InStyler TSV

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've got that Babyliss big style thingamy which is great for giving my hair shine and volume. And best of all it doesn't have any red hot bits to burn yourself on. BUT it doesn't do curls or straighten.

I have shoulder length hair is a sort of layered "do". It's baby fine but there's loads of it. Trouble is it tends to look thicker from the ears down so I really need a boost at the roots. Bumble & Bumble or John Freida root thickeners work for me but for best results whack in three of four big Velcro rollers in a line from fringe to back of your head for as long as you can manage after drying. That's my "top tip" for root volume.

Would quite like to try the instyler but I know I'll singe my fingers.

I'm like you Tinkerbelle, big rollers on dry hair and blast with hot dryer, it gives shine and sleekness. However I AM sending for the tsv hoping it will be of some use for when I go away, rather than stash rollers in my case.

It hasn't been mentioned on air, but does anyone know if we have to use a heat prevention spray beforehand ? The demos are all on models with already shampooed and dried hair thats already got 'bounce'

Ive been wondering about this all day. I too have got the babyliss one and its very good but it doesnt do straight,
I have fairly long thick hair, thats looks like Ive had a perm when Ive been out in the rain, so though this might do as quickie instead of totally washing it

I have really fine lank hair and have tried every styling tool and hair product to get volume. I like heated rollers but that then gives me a bit too much curl. The thing I am using at the moment and really love is the sleep in rollers http://velcrosleeprollers.com/ I just pop them in before bed and give a spritz with a styling spray and a quick 2 min blast with the hairdryer and when I get up it is just take them out and run my fingers through it. I am loving the results. Only thing is they are not very 'sexy' so if you have a hot date they might not be recommended lol

Oh, I like the look of those sleep rollers Rosey and would be happy to give them a try. It doesn't worry me about the 'hot date'.......shouldn't think that's going to happen at my age! :wink:

Any one received their Instyler yet? Any good?

I tried the original Instyler and found the barrel too big for my hair length and lethal with the heat, ouchy ouch. It also worried me seeing the 'steam' or 'smoke' that came from my hair when hair wrapped around the barrel. :mysmilie_465:

The 19mm size looked more manageable with shorter / fine hair and I nearly ordered it but thought I would wait for reviews. The reviews on QVC are favourable at the moment.

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.a...tem.400058.cm_scid.KeywordSearch#BVQAWidgetID

I've received mine and the jury is still out. First of all I tried it without watching the DVD and immediately thought it was a failure, then I watched the DVD...second attempt was much better. I am trying to grow my hair so at the moment I have a short layered bob of medium thickness. I haven't mastered any kind of curls yet and I'm not sure it's worth the money for adding volume, I can get the same effect using straighteners. What it does do well is flick hair outwards if that's what is wanted. It's probably better for longer hair, but I would say a protective heat styling product is essential, it gets hot and I've only had it on the lowest setting. i'd like to hear what other people think of it too...and can anyone recommend a heat product that does make hair sticky?

Oooooh, mine is still getting aired - there is a 'smell' coming from dust bag. So still plucking up courage to use it. l have bought some John Freida heat protector to use with it, although on all the tv demo's I didn't hear any mention of use.

I'm like you Tinkerbelle, big rollers on dry hair and blast with hot dryer, it gives shine and sleekness. However I AM sending for the tsv hoping it will be of some use for when I go away, rather than stash rollers in my case.

It hasn't been mentioned on air, but does anyone know if we have to use a heat prevention spray beforehand ? The demos are all on models with already shampooed and dried hair thats already got 'bounce'

Damn - you could've had mine cheap. Bought in the US when they first came out, it'd probably be better to take away (unless the new one has multi-voltage). I've used mine with an adapter enough times to know that it's not man enough for my hair (even an intensive blow-dry followed by half an hour of GHDing isn't man enough for my hair - I'm off to take a look at those sleep in rollers now!).

Waiting for pay so I can join the drop and put it up there if anyone's interested.

I"m with Tinkerbelle, i"ve got the Babyliss big brush thing, and i nearly do the same thing. I cant blow dry so,
just quick blow dry, use the Babyliss brush and stick big rollers in and spray some thickener on it,, and let is
"set" while i finish getting ready. Debbie Flint uses it a lot. I"ve thick hair, but just got it cut and
thinned at the sides, so trying to work with it this length now. I got burnt using all those curling things,
so don"t go there now. Actually burnt myself today on that ironing press thing (from QVC). Brill for sheets,
but boy does it hurt if you get burnt . Sorry went of subject there he he

I have really fine lank hair and have tried every styling tool and hair product to get volume. I like heated rollers but that then gives me a bit too much curl. The thing I am using at the moment and really love is the sleep in rollers http://velcrosleeprollers.com/ I just pop them in before bed and give a spritz with a styling spray and a quick 2 min blast with the hairdryer and when I get up it is just take them out and run my fingers through it. I am loving the results. Only thing is they are not very 'sexy' so if you have a hot date they might not be recommended lol

just looking at these. How do they stay in your hair? I don't like the velcro rollers but they do grip the hair and I try to be really careful when removing them. Also, does the regular size of the foam rollers suit all hair lengths?

I received mine two days ago and love it Miss BB has long straight hair and I managed to curl them. They stayed put too without and need of hair spray. I have natural curls and I straightened part of my hair, much easier and faster than the ghd's. I have done my friends daughters hair too today. She has very straight and very fine hair, love the new look! A definate keeper.

I"m with Tinkerbelle, i"ve got the Babyliss big brush thing, and i nearly do the same thing. I cant blow dry so,
just quick blow dry, use the Babyliss brush and stick big rollers in and spray some thickener on it,, and let is
"set" while i finish getting ready. Debbie Flint uses it a lot. I"ve thick hair, but just got it cut and
thinned at the sides, so trying to work with it this length now. I got burnt using all those curling things,
so don"t go there now. Actually burnt myself today on that ironing press thing (from QVC). Brill for sheets,
but boy does it hurt if you get burnt . Sorry went of subject there he he

Just to say thanks for the Babyliss recommendation - I've just bought one. I'm busy growing my hair out from a chin length bob to get it down to my shoulders. My hair is very thick and it tends to just hang down and look rather lifeless when its been grown out so I'm hoping the Babyliss will add a bit of va-va-voom and keep me from begging the hairdresser to cut it all off when I am feeling fed up (she has advance warned me that she will refuse to cut my hair off whilst I'm growing it out as she knows I will will regret it!)

I've received mine and the jury is still out. First of all I tried it without watching the DVD and immediately thought it was a failure, then I watched the DVD...second attempt was much better. I am trying to grow my hair so at the moment I have a short layered bob of medium thickness. I haven't mastered any kind of curls yet and I'm not sure it's worth the money for adding volume, I can get the same effect using straighteners. What it does do well is flick hair outwards if that's what is wanted. It's probably better for longer hair, but I would say a protective heat styling product is essential, it gets hot and I've only had it on the lowest setting. i'd like to hear what other people think of it too...and can anyone recommend a heat product that does make hair sticky?
I received mine today and agree on all points above, very tempted to send it back on Monday since my £25 Babyliss straighteners do a better job. What a shame about the postage. I have a Babyliss hot air brush but its wide, I can still use it though.

Last edited:
Flamenco, i think its pretty good and you can experiment with it and it gives my thick hair
a bit of bounce. Its down to my shoulders and wispy at the sides, my idea, trying to get
to grips with it. So good luck with it, happy experimenting :happy:

I am really not sure what to make of this Instyler. Have tried it since it arrived a few days ago, BUT noticed that one side of my hair is nice and smooth and the other side has gone 'all endy' with bits sticking out. The rotating barrel only rotates one way so how can I get the other side to be smooth like the other? Not sure whether to keep it or not as at the moment I use the Babyliss Big Hair styler which although is great, I find that I am constantly catching my hair in the sides which is then being pulled out. My GHD which although I love, I find my hair looks too flattened and I also really fancied having a tool which did volume, curls and straightening all in one..... has anyone else noticed that one side of their hair looks different because of the barrel?

Yes I've noticed that when I style the right side of my hair it looks lovely coz the barrel rotates down, but doing the left side the barrel rotates UP so it sort of creases my hair and pushes it up and out from the barrel. I do notice tho that if I put a thicker section of hair through I don't have this problem, but do have to go over it again. Thought it was great when using on others hair (my 5 yr old had her hair curled with it in Sunday for a party)

I am interested in the Babyliss big hair thing that people have been mentioning, is it a rotating brush?
Thanks

I am interested in the Babyliss big hair thing that people have been mentioning, is it a rotating brush?
Thanks

Hello Dipper, yes it is a rotating hot styling brush. I have just purchased one from Amazon for just over £30.00 with free P&P. Unfortunately I haven't used it yet so can't give you any further details.

Thank you for that. I really tried with the instyler but it just didn't seem worth the money, maybe if my hair was longer and I could have got the curls I may have felt differently. I think I'll give the babyliss big hair thingy a go - I have to do something as my mom has just been round and said, "what are you going to do about your hair?" And moms are generally never wrong! Mine is 77 years old and still puts me right!

Latest posts

Back