Footless tights are back in then....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Sorry BB but if women want to wear leggings or footless tights as you call them, then in 9 cases out of 10 I for one am always glad when they wear a tunic or dress over them. Unless the woman is young and slim there`s nothing looks worse than someone wearing leggings with a short top, bums and bellies for all the world to see and not a pretty sight. They`re a bone of contention in this house because my husband`s daughter who`se 40 has hit her second childhood and her Dad is despairing. On Christmas Day she arrived wearing pvc and leopard skin leggings and on New Year`s Day she arrived wearing bright flowery ones, both skin tight, both with short tops and both looked horrendous. She`s 40, small and chunky and resembled Max Wall on a bad day. Both her Dad and her brother said she was an embarrassment in them and I have to agree. This last 12 months she`s gone mad and turned from a well behaved nicely dressed woman into a tarty looking p*ss head out on the town on Friday nights with her equally loud and badly dressed mates. My poor hubby is besides himself to see how she`s changed.

Oh dear. :sad:
I wear leggings & long t-shirts/tunic tops most days. I am 51. Oops then.
I can't wear dresses as I am an 'uneven' size (with a hinge for an ar$e to boot!), 10-12 top, 8 bottom. Dresses are either too tight round the top, swamp me at the bottom....or both!
I can't wear heels as I can just about walk across a flat carpet in a pair of Birkenstocks.
I can no longer comfortably wear jeans as I bloat easily (& instantly if I eat the 'wrong' food!) & the list of foods I can eat without this as a result gets smaller & smaller every month.
I am quite crushed to realise I apparently look both hideous and a bit 'mutton dressed as lamb'. I thought I looked reasonably 'nice'. :sad:

Kitten, leggings with long tops or dresses look fine. I`m 59 and wear them under long knitted dresses. Neither you nor I would venture out with skin tight leggings and a short tight top. If I did that they`d think I`d escaped from somewhere lol

Kitten, leggings with long tops or dresses look fine. I`m 59 and wear them under long knitted dresses. Neither you nor I would venture out with skin tight leggings and a short tight top. If I did that they`d think I`d escaped from somewhere lol

Phew then....& no, I wouldn't, I don't want people to see I have a hinge for an ar$e, it's the smallest part of me but I like to keep it well covered up! LOL

One of the DDs like to stomp around in such as you describe, I hate it & frequently point out that you can see her bl**dy underwear through the super tight/thin leggings but she couldn't give a stuff apparently, absolutely horrific IMHO! :down:

Phew then....& no, I wouldn't, I don't want people to see I have a hinge for an ar$e, it's the smallest part of me but I like to keep it well covered up! LOL

One of the DDs like to stomp around in such as you describe, I hate it & frequently point out that you can see her bl**dy underwear through the super tight/thin leggings but she couldn't give a stuff apparently, absolutely horrific IMHO! :down:

I agree but I bet your daughter isn`t 40 and the Mother of 2 teenage girls like my hubby`s daughter is.

I love leggings but I normally wear leggings, a long top and high heel boots. I don't mind leggings with a frock but if I wear them with shows then I prefer cropped leggings. I've never worn full length leggings with shoes.

I never flash my backside in leggings. Honest.

I am guilty of leggings with dresses. In my defence I wear them because I find tights too cold for walking the dogs and I dislike trousers. I wouldn't go "out" in the though. I would wear woollen tights all year round if people wouldn't look at me like I'm a freak (although I have been known to wear a scarf in summer).

Totally utterly agree with your post on all levels lol

My daughter has lost nearly 4 stone and is forever complaining of feeling the cold, and so at christmas i bought her couple of thermal vests from
markss and they're so thin, they look like t shirts, and i also got her thermal tights, long socks, housecoat and leg warmers. She had to laugh
when she saw all this stuff, as she didn;t realise she complained about the cold so much. Have to add in my defence, she also got loads of nice
stuff, jewellery box, smellies,and so on and so on. But this box was labelled the "warm box" and i nearly had a fit when i realised how much
warm stuff i'd got her LOL

I'd just like to say that Rosa is not wearing a tunic. It is a dress. Anna's is a dress too, albeit much shorter. I know what a tunic is and it ain't whats in the pic!

If you could possibly come off the defensive for a couple of minutes, I'd like anyone to tell me, with a degree of conviction, that Rosa's FT's are not totally superfluous to that outfit. In fact they make what may be a nice dress look awful. It would be so much nicer to see her legs, suitably clad in stockings or fake tanned, with a pair of heels.

Anna can be forgiven because if she didnt have the FT's on we'd be able to see right up.... Well. Never mind. It's still not an attractive look though.

It never fails to amaze me how some women will defend a fashion or a look to the hilt while its on trend (eg ugly boots!) and suddenly the scales fall from their eyes when the trend s gone and they're saying "god weren't those thongs showing above the waistband hideous".

Listen to the sound of my voice. Footless tights, leggings, whatever you call them look awful under dresses. Take my word for it. Tunic? possibly. Dress? no. I'm just trying to help you here. Ok?

Last edited:
I'd just like to say that Rosa is not wearing a tunic. It is a dress. Anna's is a dress too, albeit much shorter. I know what a tunic is and it ain't whats in the pic!

If you could possibly come off the defensive for a couple of minutes, I'd like anyone to tell me, with a degree of conviction, that Rosa's FT's are not totally superfluous to that outfit. In fact they make what may be a nice dress look awful. It would be so much nicer to see her legs, suitably clad in stockings or fake tanned, with a pair of heels.

Anna can be forgiven because if she didnt have the FT's on we'd be able to see right up.... Well. Never mind. It's still not an attractive look though.

It never fails to amaze me how some women will defend a fashion or a look to the hilt while its on trend (eg ugly boots!) and suddenly the scales fall from their eyes when the trend s gone and they're saying "god weren't those thongs showing above the waistband hideous".

Listen to the sound of my voice. Footless tights, leggings, whatever you call them look awful under dresses. Take my word for it. Tunic? possibly. Dress? no. I'm just trying to help you here. Ok?

LOL Burls you crack me up. Tell me honey, what do you wear over the top of YOUR leggings, I`m sure we`d all love to know ?

LOL Burls you crack me up. Tell me honey, what do you wear over the top of YOUR leggings, I`m sure we`d all love to know ?

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole V!

Another point.... The leggings in the pic are right down to the ankle, which is why I called them FT's. the times when I have seen them looking ok have been when they are mid calf length with a nice shoe and a suitable tunic (not dress!) top.

I agree, footless tights or leggings look odd under dresses, because they cut off the leg a bit like shoes with ankle straps do. This appears to shorten the length of the leg. They are fine with a tunic or a baggy sweater though, and the right shoes. Dresses look best with tights, as thick as you like.

I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole V!

Another point.... The leggings in the pic are right down to the ankle, which is why I called them FT's. the times when I have seen them looking ok have been when they are mid calf length with a nice shoe and a suitable tunic (not dress!) top.

You have nice calves then Burls lol ? :grin:

Leggings are the work of the devil in my opinion!! I had footless tights on today, but with socks and long boots, therefore to anyone else's eyes they were tights! I only have them as I made a mistake when buying what I assumed to be 80 denier tights, lol

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

What's the male equivalent of the leggings then?
Is it the hideous 3/4 length trouser and the sandal or the elasticated track suit bottoms finishing just above the ankle, the trainer and the long sleeveless vest???

Is it the hideous 3/4 length trouser and the sandal or the elasticated track suit bottoms finishing just above the ankle, the trainer and the long sleeveless vest???

'Meggings' apparently. I read an article about them recently. I for one will not be sporting them on the grounds that I am far too old and don't have the legs for them. It's taken me about five years to move on to a (relatively) skinny jean.

Totally agree.

Any male over the age of 10 wearing a 3/4 trouser should be reprimanded. Over the age of 21 just shoot him.

Latest posts

Back