it hard not to take attitudes like those in some of these posts personally ( I am not going into my ethnic or religious background it is not any that have been mentioned ), I know people generally are innocent /ignorant of the offence they may cause but that is no reason to condone that offence . I do not think that people are condoning any offence, it is merely being discussed in a good natured and adult way. The people on this forum are educated as this debate has proven.

For the record I do not think that Julia is a strict practiser of Christian faith as the has been living over the brush with her man for years. OOooh and child out of wedlock ... Would be acceptable for me to refer to her daughter as a ******* , that is the correct traditional usage of the term isn't it. ?See now I am a bit rattled , the last paragraph was not the normal laid back me it was just to prove a point about people being very keen on defending tradition when they feel like it. Again, we are debating an interesting point without being personal and offensive.

And , yes she has been pulled up on it by two people I know personally , and therefore I imagine many more have phoned and complained. These two were very different characters one a flamboyant atheist camp canal street queen [/COLOR Do you not think this is an offensive description of your friend? As an atheist is he/she aked for their atheist name?

Mrs Timber I see you are NOT a fan of La Roberts!! :SUE: :pPC:

Mrs Timber I see you are NOT a fan of La Roberts!! :SUE: :pPC:

Neither a fan nor an UN-fan historically. But I am flexible and veering away from the fan side rapidly. It was the answers to BBs post that had me rattled more than the stubborn buxom one. :p

But this issue does in fact grate as my friend who is here now dicussing this with me , says he has called a few times to comment on it . It is the making a point that I find rude of her , so yes down in my estimation she has gone.

I see how people say it is hard to change a habit , but when people refuse to try and poo-poo the concern raised then they are denying the validity of others opinions.

My ex-boyfriends father whilst claiming not to be racist referred to black people with derogatory names. He was very reactionary to being told what to do by the "PC brigade " . Said he didn't mean anything by it ...etc etc.. Thats the way he was brought up etc etc. I raised what and why it was offensive and you know what he changed and those words were first banished from the house and then from his life altogether. Age isn't really an excuse.

I am not comparing JR to making a racist statement her faux pas is much more subtle ..
TO give a more QVC relevant example
My hero in this is Dale...... ( an old dog learning new tricks example )

See how he stopped pronouncing briolette cut as "briolay" because callers had pointed it out to him. Imagine if the debate on this forum had been ... it doesn't bother me, if you don't like briolay you can get out.. We have ALWAYS said briolay, one should be tolerant of briolay etc etc,

I once asked a girl on my first day of school at the next desk what her Christian name was, she answered that it was Laxmi and that she wasn't Christian , we laughed and age 6 I learned that presumption is rude.

Although it really doesn't bother me one way or t'other I can see where you are coming from Mrs Timber. I can also see that Queen Julia would simply dig her heels in and continue saying it as
NO-ONE would be allowed to tell the doyenne of QVC what to do. :rolleyes: Now paradoxically the briolette/briolay thing, although trivial in comparison, does aggravate me and that smug know-all little oik Charlie continues to say it incorrectly, another example of someone too impressed with his own self importance. :rolleyes: :pPC:

I agree with BurlyBear.

I have always been a bit disappointed, saddened and left out, that Julia calls out for 'Christian' names, seeing as I'm not Christian myself.

It has made me feel that I am inferior on a number of occasion.

I must admit i totally agree with burly bear, moreover isnt it a shame that people cant give their opinions without being blasted on here, if someone finds something offensive then it is offensive to someone!
Could we maybe teach Julia to think twice by all texting in and using the forename Mustapha? she might twig .... maybe ?

When you're brought up with all around you using the terms christian name & surname it is very hard to 'undo' 40+ years of habit.

I have a 'christian' name though I am not technically a christian - it is exactly the same as my first name, my given name or whatever else you want to call it. I do not get offended when somebody aks me for my christian name - isn't that called tolerance :confused:
Well said I agree. To me tradition and common usage of language are far more important than this bluddy PC malarky.

I am not comparing JR to making a racist statement her faux pas is much more subtle ..
TO give a more QVC relevant example
My hero in this is Dale...... ( an old dog learning new tricks example )

Can you not see how easy it is to offend someone Mrs Timber? If we really want to pick out words can be construed as offensive, then Dale could be offended by being called an old dog.

dont know what all the fuss is about, to many things we cant say anymore in case someone is offended.

I do not have a problem with people saying "Christian" name.
I don't believe in mass religion so it doesn't bother me one way or the other it is just a word to me.

I have more important things to worry about that whether someone says "Christian" rather than "first". I don't find it in the least bit offensive.

Bit of a storm in a D cup for me, or maybe even an E cup ;)

Very well said if we were all tolerant of everyone's belief perhaps we would never heard of all this PC rubbish and I'd imagine very few wars would have started

Yes this is Britain and Britain has been home to Jewish, Chinese , African, Arab, communities for since the late mddle ages and Moslem , Buddist , Shinto ,Hindu, Sikh , Rastafarian Zoroastian etc etc to in the Last century. Plenty of time for La Roberts to deal with it since she is a bit more long in the tooth than she behaves.

Freddie Mercury was a Zoroastrian and I don't s'pose he cared what anyone called him and Rastas are probably too stoned too care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back