It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas......

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It's been snowing in Northants for the past couple of hours. It's light and powdery at the moment, but it's settling and the temperature is below zero so it doesn't look as though there's any chance of it thawing. I work from home on Fridays so at least I haven't got to venture out. I've also got British Gas coming this afternoon to fit a magnabooster onto the heating system, so that will be fun (if he is able to get here) when he has to drain the system via an open door. :eek:

We are scheduled to have snow until tomorrow, if our local forecast is to be believed, so I think I'll just batten down the hatches and stay in until I have to venture out for work on Monday (because our school stays open whatever the weather conditions.)

I hope that all of you stay safe and snug and warm if you're 'enjoying' the white stuff.

We have 3-4" of snow here & youngest is having a day off college as all buses into town have now been cancelled........*what a shambles*.......bl**dy pathetic, all the Polish peeps that live round here must be laughing their socks off at our ineptness & weediness at dealing what is really a fairly light snowfall!
(I did point out to bus company lady that having spent a number of years in Scandinavia, the entire country there does not grind to a halt because of 'snow', FFS!) :mysmilie_854:

We have 6 inches and it is still coming down, had chaos in our road just now cars everywhere and kids coming out of school in road opposite.

No snow here yet, just sleety rain.

BusyMum you casually say we might owe them £10000. Gulp , i'd be screaming :headbang: Hope you get it sorted. And hope everyone else
is safe inside and warm. I'm going nowhere, and Hopey is still asleep on pouffee. (posh) that.

And i hope all the wee children and mummies and daddies get to build snowmen, oh the fun of it...:envy:

If you had to travel today this thread would help you plan a route a lot better than the met office lol!

BIG flakes here now.

:mysmilie_462:

PS: Hope you've all got your Winter Trax at the ready??

Last edited:
No snow here yet, just sleety rain.

BusyMum you casually say we might owe them £10000. Gulp , i'd be screaming :headbang: Hope you get it sorted. And hope everyone else
is safe inside and warm. I'm going nowhere, and Hopey is still asleep on pouffee. (posh) that.

And i hope all the wee children and mummies and daddies get to build snowmen, oh the fun of it...:envy:

lol Sparkly - it's their mistake surely - and you can't get blood out of a stone can you!

still no more snow but they say it's coming later - can't wait!

our usual half inch on the south coast - thawing already. louis was not impressed.

We have about 6 inches here in the south west and it is still snowing heavily. It is supposed to keep snowing here all the rest of the day and all night tonight so it can only get worse. I got hubby to collect food supplies in Tesco last night on his way home from work (not that there was much left) so we don't need to venture out. Also we can all work from home - this modern technolgy is fantastic, so no need for any of us to risk life and limb to go to work either.

I know people moan about the country coming to a halt over a few inches of snow but if like us you live in the countryside you really cannot get out of your house when it is bad. The roads become extremely dangerous and they don't do much snow clearing or gritting as they tend to spend their time doing the cities, major roads and motorways. Also all the buses stop running and any hills in the area get blocked by lorries jack knifing, so you then also end up being stuck as well.

same here roadwise rosey - if you can slip and slide your way to a main road, it's usually ok. when i was working i could see where the councils changed - one would grit and one wouldn't. lol

i don't complain about the uk grinding to a halt - compared to somewhere like scandinavia, where it's all routine, they're not going to spend a lot of money on equipment that might be dragged out once every 5 years - here in the south anyway, i know it's much worse in the north and east.

I know people moan about the country coming to a halt over a few inches of snow but if like us you live in the countryside you really cannot get out of your house when it is bad. The roads become extremely dangerous and they don't do much snow clearing or gritting as they tend to spend their time doing the cities, major roads and motorways. Also all the buses stop running and any hills in the area get blocked by lorries jack knifing, so you then also end up being stuck as well.

I've lived in the middle of virtually nowhere with several feet of snow & people manage perfectly well, because unlike in the UK, they're prepared for snow, i.e. they clear/grit/salt the roads, (small lanes/long drives being cleard by a local farmer & his tractor, for a fee of course! lol), people change to winter wheels & so on, it all works perfectly well........unless you're very rural & the pump freezes so you can't flush the loo! LOL

I mind it grinding to a halt when its been forecast for a week. I live in London on a main road that leads to a hospital. Has the road been gritted no! Cars skidding all over the place. Its ****** ridiculous.

My niece lives in Nottingham and her first baby was due yesterday, no news yet so fingers crossed he'll stay put until after the snow !

I mind it grinding to a halt when its been forecast for a week. I live in London on a main road that leads to a hospital. Has the road been gritted no! Cars skidding all over the place. Its ****** ridiculous.

yes i know what you mean. i used to work in a hospital and there was no way to get to it without going up and down a hill. i just mean if councils are strapped for cash, they're not going to have the sort of funds to keep the roads clear that they have in norway.

Just got up from typing a letter and it's snowing! My friend in the West Mids has been having a blizzard and it's supposed to be moving over to us, well, looks like it's arrived! I was hoping it would hold back until DD got safely home from work but no such luck..

All the best to your niece Diamond Diva! Whereabouts is she if I might ask? I'm sure it was you told me your sister lived Kirkby way when I was on about my Dad once, so is your niece in the same neck of the woods? It's always a top coat colder up there for all it's only 7 or 8 miles north of us!

Well fingers and legs crossed Diamond Diva that the little one will think its too cold to come out.
BM i hope your daughter gets home ok

Ppc are you back yet?

Latest posts

Back