Film reviews (no spoilers)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

One of my favourite films but boy is it dark and melancholy despite the brilliant soundtrack and the dance classes that all us ladies of a certain age attended when we were kids?! I tried, and failed 3 times to get into see the film when it first came out, and if I remember rightly a dumbed down version was made a bit later and I wasn't interested in that but I managed to see the original version on video when I was in my mid twenties. I actually wonder whether had I got to see it when I was 13 whether I would have been less traumatised (for want of a better word) by some of the scenes and themes than I was when I was old enough to understand them - Gang rape, violence, racism, suicide and the general air of sadness. Yes, I'm sure it would probably have washed over me and I'd've only seen John Travolta busting his moves on the dancefloor to the music of the moment! Quadrophenia is also a favourite of mine and again I was too young to see it when it came out but I got in alright and since watching it time and time again I do find it quite melancholy. At the time to me it was just a cool movie that tied in with the mod revival of the day and of course like SNF there's a brilliant soundtrack to go with it! Grease on the other hand was just a massive dose of fun and one of my favourites too - I even liked Grease 2, Staying Alive on the other hand was complete crap!
It was the first “18” film I saw at “the pictures” (as we called the cinema in those days). I was 17 and to be fair I was a bit of an innocent and a lot of it wouldn’t have properly registered with me.
They did bring out an edited PG version a couples of years later, chopped about 10 minutes out of it to sanitise it so they could capitalise on a younger audience.
Also found this
In 2010, Saturday Night Fever was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry.

“You think you can be friends with a girl?” 😏

Oh, by the way, the film I meant was The Ring, not the Circle. Brain wandered off.

Does anyone remember the follow-up film to SNF? Called Staying Alive and about John going on to train as a dancer. Believe it or not, directed by Sly Stallone. I am not joking.

Oh, by the way, the film I meant was The Ring, not the Circle. Brain wandered off.

Does anyone remember the follow-up film to SNF? Called Staying Alive and about John going on to train as a dancer. Believe it or not, directed by Sly Stallone. I am not joking.
I wasn't particularly keen on John Travolta until he got older. He was very good in Phenomenon and Swordfish with Hugh Jackman.

Yes I mentioned it earlier I just remember being really disappointed. I was so hoping that Stephanie from the Original SNF film would figure in it somewhere and maybe a couple of the other characters, but there was nothing. If I remember rightly nobody or nowhere from the original was even mentioned. To me it wasn't really a sequel to SNF at all , just a random dance based film with the same actor in the main role and a similarity in titles (Bee Gees song) and a few Bee Gees songs thrown in for good measure - Terrible film.

By the way, the dog film is actually called Arthur The King.

Anyway, Amazon Prime have the Elvis film, so decided to watch it last night. Now a friend went to see it with her grown up daughters, well they treated her to the cinema. She raved about it, and she is a long time Elvis fan, been to Graceland 4 or 5 times over the years. Even goes each year to an Elvis week long event in Yarmouth, she goes next month.

I hated the film! Now I had read people saying Tom Hanks as Col Tom Parker was bad, damn he was just awful! I was shocked at how bad his acting was. The film bored me. The soundtrack was great.

This is an oddly placed comment that I hope won't get deleted. But here I go. There I was, wandering Youtube and saw a recommendation for a film: in full. I am Gabriel. Why I hope it won't get deleted is it's a very religious themed film, if the title isn't too much of a give away ;) My review is, if anyone is interested, it's about a boy that goes to a 'dying' town in Texas. I recommend it highly ;)

Latest posts

Back