A'kin

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Interesting re: parabens. I've just finished the Ugly Side of Beauty and am now reading Toxic Beauty and both say parabens are oestrogenic and can be found in breast tissue (and that some times have been found in urine as well) . I've also learnt, which I didn't know, that the US uses ingredients in its skin care that are banned by the EU so theirs is left safe than ours!

Agree that natural oils can cause problems though. Everything is a chemical at the end of the day and what one person reacts too, won't always affect another.

Complete mine-field this ingredients lark!!

Yay! I will be V. interested to see what she thinks of them. :)

Hi Love A'kin and Mibbette.

Love A'kin, I am looking forward to trying the Christopher Drummond samples that Mibbette has kindly let me try.

Mibbette, Thank you for being so generous.

:mysmilie_687:

Louise

Interesting re: parabens. I've just finished the Ugly Side of Beauty and am now reading Toxic Beauty and both say parabens are oestrogenic and can be found in breast tissue (and that some times have been found in urine as well) . I've also learnt, which I didn't know, that the US uses ingredients in its skin care that are banned by the EU so theirs is left safe than ours!

Agree that natural oils can cause problems though. Everything is a chemical at the end of the day and what one person reacts too, won't always affect another.

Cupcake, I am currently reading Toxic Beauty. I am finding it very interesting. It goes into great detail about the effects certain ingredients can have on the body.

That's what started all of this off. Last year I was using Spezia Organics then I felt it was too expensive due to the recession and cutting back I switched to No 7. Now that I have been reading Toxic Beauty I am wanting to use something more natural.

Update on the A'kin products - I have a few breakouts at the moment and my cheeks are quite flushed after I've cleansed. Has anyone else experienced this?

Cupcake, I am currently reading Toxic Beauty. I am finding it very interesting. It goes into great detail about the effects certain ingredients can have on the body.

Update on the A'kin products - I have a few breakouts at the moment and my cheeks are quite flushed after I've cleansed. Has anyone else experienced this?

Good book isn't it?!

Re: reaction, the only one I have had with A'kin is with the Rosehip & Shea face cream - it made my rosacea flare up (I get red lumps when my skin doesn't like something) after a week or so as it was too rich for my face, haven't gone red with it or anything. Maybe stop using it for a few days, then try one product at a time and if it occurs again, you'll know which one it is / which one to stop using.

Good book isn't it?!

Re: reaction, the only one I have had with A'kin is with the Rosehip & Shea face cream - it made my rosacea flare up (I get red lumps when my skin doesn't like something) after a week or so as it was too rich for my face, haven't gone red with it or anything. Maybe stop using it for a few days, then try one product at a time and if it occurs again, you'll know which one it is / which one to stop using.

It is a good book.

I will stop using it for a couple of days and just try each product by itself and then introduce each one.

I must admit I do like the textures.

Cupcake is that the one by Dawn Mellowship or Samuel Epstein?

I have used the rosehip serum and cellular serum for about 2 yrs, and I loved it.
Sadly late last year I got a reaction and white bumps on my skin, and found out I reacted to the serums..... which is a shame as I liked the results at first
I am using again the Decleor arommessences, which never have caused breakouts

Another update from me.

Unfortunately A'kin isn't agreeing with my skin.

I am only 22 and I think its too rich for my skin. So I have gone back to using No7.

Tyson, they do make another cleanser, a Sandlewood one that foams and washes off. I use it often.

Another update from me.

Unfortunately A'kin isn't agreeing with my skin.

I am only 22 and I think its too rich for my skin. So I have gone back to using No7.

Oh No what a shame...:( I used to get spots and bumps and rashes all the time, but thankfully not since I've been using A'kin. Cucake gives very good advice about working out which product is causing the trouble.

As Concordia says, A'kin do another gel based cleanser called Sandalwood and Neroli and several different moisturisers.

My daughter is almost 15 with the attendant teenage combination skin and she loves the Lavender and Rose for it's light gel - like consistency. There's also the oil free mattifying White tea and Aloe moisturiser and the Unscented range which has lovely lighter textures.

Either way my lovely, don't give up the search for a less toxic skincare regime. If you find that nothing from A'kin works for you then there are other brands to try.

Tyson, they do make another cleanser, a Sandlewood one that foams and washes off. I use it often.

There's also a Neroli one. The A'kin washes are designated to particular skin types. If I try it I'd have to get the neroli one as I have combo skin. x

There's also a Neroli one. The A'kin washes are designated to particular skin types. If I try it I'd have to get the neroli one as I have combo skin. x

My tried my Mums Neroli one (when QVC stocked it) and it made my skin feel tight and it reacted to it in the same way.

I might try the sensitive option once my skin calms down.

Oooh! I'm so excited. After much consideration, I have just ordered an A'kin try me product - A'kin 3 Piece Hydrating Rose & Radiance Collection, which contains the rosehip oil, 30ml of the creamy cleanser and 50ml of the radiance moisturiser. I'm so excited! In fact, it was such good value (compared toLE0 that I had to restrain myself from ordering 2. I decided that I will give this set a go, before ordering more. I hope it is as good for my dry skin as others have found it.

I was a bit naughty, as I also ordered the Arran Aromatics After the Rain gift set, which includes the shower gel and EDT. Wanted 2 of those, but was only able to order one, as it was coming up out of stock, so I am really hoping that I don't get sent someone's used return.

Anyway, it is 2 a.m. so I can go to sleep now! That's if I can sleep!

Oooh! I'm so excited. After much consideration, I have just ordered an A'kin try me product - A'kin 3 Piece Hydrating Rose & Radiance Collection, which contains the rosehip oil, 30ml of the creamy cleanser and 50ml of the radiance moisturiser. I'm so excited! In fact, it was such good value (compared toLE0 that I had to restrain myself from ordering 2. I decided that I will give this set a go, before ordering more. I hope it is as good for my dry skin as others have found it.

:mysmilie_348: LLE do you mind me asking where you got your try me product from?ive been searching for a starter pack with the creamy cleanser but couldnt find any
:mysmilie_687:

Hi Overtherainbow - it was from QVC, and I'm quite surprised at the value, which makes a nice change with QVC these days!

Item: A'kin 3 Piece Hydrating Rose & Radiance Collection
Item number: 228093

Item(s) total: £19.27
P&P total: £3.45

Contains 23ml rosehip oil, 30ml creamy cleanser and 50ml of the moisturiser.

I can't wait - hope it agres with me.

:mysmilie_698:

Hiya!

I'm interested too to know which of the Toxic Beauty books you ladies have been reading?

Also, to the poster who found the A'kin too rich, I'd suggest using either a tiny amount of the oil OR the moisturiser but not both together. I'm 37 and only use the oil when the weather is really harsh (like recently!) as it tends to be a little rich. But I use the dry/very dry Rosehip & Shea moisturiser on my combination skin and it never breaks me out. Just use a weeny bit and warm it in your fingers first.

Hope that helps!

Tx

Hiya!

I'm interested too to know which of the Toxic Beauty books you ladies have been reading?

Also, to the poster who found the A'kin too rich, I'd suggest using either a tiny amount of the oil OR the moisturiser but not both together. I'm 37 and only use the oil when the weather is really harsh (like recently!) as it tends to be a little rich. But I use the dry/very dry Rosehip & Shea moisturiser on my combination skin and it never breaks me out. Just use a weeny bit and warm it in your fingers first.

Hope that helps!

Tx

Hi,

I did try the moisturiser and oil separately and it was still rich.

The book that we have been reading is
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1856753069/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

My skin has been sensitive these past couple of days, so I have stopped using the A'kin.

Hi,

I did try the moisturiser and oil separately and it was still rich.

The book that we have been reading is
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1856753069/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

My skin has been sensitive these past couple of days, so I have stopped using the A'kin.

That's a shame Tyson but clearly you're just too darned young :mysmilie_61: You can keep A'kin in the back of your mind for when you're old like me and need something more LOL!

Thanks for the info on the book, have ordered it from Amazon.

Tx

Latest posts

Back