Alison Young - package and postage...grrr

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

missmarple55

Registered Shopper
Is it wrong for me to get so wound up at her insistence on saying package and postage and not postage and packing like everyone else? :D

LOL, I know she's right strictly speaking as you pack before you post, but why does she have to try to be clever all the time...she is very annoying!

It is odd that she says it that way but technically she is correct, you pack it then post it, not post then pack it!! :laughing:

I'll get me coat!! :wave:

To be pedantic about it...you have to pack the stuff before you post it!!!!

Sazza, were our typing fingers joined as we fairly much typed the same thing at the same time!!! Spooky!:46:

LOL, I know she's right strictly speaking as you pack before you post, but why does she have to try to be clever all the time...she is very annoying!

It is odd that she says it that way but technically she is correct, you pack it then post it, not post then pack it!! :laughing:

Yes, you're both right and I'd never really thought about it. Yet for as long as I can remember everybody said/wrote the 'post' bit first- on TV, radio and magazines. Well, perhaps everybody else in the whole world is wrong and Alison is right. :)

You too Sim, AY is right. Do we need a special 'pedants' slot' on st.com?

Last edited:

Sazza, you said it before me, I was LITERALLY going to say the same thing....lol

My coat was on the same hanger as yours.......:3:

Can I join as well? I can't stand it when presenters (especially the NN woman) talk about laying on the bed. Are they chickens and have they never heard of transitive verbs??

Is it wrong for me to get so wound up at her insistence on saying package and postage and not postage and packing like everyone else? :D

THought I was the only one , this drives me scatty , I find myself screaming at the screen everytime she says it , its sad really . I must get out more .

Can I join as well? I can't stand it when presenters (especially the NN woman) talk about laying on the bed. Are they chickens and have they never heard of transitive verbs??

I am extremely embarrased to say I havent :8: but..........I did understand what you meant and now I have looked it up I can say that I have learned something new today:1:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9J2NwyxUZ9o

Bet

That is so funny because it drives me potty when she says that, too! I thought it was just me...

I am extremely embarrased to say I havent :8: but..........I did understand what you meant and now I have looked it up I can say that I have learned something new today:1:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9J2NwyxUZ9o

Bet

No need to be embarrassed Bet, you're probably not a tv presenter! I'm an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teacher, so I'm afraid all sorts of mistakes annoy me (for example the misuse of less and fewer). It's good to learn something new though, isn't it? I still make mistakes and learn things every day, I'm sure we all do.

No need to be embarrassed Bet, you're probably not a tv presenter! I'm an EFL (English as a Foreign Language) teacher, so I'm afraid all sorts of mistakes annoy me (for example the misuse of less and fewer). It's good to learn something new though, isn't it? I still make mistakes and learn things every day, I'm sure we all do.

Arrrggg, now I want to know what the 'misuse' is. I have a compulsive need to look up everything I dont understand on Google - there must be some medical term for it.

I'm not very good at English grammar so dont notice many of the mistakes people make but one thing I dislike is incorrect spelling of peoples names. It somehow seems disrespectful. Having said that I have done it a few times on here, not intentially but maybe due to my 'puter speed, what I type doesnt always appear on screen and some of the letters that I have typed, dont appear! So apologies to anyone whose 'Monica' I have spelled incorrectly

Bet

The less & fewer thing drives me absolutely batty & they all do it! I have to bite my tongue not to correct people generally, but these people are professional presenters. It's their job to talk so they should be able to do so properly. For the life of me I don't know why someone in QVC can't sit them down & teach them the difference.

(For those of you still in the dark about the difference... Fewer needs to be used when there are not as many items, less is for when there is not as much of an item. For example you can have less than half the day's stock still available, but you have fewer than one hundred items left. I hope that makes sense...) :)

Latest posts

Back