Who are these "theDX" people then?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Years ago, when the Leisure company I worked for, changed hands, the new company insisted on having everything DX'd daily to their head office -receipts, till rolls, staff wage totals etc. It's all computerised now, of course.
It was a real pain because the DX office would only accept the envelope between 12-1, and if we missed this window of opportunity, the Company were not pleased. The office was a good 25 minute walk away and I either had to keep the cellarman back to take the envelope, which meant paying him for an extra hour or send another member of staff at our busiest time of day. I've had a grudge against the DX system ever since as they were totally inflexible and I could never understand why they wouldn't accept the post earlier in the day...:confused:
To add insult to injury, the post still went astray in their "system" at times....
Hope you have your parcels by now LoveA'kin......:)

Who in their right mind would have a delivery organisdation work from 9 - 5 Mo-Fri?????
Do not even get me started on Parcelforce who charge extra to redeliver on a Sat!! What the hell is happening to customer service??????????

Unfortunately there is the human aspect who are trained only to work between the hours of daylight. It's an entire new mindset and attitude to change our working habits and would in part, solve a lot of traffic congestion problems. We are still in the mindset that a job is a job for life when in reality, we need to break from that kind of attitude.

Problem is we all want to earn money to spend it on leisure activities/luxury items all at the same time. Suppose it is a western attitude where we view work as a means to buy more consumer items to show we are successful. Whereas in some countries, work is a means to buy food and exist. I'm not saying work is everything but it needs to be balanced against our expectations from others.

Unfortunately there is the human aspect who are trained only to work between the hours of daylight. It's an entire new mindset and attitude to change our working habits and would in part, solve a lot of traffic congestion problems. We are still in the mindset that a job is a job for life when in reality, we need to break from that kind of attitude.

Problem is we all want to earn money to spend it on leisure activities/luxury items all at the same time. Suppose it is a western attitude where we view work as a means to buy more consumer items to show we are successful. Whereas in some countries, work is a means to buy food and exist. I'm not saying work is everything but it needs to be balanced against our expectations from others.

I don't buy consumer items because i want to show i'm successful i buy them because i want or need them.
I'm afraid when i pay a company i.e. qvc, a lot of money to deliver goods i do expect them to be delivered, and if that means on a saturday because i'm at home then, then i don't think that's to much too ask

I wasn't making a dig at anyone who buys off QVC! It's a general statement about how I perceive buying items which are luxuries to some. In some eyes, it does show that you are successful as you have the money to do so. Nothing wrong with that at all and after all, if you have earned it you have the right to spend as you please.

But going back to my earlier point, regardless of how much you pay for delivery, people are reluctant to work to times they are not used to or want to due to things like family committments or contractually obliged not to.

Its the same in any form of work, for example, this year my group is going to be off for Christmas more or less providing no coverage from the 22nd Dec- 4th Jan. Management aren't happy but as we pointed out, our group was working through last years period and others were not. Is it fair to the end customer that we do this for the convenience of them? You could argue that we employ more people but we can't (in fact, we are losing people) but it comes down to the same thing and someone would need to sacrifice their plans which comes at a cost (and we cannot carry holidays over again). So if you place the delivery drivers in the same context, you still have problems with resourcing.

I know what your saying Sheepdog but surely a delivery co should either ensure they have enough drivers to cover the amount of packages they have to deliver or have some working on shifts to ensure they all arrive on time. If i place an order and am told it will arrive in 5-7 working days then i don't think it's unreasonable to expect it in that time frame.
I wouldn't want anyone to be forced in to working, at the cost of spending time with their family but as i said in an earlier post the C in QVC is meant to stand for convenience. we pay very high P&P charges what for?
Meanwhile i'm still waiting for my Elemis TSV Grrrr

I don't very often shop with QVC, but I spotted this thread becasue The Jewellery Channel also used TheDX, and the delivery problems drive me nuts. In fact, I've stopped shopping with them because of it. I used to have to arrange for deliveries to be sent either to a neighbour or to my work address, and then leave my driving license (or similar) with the receptionist or the neighbour. And woe betide me if the neighbour had to pop out - no chance of receiving my delivery then!

I don't very often shop with QVC, but I spotted this thread becasue The Jewellery Channel also used TheDX, and the delivery problems drive me nuts. In fact, I've stopped shopping with them because of it. I used to have to arrange for deliveries to be sent either to a neighbour or to my work address, and then leave my driving license (or similar) with the receptionist or the neighbour. And woe betide me if the neighbour had to pop out - no chance of receiving my delivery then!

Oh Blimey! I'm getting the impression that they are both expensive - and cr@p - so I'm wondering whose bottom they kissed at QVC to land the contract!

Dear QVC (sure you read the forum - if not you should)

But like Miss Magpie I would definitely buy more from QVC (like the Quality and Value bit) if they could sort out the Convenience. I work Mon-Fri typical hours and am not prepared to wait at home for a Courier to deliver who leaves a card to deliver again during 9-5 - but no option to collect from a depo. Please provide more options when ordering like Royal Mail (which suits me because if I'm out I can collect from sorting office at a time convenient to me).

Well if hospitals, supermarkets, pubs and restaurants etc can get staff to work after the sun goes down then I don't think humans only wanting to work in daylight can be the problem! :D

The company is just not set up for the convenience of the end user.

It's like the Post Office. :rolleyes: Lunchtime is the busiest time of the day and the queue's out the door cos people come in on their lunchbreak. You'd think they'd put the most staff on at that time of day - but actually there are less staff on at lunchtime than the rest of the day because the PO staff are all full time, and they have to eat lunch too.

Meanwhile there are loads of Mums looking for a few hours P/T work from 11 til 2:30 who could cover the lunchbreak period - but the Post Office doesn't want to employ them. My mum went for a job at the PO, but she was hoping for P/T or a jobshare and they weren't interested even though she was experienced and capable and willing to work for what they were paying!

It's the management humans who need to be more flexible about the set up, not the workers in my opinion.

I emailed QVC about this yesterday and I've just received a reply saying that they'll get back to me within 72 hours. No rush then!

Ooh and just to stir the pudding. My neighbour has been off sick this week and confined to her sofa and she says that the only entertainment she gets is curtain twitching! Anyway... she says that the only person who has tried and failed to deliver a parcel is the Postman. Everybody else she saw just put something through the door. So when did this DX bunch of cowboys try to deliver then? :confused:

Well if hospitals, supermarkets, pubs and restaurants etc can get staff to work after the sun goes down then I don't think humans only wanting to work in daylight can be the problem! :D

The company is just not set up for the convenience of the end user.

It's like the Post Office. :rolleyes: Lunchtime is the busiest time of the day and the queue's out the door cos people come in on their lunchbreak. You'd think they'd put the most staff on at that time of day - but actually there are less staff on at lunchtime than the rest of the day because the PO staff are all full time, and they have to eat lunch too.

Meanwhile there are loads of Mums looking for a few hours P/T work from 11 til 2:30 who could cover the lunchbreak period - but the Post Office doesn't want to employ them. My mum went for a job at the PO, but she was hoping for P/T or a jobshare and they weren't interested even though she was experienced and capable and willing to work for what they were paying!

It's the management humans who need to be more flexible about the set up, not the workers in my opinion.

I totally agree with you. There is also the issue of maximising your profit margine, so employing less people to do the same work, but thereby saving staff pay. To offset that we can employ self service counters & so on, and hey: we can let even more people go. And the only thing that suffers all along the way is so called customer service.

Who gets "trained" to only work daylight hours? I don't understand the statement.

Any company that wants to keep their customer base and indeed strive to expand and make a profit in the current financial climate will do whatever it takes including working 24/7. That aside we live in a society that wants everything "now"

Large container trucks and vans of every description are criss-crossing the country every minute of every day delivering everything from the basic requirements to make the products we want to the end product itself. Delivering to large and small factories and industries. Supermarkets and suppliers.

So who are these DX company? I haven' heard of them before. Probably because I haven't ordered from QVC in a long time. I refuse to give my money to a company who provides such a bad service. It may seem you are getting a good price on a product but the delivery costs and times are ridiculous. It may seem you are saving a few pounds on a product but the delivery cost negates this slight saving.

I have ordered nearly all my Christmas presents online and also eg footwear and clothes for myself and my daughter and also kitchen appliances. I used various well know "bricks and mortar" companies who also provide a delivery service and also companies who just supply their products online.

I was astonished and delighted with the service from each and every supplier They obviously knew how to provide a good service! Emails were sent when the order was placed and also when the goods were dispatched. I received the goods withing 3/4 days and that was delivering from the UK to Ireland! Also, if it was a small package the postman delivered. Large packages arrived at approx 7.30-8am.

The odd time when I placed a large order with multiple items maybe one would be sent separately-at no extra cost. I can't see that happening with QVC.

I do watch QVC now and then just to see some of the TSV's and watch some of the cosmetic items. But give them my hard earned cash for a poor service- no thanks.

Ooh I know - My orders from Amazon etc seem to take about 48 hours with free delivery, and my friend bought some Elemis last week from The Bay and got it the very next day. I'm still waiting for my Elemis TSV from a week ago, and I'm not even really expecting it yet cos ten days to two weeks is par for the course for me.

Dear QVC (sure you read the forum - if not you should)

But like Miss Magpie I would definitely buy more from QVC (like the Quality and Value bit) if they could sort out the Convenience. I work Mon-Fri typical hours and am not prepared to wait at home for a Courier to deliver who leaves a card to deliver again during 9-5 - but no option to collect from a depo. Please provide more options when ordering like Royal Mail (which suits me because if I'm out I can collect from sorting office at a time convenient to me).

:mysmilie_348: Oh wouldn't it be a good idea if we could choose how it's delivered! That would be fab for me.

Ooh I know - My orders from Amazon etc seem to take about 48 hours with free delivery, and my friend bought some Elemis last week from The Bay and got it the very next day. I'm still waiting for my Elemis TSV from a week ago, and I'm not even really expecting it yet cos ten days to two weeks is par for the course for me.

I'm still waiting for mine too, they're going to be getting a very snotty phone call from me tomorrow if i don't get it today.

Who gets "trained" to only work daylight hours? I don't understand the statement.

Any company that wants to keep their customer base and indeed strive to expand and make a profit in the current financial climate will do whatever it takes including working 24/7. That aside we live in a society that wants everything "now"

You've answered your own question there. People don't want to work shifts if they can. It's the way we have been brought up: everything happens between 9 and 5pm because, historically, we didn't have electricity so daylight was the only time we could work. That or get up early but then who wants to do that either?

Keeping your customer base is one thing but keeping your good employees is another. You make them, force would be more apt, to change their working hours and they will go and find another employer who will be more in line with their requirements. There is a trade-off and no clear solution unless we change our attitudes towards work. I can tell you from personal experience, that asking parents to work slightly different hours ends up being a battle and those without families are the ones to pick it up. Then it's never the times you actually need them for. Even the underlying threat of redundancy to us all makes no difference.

Ironically, since someone mentioned the Post Office, the same applies to Banks and supermarkets. Especially the banks and something we accept as part of the course. Do they pay attention and do they try and sort it out? It's only recently they bothered to open past 4pm (if that)/open on saturday and make us suffer yet we give them our money for the honour!

Large container trucks and vans of every description are criss-crossing the country every minute of every day delivering everything from the basic requirements to make the products we want to the end product itself. Delivering to large and small factories and industries. Supermarkets and suppliers.

Ever been involved with logistics? I can tell you it's a nightmare to plan efficiently to utilise the route to the best. You'd be surprised on how many trucks are empty on a particular route but in the overall picture, it works out cheaper as the loads later on are full. Now, getting everyone else to utilise that space is not easy and there are sub-contractors who do this for big companies.

Why don't they just use Parcel Force?
If you are out they take it back to the depo which is usually potioned in you local area and isn't located in the back end of beyond or on some industrial estate.

Apparently they have either my 4 Elemis TSVs or my big grey ring that I didn't buy when it was a TSV but later succumbed to.

Evidently they attempted delivery today, and astonishingly in these times of high unemployment I was out - at work - and the house was empty. (Like most households would be I imagine.)

Now... Royal Mail - via My lovely postman - take the parcels back to the depot which is local and I collect them on my next day off.

MyHermes ladies keep a track of my days off and arrive laden down then!

This shower make me log onto their website ring a number and arrange a redelivery - next wednesday is the earliest available. They only deliver Mon-Fri from 9-5 and guess where I'll be? (Yep - at work.)

Whose bright idea was this then? :mad:

Oh - and they will require a signature and identification before they can leave my parcel with me.

Love A'Kin, why don't you just get your orders delivered to your work address. I find that so much more convenient.

Im really sorry to read that LE Lover and Love A'kin are still waiting for their Elemis tsv's.. What buggers these couriers are.. I suppose if enough people complain to qvc, rather than keep quiet about it, well, surely qvc will have to act.. Otherwise they will lose more custom.. Are you allowed to choose RM as a preferred delivery service, if your current courier is shite?
Did your big grey ring turn up Love A'kin? :)

Im really sorry to read that LE Lover and Love A'kin are still waiting for their Elemis tsv's.. What buggers these couriers are.. I suppose if enough people complain to qvc, rather than keep quiet about it, well, surely qvc will have to act.. Otherwise they will lose more custom.. Are you allowed to choose RM as a preferred delivery service, if your current courier is shite?
Did your big grey ring turn up Love A'kin? :)

Thanks Dasiy. I have lost count of the times i've complained. They told me they will investigate the problem but i've heard nothing. I requested my parcels come via royal mail but apparantly it's not possible. I'm not a happy bunny
Still no sign of the Elemis TSV:mysmilie_73::mysmilie_73:
i've decided to wait a few more days and then i'm going to tell CS, it's way outside their 5-7 working days and ask for a refund on the P&P as i don't see why i should pay first class prices for a third rate service!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back