Alison Young

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Alison did seem more presentable in the early days, wearing her blue overalls that matched the old QVC L- screen graphic. ~ Even though she would brush her high bleached hair constantly with her Aveda brush, and promote blue and black Malva shampoo. Of course, she has never been a fashionista, I remember her wedding pictures, and found it a little dated that she chose to have her hair in a french plait, Duchess of York (Fergie) inspired. I think in those days, I tended to listen to her advice more, because at the time it was new, novel, the nearest to it at the time was gaining advice from the cosmetic dept at a big store, but the main benefit of QVC, no pressure into buying whatever the lets say, Chanel rep applied to your face.

Alison has changed, a few pluses and more minuses... Im sure she is considered part of the QVC bricks and mortar, similar to Bruce Forsyth at the BBC

I would say bring back the overalls and maybe bleach wash the teeth! I give her credit however for being relatively natural and not plastic fantastic

Last edited:
I guess the main problem i see with Ay is that she is labelled as an independant beauty expert on Qvc however she then does full hours with all the major brands which makes no sense at all and comprises her posistion as independant IMO, each brand has an expert so there is no need for Ay to be there during that show. She would be better suited sticking to her Beauty fix hours and in the salon with Alison, as this gives her the freedom to pick and choose which brands and products are featured on air.

So is AY an independant beauty expert of QVC or just as sales woman like the other presenters, im thinking its the latter.

I have found this an interesting thread as I never buy beauty items so therefore rarely watch AY and know nothing about her knowledge of make up.
I think everyone agrees that the voice is a big turn off but I suppose that is not really her fault and she would get stick if she tried to fake it.

I recall she wore a grey trouser suit at one time (still as part of some dodgy Q ads) but appears to have gained some weight and so appears not to have been able to adapt to a style to suit the "spread". At least she isn't forced into Q's fashion items day in and day out unlike the others.

I think a decent cut would help overcome whatever hair problems she may have. Middle age comes to us all and it can be unkind! PS it doesn't get any better after the menopause no matter what they say!

Just have to say regarding her hair, having an underactive thyroid causes dry, brittle hair and even with meds can take a long time to recover. All the conditioner in the world won't help without the correct dosage of thyroxine and there is the problem. The right dosage is a minefield to adjust and get prescribed, docs are unhappy to prescribe to physical need and rely only on test results. They need to go hand in hand to achieve optimum health. She is possibly under prescribed, like millions of people globally, because of her dry hair and puffy eyes and, if weight watching, struggling to maintain her waistline irrespective of her age. There are days when she appears bloated facially, bad days come with the good with this condition and fluid retention can be an early sign that, if already on medication, it may need upping.

I wasn't aware that AY has a thyroid problem so apologies for my comments on her hair condition. My late Mum always had beautiful locks until her thyroid issues so I can understand the difficulties. That aside, AY still needs to revamp her style and cut down on her screeching and interruptions!

I think it would be hard for her to change. She's been like that for years and her screechy crow-like voice - well that's not her fault. I was going to spend a couple of days at Grayshott Hall Spa where she trained. They were offering specials and I just felt like getting away from it it all. They haven't emailed me back yet :( If I do go there I will see if anyone remembers her!
I wasn't aware that AY has a thyroid problem so apologies for my comments on her hair condition. My late Mum always had beautiful locks until her thyroid issues so I can understand the difficulties. That aside, AY still needs to revamp her style and cut down on her screeching and interruptions!

Another thought, she could be a Judy Finnigan type. Heavy drinking can also cause a bloated face, bags under the eyes and general hyper-grumpy/moodiness. I should know. SHUT UP ALISON. lol. Seriously tho. Is AY a secret alco popper?

She only admits to snowballs at Christmas. My sister's a now sober alcoholic but I don't see the signs in AY's face, I think she's just a normal lass fast approaching 50. The problem she has is pushing us to buy products to hold back the signs of aging when they clearly don't work for her, thyroid problems or not. She never tempers her hard sell with a list of health condition exemptions that the face cream won't work for.

There may well come a time when Q wants a younger face or their Beauty Department (please let it not be Will!)

I agree that Alison could do with a bit of a revamp, however if she has an underactive thyroid as I have, she probably feels really tired and bloated some days and it certainly has an effect on hair, nails and weight. I agree with other poster about doctors relying solely on blood tests as opposed to actually asking how the patient actually feels. Alison should get doc to check her thyroid levels and take into account her symptoms.

We're all just surmising that her "look" is down to thyroid issues, maybe that's not a factor.

When I met her face to face she was really petite and I would not call her overweight or puffy. I think she gets puffy eyes because of natural ageing and tiredness. Her hair was fine so really I think it's the choice of clothes and hairstyle on air that is the problem. She seemed more relaxed in jeans and a cotton top when she did that vid at her home with will as opposed to her QVC wardrobe. All that tailoring, structured clothes and flouncy frills around the neck do nothing for her. She looks uncomfortable as if she can't wait to get changed.

I also think with that cocktail of creams lotions and potions she "tries out" her skin and eyes must not know whether they are coming or going. Product overload. Maybe she should just use a few basic products and stick to them to give her skin a break.

She needs a good slap in her face area! lool! I heard that she got up to some dodgy things in a hotel in Provence where she and Alexith Murdoch from L'Occitane were staying!

I have to say that I also think AY is well past due a change. Its not just a case of people commenting that they don't like her clothes (even though most of them ARE appalling!), it's that she doesn't look the part of beauty expert and that makes it harder to take anything she says seriously. If you look at any of the counters in Debenhams, Selfridges etc, all of the makeup ladies have smart uniforms, hair up, simple shoes etc because they are supposed to look the part. Granted most of them are wearing their whole range in one go but they do tend to be well turned out. AY just isn't.

I think nowadays the only reason she's listened to is that she shouts louder than everyone else and seems to have supreme confidence in her knowledge (no matter how of date it is). People mistake being the loudest for being the most knowledgable, buy her wares and so she stays in a job. The more out of date she gets, the louder she shouts which is why perhaps none of us remember her being as loud and obnoxious in the earlier days. Back then she was newly trained, actually worked on clients and seemed at least to be a little more independent (there was no ass kissing in those days really). Now she's a sales clerk same as the rest of them, her knowledge and skills are horribly out of date so she just roars over everyone else to be heard.

What amazes me is that she just doesn't go and *get* updated! Reading blogs would certainly help (and this constant excuse of 'oh I can't use a computer' is nonsense) and she could easily do training in makeup artistry and there are a miriad of books out there about ingreeeeeeejunts etc. She often says stuff that we know is not true - how do we know? Because we READ! And research and test, all the things she is supposed to be doing as our resident beauty expert. Honestly QVC, it's time to cut the slack and get a bit updated.

Last edited:
She needs a good slap in her face area! lool! I heard that she got up to some dodgy things in a hotel in Provence where she and Alexith Murdoch from L'Occitane were staying!

Taking things to the extreme don't you think? It's one thing discussing her fashion sense and shouting and interrupting tactics but I certainly don't think physical contact is necessary!

Taking things to the extreme don't you think? It's one thing discussing her fashion sense and shouting and interrupting tactics but I certainly don't think physical contact is necessary!

Probably would have a job retrieving hand from all the layered product, anyhow.

I heard her say tonight on the Gatineau show that she had an underactive thyroid.

Most of the women in my family have that very common condition but it doesn't mean they go about so badly turned out - even when their jobs are not about beauty and image. For the condition, there is thyroxin. For everything else there is continued education and a stylist.

It is all getting a little bit too harsh. If you do not like her, then don't watch her. I hope she does not read this forum.

Latest posts

Back